Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: New H3D full frame!!!  (Read 115628 times)

williamrohr

New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2006, 12:27:24 am »

Please let me explain why myself and I expect at least a few others are disappointed with Hasselblad's decision.  As a purchaser of one of the earliest H1 systems with all of its available lenses I endured the last couple of years of constantly sending my camera body and lenses back to Hasselblad to get "reprogrammed" as they corrected and stabilized their new product line.  There was a time when they had the system in NJ more than I had it. I tolerated the fact that they essentially abandoned my 203FE and 205FCC with their expensive lenses because this is what happens with displacement technologies (and they still take great film pictures).  My commitment (and investment which essentially to some extent funded the development) seemed a wise decision when several companies started a falter and drop out of the market.  It looked even better when they announced the CFV back (which I now own) and support for DNG files ... so I was willing to put up with once again sending my H1 back to become and H2.  Now suddenly there is no support for DNG without going through a software cluge, my H2 and potentially the lenses may not be compatible with the "future" (although it the front elements are going to fall off, maybe that's a good thing).  Combine this with the "full frame" hype and you will understand that my patience ( and I expect others) is wearing thin.  Compare this with Phase One's admission that no new sensors would be available for at least a year so they decided to freshen the product and admittedly make incrimental (but solid improvements) ... and you'll understand why the new back for my H2 is more likely to be a Phase than an Imacon.  

josayeruk

New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2006, 04:24:50 am »

Hallo all,

After reading Michaels report on the H3D and Photokina I thought I had better sign up and make a reply as this new development is very interesting.

I spent a couple of busy days at Photokina and certainly the Hasselblad booth was one of the most striking!  They even had grass for the flooring!

Anyway, onto more important things...

Michael - I was a little dissapointed with your report on the H3D.  I am slightly biased as I own an H2D since July, and after a few teething problems it has really helped me with a new start into photography.  I had suffered a serious RTA so this is my first investment in getting back into my working life.  Of course this cost me a lot of money when I don't have much right now so to see an H3D so soon I was a bit worried I had made a bad decision!

First of all I think your reort is pretty innacurate too Michael!  Where did you get the name H3D Pro from?  I can't see that on any of the marketing material?  Surely as a journalist you have a responsibility to report the facts?

And lets not get confused - like the H2D the H3D is a completely integrated camera...  You say in your report 'I must buy [an H3D] along with either a 22MP or 39MP Hasselblad digital back'

Errr... Its an integrated camera!  So you buy it lock stock and barrell as a body / unit combo.  You complain later on about the term DSLR used for the H3D.  Why?  It is an SLR, no?  And it is digital?  It does not have interchangeable digital backs as you say again - it can use film backs which is good for me as I am sometimes in environmental conditions where I would not want to risk my digital equipment.

The rest of your article then pretty much paints a bad picture of Hasselblad as shutting out the competition.  Are we all forgetting the H2?????

Its a simple choice if you want to use Phase, Leaf etc... then go ahead with an H2 Purchase and off you go!!  I went the H2D route as I only have to lug one battery system around as it is powered by the hand grip (body and back) and the lens correciton part is interesting.

Speaking of lenses I guess I was a bit worried this new 28mm was a closed lens.  I spoke to some of the guys on the H stand and the reason the 28mm is closed is as it was only possible to design this lens in conjunction with the lens correction software now in the H3D / H2D.  Otherwise to build a lens with the same performance without the lens correction would have made it bulky and prohibitivly more expensive.

Is this not obvious as this is the first 28mm lens we have seen on any medium format body from any manufacturer???

Yes, I know there was this argument between a couple of users that DXO or other software could correct this.  Well, as a photographer the more software packages I have the more time I am sitting in front of my mac pushing pixels.  I think the point behind the H3D lens corrections is that is is fully automated and therefore time saving.

Plus is DXO or any other package work with H lenses?  I have tried to correct the distortion of a an H35mm in Photoshop and it can't be done!  The distortion is has is a little irregular so I am keen to see if Hasselblads own corrections does the job!  The people on stand said they have been mapping all the lenses for quite some time now.  Every time the H3D makes a capture the Aperture, focal length and subject distance are written into the image file as they are all necesary to correct the distortion and Chromatic Abberation correctly.

As for the rest of your article Michael you are really missing the point.  Did you not see the digital back area on the stand with cameras from Rollei, Mamiya etc etc... all working with Hasselblad backs?  This doesn't look like shutting out the competition to me!

As I said earlier the H2 is still there and a working platform for other manufactuers.  If I where Hasselblad or a CEO of any other company I too would be looking at ways to strengthen my position.  It is only natural for them to want to succeed it what could be a dying market.  Would everybody prefer to see Hasselblad go out of business?  It still amuses me to read the Imacon name on this forum - that was two years ago guys - they don't even exist as a company anymore.  If it wasn't for this intelligent merger than I think you could have kissed Hasselblad goodbye by now.  They certainly were not financially strong then but by the look of their stand at Photokina  I think the turn around is dramatic.

I asked Hasselblad if they where discontinuing the H2 as a platform and I was just laughed at.  It is easy to forget that we are not all digital users.  One of the guys said that a lot of H1/2 cameras are still being used as film cameras - especially in Asia and the less developed countries so it wouldn't make economic sense.  It was also pointed out to me that there even if you are a Phase or Leaf user on an H platform you still need H lenses!  The guy told me they ship about 1000 lenses a month now and that is big bucks as us users know they are not cheap!

I also saw the new Hasselblad  Image Bank working which looked very nifty.  I can connect this to my H2D and have just under 2000 captures!  I am not a fan of CF cards so this looke like a real alternative.

