Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S-bend - Hong Kong cityscape at sunset  (Read 1297 times)

shadowblade

S-bend - Hong Kong cityscape at sunset
« on: March 28, 2018, 10:52:03 am »

Freeway in Hong Kong at sunset, near Lai King station.

A7r3 with 100-400 GM @ 224mm, f/13.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: S-bend - Hong Kong cityscape at sunset
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 01:04:34 pm »

Too tight.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 03:15:23 pm »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 03:40:06 pm »

Too brief.

Very funny, Dave. I can go even briefer: constipated ;)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 04:14:54 pm »

Very funny, Dave. I can go even briefer: constipated ;)

No shit.

Dave  ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 04:34:37 pm »

Well, Dave, that made me LOL in the office (where laughing out loud, while alone in front of a computer, doesn't bode well for one's office cred ;) )

But on a serious note: "too tight" meant that the main subject is framed so, without the room to breathe. I can only assume, by whatever little is visible outside of the S-bend, that the surrounding environment was nothing to write home about, thus justifiably excluded and leaving the S-bend as the main subject.

However, there is a fly in that ointment: if the S-bend is to be the main subject visually and graphically, not just traffic-control wise, it has to be simplified and stripped of anything superfluous to that intention.

A long shutter speed would have accomplished that, making the S even more visually striking, with the beautiful red S and yellow S underscoring the bend.

The choice of shutter speed used was unfortunate: short enough to make some license plates readable (good if the intention was forensic photography), but long enough to annoyingly blur some cars at the edges of the frame. Then  again, not sufficiently long either to deliver the above described light streaks effect.

Long enough now (the critique, not shutter speed)? ;)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 07:35:17 pm »

Well, Dave, that made me LOL in the office (where laughing out loud, while alone in front of a computer, doesn't bode well for one's office cred ;) )

But on a serious note: "too tight" meant that the main subject is framed so, without the room to breathe. I can only assume, by whatever little is visible outside of the S-bend, that the surrounding environment was nothing to write home about, thus justifiably excluded and leaving the S-bend as the main subject.

However, there is a fly in that ointment: if the S-bend is to be the main subject visually and graphically, not just traffic-control wise, it has to be simplified and stripped of anything superfluous to that intention.

A long shutter speed would have accomplished that, making the S even more visually striking, with the beautiful red S and yellow S underscoring the bend.

The choice of shutter speed used was unfortunate: short enough to make some license plates readable (good if the intention was forensic photography), but long enough to annoyingly blur some cars at the edges of the frame. Then  again, not sufficiently long either to deliver the above described light streaks effect.

Long enough now (the critique, not shutter speed)? ;)

Now that is what I call a really good review/critique Slobodan, see I knew you had it in you ;)

Glad I made you laugh though, as there is just not enough of that kind of thing happening in the world today  :)

Dave

Cornfield

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 07:37:14 pm »

Love it as it is.  Very well seen, almost abstract.

shadowblade

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 12:18:19 am »

This is the location:

https://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/China/South/Hong_Kong/Lai_King/photo1371420.htm

https://www.locationscout.net/hong-kong/7359-skyline-from-lai-king

As you can see, it's something that looks to benefit far more from a tight crop than a wider view.

I also have a shot taken using a much longer exposure, with the headlight and taillights appearing as streaks rather than individual cars. It's not nearly as interesting as the one with individual cars, in much the same way as a night landscape with star trails can be not nearly as interesting as the same scene with pinpoint stars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up