Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A quick and dirty comparison between C1 rendition and LR with Lumariver profiles  (Read 1836 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I published a poll comparing three of my cameras (P45+, Sony Alpha 900 and Sony A7rII) for color rendition. That comparison was done in Lightroom using DCP profiles generated using LumaRiver Profile Designer.

It has been suggested that the P45+ was put at disadvantage by not using Capture One (C1). A valid point.

I did a comparison of color rendition using my Lightroom/Lumariver based workflow with C1. The best way is to compare the layered tiff.

The idea with this posting is to look for the differences in color rendition. It is not intended as a color competion.

Here is an "executive summary":

This C1 standard rendition, with white balance on second neutral patch from the left. The image is somewhat dark, may be even murky. The patch number 7 on the lime is correct color and that also applies to patch number 8 on the orange. Reds (habaneros and chilly) somewhat off. Greens (lime and jalepino) correct.

On the ColorChecker blues are rendered oversaturated. Second patch top row is corresponding to Caucasian skin tone, that is near perfect.

This is Lightroom/Lumariver rendition, using a tone curve like C1.

Both orange and lemon (7) and orange (8) patches deviate, that was better in C1. The dark tones are somewhat lighter.

On the ColorChecker the "Caucasian skin" patch is a bit shifted, a small shift but it my be relevant. All patches render well.

This is the LumaRiver profile with ACR-type tone curve. The darks are brighter.

What is my take? I guess I could live with all alternatives. I actually prefer the third one which I use as my default for processing. Interestingly, colors on the lemon and the orange are more accurate in C1 while LR/LumaRiver is more accurate on the ColorChecker in general.

Adjustments:

- WB on second neutral patch on the left
- Lightness (in Lab) adjusted to the reference value on the fourth neutral field from the left, using the exposure slider.
- Some sharpening was done on the C1 layers, as I didn't enable sharpening in C1.

Layers:

• Measured patches on fruits. Measured with a ColorMunki Photo spectrometer.
  • Simulated ColorChecker, using PatchTool from Babelcolor central part shows reference values.
  • C1 white balance '"Flash"
  • C1 white balance on ColorChecker
  • Lightroom, Lumariver profile C1-curve
  • Lightroom, Lumariver profile ACR-curve

Top layers use mixing mode "color", so luminance is kept but color is take from the samples.
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Temp/Tricolore/C1_vs_LR_full.tif

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:41:51 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up