Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 7.3  (Read 26523 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Lightroom 7.3
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 01:10:09 pm »

Any idea of how one goes about creating one's own set of looks, specifically by incorporating existing LUTs into the workflow? 
With a forthcoming tool from Adobe.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 01:10:24 pm »

My only concern about early adoption (ANY software) is whether a new release is truly well-proofed against any major bugs at the time it is released, so I tend to wait a while. For example, just a short time ago today Victoria Bampton released this statement in her email to her membership:

<If you're using Lightroom Classic 7.3, .......................

<I'm also hearing intermittent reports of some backups getting corrupted. It's being investigated as a matter of urgency, but for the moment, I'd recommend doing a file system copy of your Lightroom Catalog (just the *.lrcat file) while Lightroom's closed, rather than relying on Lightroom's Catalog Backup tool. It may turn out to be nothing, but better safe than sorry.>
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

DP

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 01:14:07 pm »

then it opens up a new workflow for incorporating LUTs and LUT remapping into raw conversion.

Torger's LrPD ( http://lumariver.com/lrpd-manual/ ) also allows you to do it somewhat visually  and right into DCP profile itself (regardless of the new Adobe features), albeit it is not exactly as user friendly for LUT work as 3DLC and aimed at camera profiles... so probably too much time consuming going that way...

kirkt

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 01:14:49 pm »

I was sort of hoping they would update/remake the DNG Profile Editor - maybe this forthcoming tool?

Thanks Andrew.

kirk

DP

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 01:15:53 pm »

hopefully with better further love than Adobe DNG Profile Editor... which did not get much love after some initial releases.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 01:19:09 pm »

My only concern about early adoption (ANY software) is whether a new release is truly well-proofed against any major bugs at the time it is released, so I tend to wait a while. For example, just a short time ago today Victoria Bampton released this statement in her email to her membership:

<If you're using Lightroom Classic 7.3, .......................

<I'm also hearing intermittent reports of some backups getting corrupted. It's being investigated as a matter of urgency, but for the moment, I'd recommend doing a file system copy of your Lightroom Catalog (just the *.lrcat file) while Lightroom's closed, rather than relying on Lightroom's Catalog Backup tool. It may turn out to be nothing, but better safe than sorry.>

Mark, this was being reported while 7.2 was current, before 7.3 was released.

John

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2018, 01:24:21 pm »

Andrew, I think I remember Thomas saying that if you hold down the Option key when creating a new preset it allows you to save the preset as a looks profile. I'm downloading now so I can't check till I update but I'll check when it's done :~)

Edit: I just checked and if you open an image in ACR 10.3 you can create a new "Look Profile" when holding down the Option ket when clicking on the create new preset button. There's no way that I know of to do that in LR yet.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:55:43 pm by Schewe »

kirkt

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 01:38:40 pm »

Andrew, I think I remember Thomas saying that if you hold down the Option key when creating a new preset it allows you to save the preset as a looks profile. I'm downloading now so I can't check till I update but I'll check when it's done :~)

Jeff - you are correct!

kirk

EDIT  - I can save a new preset and select a ".cube" LUT to include in it, and the XMP file is created in the appropriate file location; however, I cannot access the preset in the preset window (it does not appear), even if I restart PS (or LR).  Interesting approach though.  And, to follow up on the previous post about the look file and the huge string of characters in the look table - the XMP created by the new preset contains this large string of characters, so the new preset dialog maybe translates the external LUT to the appropriate string in the new file.

EDIT 2 - Everything works fine - I was looking for the new preset in the preset list, but it gets made into a new User PROFILE and is accessible in the Profile Browser.  Yay!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:31:43 pm by kirkt »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 01:38:57 pm »

Don't see it working (yet?) in LR.
Holding down the option key when pressing "New Preset" should bring up a "New Profile" dialog instead. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 01:39:36 pm »

Mark, this was being reported while 7.2 was current, before 7.3 was released.

