Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After the Nor'easter  (Read 1351 times)

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
After the Nor'easter
« on: April 05, 2018, 12:22:40 pm »

Here in Nova Scotia we were more fortunate than our American cousins during the four Nor'easter storms that blew through. Lots of branches lost, but we only lost power for about 14 hours during the third storm. While waiting for the power to come back on, the wife and I went down to the seaside to peek at the waves. I thought she might pose in the picture for scale, but she retreated to the car after only a couple of minutes.  :)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: After the Nor'easter
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 12:40:25 pm »

Very powerful rendering.

A question: I detect different color casts: bluish in the waves, and yellowish in the clouds... intentional?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 01:02:39 pm »

Excellent stuff! I don't see Slobodan's yellow cast, but I'm using an uncalibrated laptop screen.

Jeremy

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 01:35:34 pm »

Very powerful rendering.

A question: I detect different color casts: bluish in the waves, and yellowish in the clouds... intentional?

Any colour enhancements were applied universally, and not differently to clouds vs water. I do see a difference between the two in the pics. Can't reliably say about the original scene – the sun was peaking through, then disappearing within seconds as these dark clouds whipped by. These two shots were caught in between periods of driving rain/sleet. I was just trying to hold on to the camera and my hat at the same time.  :)

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 02:05:57 pm »

The 2nd is more than good.
(Do you know Courbets Waves? Reminds me.)

guido

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 02:07:24 pm »

Wonderful shots! You can feel the spray on your face!

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 03:27:14 pm »

I like the first very much because of the repetition of roughness in clouds, wave, and rockbed. For maximum drama, which the image surely allows, I would suggest using more of the tonal range for maximum contrast (not local contrast adjustment).

As for colordifferences, they appear natural to me although perhaps there is a problem with UV light here. Even so, with some additional saturation you may still retain the subtle colors but get a slightly more "romantic painterly" look.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 09:17:31 am »

The 2nd is more than good.
(Do you know Courbets Waves? Reminds me.)

I certainly share Courbet's fascination with waves and stormy seas. Interesting that Oscar points to a path for a more romantic painterly look, and Courbet is known for leading the Realism movement in 19th century French painting. Anyway, I'm glad I was able to convey some of the power that was on display. I can only imagine what it must of been like at the height of the storm during the night. When we drove there the next morning, the road leading into this place was heavily damaged in one section where the waves had breached a rock and concrete breakwater and torn up the asphalt.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 09:19:14 am »

I like them both very much, but the second is certainly my favourite of the two.

John R

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 07:28:12 pm »

Fantastic rendition. Like a painting in the quality of light. I really like the glow in the wave, and shimmer in the water on the bottom left of the second image. So reminiscent of the kind of light the glows on and off on mixed cloud day. It shimmers often, and our eyes can easily take it in, but is so hard to capture on sensor or film.

JR

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 07:19:29 am »

I like them both very much, but the second is certainly my favourite of the two.
+1; the second is stunning
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 08:14:03 am »

Fantastic rendition. Like a painting in the quality of light. I really like the glow in the wave, and shimmer in the water on the bottom left of the second image. So reminiscent of the kind of light the glows on and off on mixed cloud day. It shimmers often, and our eyes can easily take it in, but is so hard to capture on sensor or film.

JR

It's also an excellent excercise in white balance. Not to meddle with OP's original rendition, but attached is how i think i would like to render the scene. Not having been there i obviously am not burdened by the original experience.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 08:59:11 am »

With clouds, mist, vapor and sunlight, all near an ocean of moving water, your going to get all sorts of broken prismatic color. A visual delight!

Peter
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 11:00:43 am by petermfiore »

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 09:19:07 am »

It's also an excellent excercise in white balance. Not to meddle with OP's original rendition, but attached is how i think i would like to render the scene. Not having been there i obviously am not burdened by the original experience.

Definitely more neutral, Oscar. I sometimes struggle with the WB decision. At times the clouds really ARE blue-tinged, and when I look later at the pictures I wonder if they look real. Although these pictures were taken mid afternoon, the light where we were seemed almost blue-hour-ish at times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up