John

OK, but she raised this today in the context of 7.3, and says they are looking into it urgently. So should one not interpret it mean that if anything systemic were amiss at the 7.2 stage, it hadn't been caught and remedied by the 7.3 release?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 01:43:08 pm »

OK, but she raised this today in the context of 7.3, and says they are looking into it urgently. So should one not interpret it mean that if anything systemic were amiss at the 7.2 stage, it hadn't been caught and remedied by the 7.3 release?

I first recall noticing it within the last two weeks, so very late in 7.2 and too late to expect in 7.3.

John

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2018, 01:43:49 pm »

Hi,

To those who updated to the new Lightroom 7.3, is consuming CPU like crazy while it is doing nothing? I just updated and my CPU usage by Lightroom skyrocket to between 200% to 400% without me doing nothing. Is that normal?

Regards,

David

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2018, 01:54:59 pm »

Ok, now it seems that it has finishing doing whatever it was doing and it is happy being idle. Not sure what it was... since I just opened after the update.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2018, 02:02:12 pm »

Don't see it working (yet?) in LR.
Holding down the option key when pressing "New Preset" should bring up a "New Profile" dialog instead.

Yeah, sorry, ACR 10.3 only...not in LR yet.

But the upside is that ACR and Lightroom now share both presets and profiles so you can create then in ACR and use them in LR.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2018, 02:07:38 pm »

By the way, if someone from Adobe is reading this, fix your spanish translations of the profiles (at least the Spanish translation for Spain, not sure if other spanish speaking countries share the same type of translation). "Adobe Landscape" was translated to "Adobe Apaisado" instead of "Adobe Paisaje" and "Adobe Portrait" to "Adobe Vertical" instead of "Adobe Retrato". Any spanish speaking photographer will think "Adobe Landscape" it is be used with horizontal images and "Adobe Portrait" with only vertical images... whatever the content of them. Whoever is doing the translation to spanish of Lightroom has no idea of photography.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2018, 02:16:13 pm »

EDIT  - I can save a new preset and select a ".cube" LUT to include in it, and the XMP file is created in the appropriate file location; however, I cannot access the preset in the preset window (it does not appear), even if I restart PS (or LR).  Interesting approach though.  And, to follow up on the previous post about the look file and the huge string of characters in the look table - the XMP created by the new preset contains this large string of characters, so the new preset dialog maybe translates the external LUT to the appropriate string in the new file.

That is because the new "preset" shows up as a profile.

I followed these steps:
1. In PS, I added a bunch of adjustment layers
2. File > Export > Colour Lookup Table - saving a cube format (easy way to create your LUT)
3. Open raw file in PS and go to the Presets tab of Adobe Camera Raw
4. Option/Alt click the new preset
5. In the Color Lookup Table section, referred to LUT from step 2
6. Reopened LR
7. Select a raw file in Develop and in Basic panel the new profile is in User Profiles

Attached: some junk profiles (which include a PS Invert layer...)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:19:58 pm by john beardsworth »

kirkt

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2018, 02:40:09 pm »

That is because the new "preset" shows up as a profile.

I followed these steps:
1. In PS, I added a bunch of adjustment layers
2. File > Export > Colour Lookup Table - saving a cube format (easy way to create your LUT)
3. Open raw file in PS and go to the Presets tab of Adobe Camera Raw
4. Option/Alt click the new preset
5. In the Color Lookup Table section, referred to LUT from step 2
6. Reopened LR
7. Select a raw file in Develop and in Basic panel the new profile is in User Profiles

Attached: some junk profiles (which include a PS Invert layer...)

Yes - I edited my original post to note this, after it occurred to me that the new preset dialog used the term "profile" - pretty nifty addition to the workflow.  Hopefully there will be a way to preview the effect of the LUT on the settings prior to saving the preset, but that's icing on the cake at this point.

thanks,

kirk

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2018, 02:45:48 pm »

This is a better example of what one might do. A PS Posterize adjustment layer was used to create the LUT.

John

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney

kirkt

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2018, 03:10:45 pm »

Here are a couple of examples created in 3D LUT Creator, exported as .cube and then packed into a new creative Profile.  Things like color remapping and a 2-strip simulation, etc.  There is a whole library of film sim HALD files that can be converted to .cubes and used in these creative profiles, etc. and tempered with the Amount slider.

kirk
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up