The 28mm lens, new viewfinder, integrated power, versatility of the H3D - it can work on a view camera (if I had one!   ), and the Image Bank are all good things for photographers so why are we all so upset?  I would be upset but for one thing...

My H2D gets an automatic free upgrade to an H3D, so how is that for service?

Finally on the stand there was a group from LA who carry out a digital lab service.   They had this monster X-Serve / X-Grid which could burn through raw files at an alarming rate as they where handling all the files from the stand.  Not really applicable to me but for the volume shooters it looked amazing!  www.digitalfusion.net.

All the best,

Jo

michael

New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2006, 05:52:59 am »

I'm afraid that just about evey point in your rambling post has been addressed in other emails on this forum, so I can't take to time to restate what has already be written. A few points though...

"H3D Pro" was a typo. Sorry. I was also writing about the Fuji S5 Pro at the time.

"like the H2D the H3D is a completely integrated camera" I have no idea what this means. A Mamiya ZD is an intergrated camera. An H1, H2 or H3 is a modular camera, since the prism, and especially the back is removable. Let's not play with sematics, which is what I'm complaining Hasselblad is doing with terms like "48MM Full Frame", which is simply a new label on old wine.

As for the continuing existance of the H2, we'll see. I was told by a Hasselblad booth rep that the H2 would be discontinued shortly. Several others including some Hasselblad dealers were each told this as well. (In case anyone doubts this, I have a record of it on video). Poulsen, the CEO, when asked about this stated that they would continue producing H2s as long as there was demand, contradicting what the booth personel were saying. Of course as CEO he has the final say, but it did seem like backpeddling on a position which all the people in the Hasselbald booth were putting forward for two days, prior to the press conference. They obviously didn't each make it up, now did they? Time will tell.

"the reason the 28mm is closed is as it was only possible to design this lens in conjunction with the lens correction software now in the H3D / H2D." Yup, that's the case and also the point. They have decided to not license other back makers. This is about business practices, not technology. Please reread my essay if that isn't clear. Most people get it.

Just in case you think that I am a lone voice crying in the wilderness, be aware that within the industry itself there is a huge hubbub about this. I am in touch with a number of dealers as well as other journalists, and almost no one is happy, or thinks that this will end well for Hasselblad.

You may think that this is a good move on the part of Hasselbald, but I can ssure you that most knowledgeable observers and industry participants see this as a case of Hasselbald shooting themselves in the foot – big time.

Michael
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 05:54:38 am by michael »

Graham Mitchell

New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2006, 06:01:31 am »

It does not have interchangeable digital backs as you say again - it can use film backs which is good for me as I am sometimes in environmental conditions where I would not want to risk my digital equipment.

Are you sure that the H3D can use film backs? Can you provide a source for this? I thought this was the first camera for the 'new' 48mm format, which means that it's not good for film any more.

The rest of your article then pretty much paints a bad picture of Hasselblad as shutting out the competition.  Are we all forgetting the H2?????

Hasselblad did announce that the H2 was to be dropped, so yes we are forgetting the H2

Its a simple choice if you want to use Phase, Leaf etc... then go ahead with an H2 Purchase and off you go!! 

...and buy an obsolete model which will probably never have additional lenses, WLF, etc

Speaking of lenses I guess I was a bit worried this new 28mm was a closed lens.  I spoke to some of the guys on the H stand and the reason the 28mm is closed is as it was only possible to design this lens in conjunction with the lens correction software now in the H3D / H2D.

I they chose to use lens correction to keep the price down, fair enough. However that could just as easily be done WITHOUT making it a closed system. I bet most of the existing H1/2 owners would like the choice rather than being shut out. Automation for those who spent the extra money, manual correction for those who didn't.

It still amuses me to read the Imacon name on this forum - that was two years ago guys - they don't even exist as a company anymore.

Wrong, Imacon AS (Denmark) still exists.

If it wasn't for this intelligent merger than I think you could have kissed Hasselblad goodbye by now.

I used and loved the V system, but wouldn't miss the H system. I don't want to see Hasselblad go out of business. Choice and competition are good. On the other hand, if just one medium format camera were to survive, there are other cameras I would pick first.

The 28mm lens, new viewfinder, integrated power, versatility of the H3D - it can work on a view camera (if I had one!   ),

How can the 28mm work on a view camera? It requires correction and in order to perform the correction it needs the focal distance which is not possible witha view camera. On top of that the image circle isn't large enough for movements sothere is no point. Much better to stick to Schneider ot Rodenstock lenses on a view camera.

Nice indeed! Not all bad then
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 06:05:07 am by foto-z »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2006, 06:06:36 am »

The rest of your article then pretty much paints a bad picture of Hasselblad as shutting out the competition.  Are we all forgetting the H2?????
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78865\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jo,

As a regular Hassy customer without agenda, I can tell you that I am really unhappy about their move.

- Why would I welcome the news that future Hassy lenses will not be usable on my 3 years old 6000 US$ body?
- Why would I welcome the news that my H1 has no future as a platform for digital backs?

With all due respect, I have a really hard time understanding your positions.

Cheers,
Bernard

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2006, 06:51:06 am »

is this for real?
I want my upgrade now!
Who told you?

marc

jpop

New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2006, 07:14:21 am »

In a small market space in need of consolidation the Hasselblad moves were anticipated from day one in this corner.  They have every right to leverage their platform in a tight market with too many players.  Hasselblad's decisions and strategies aren't an end all and in fact have spurred the market into reaction with new entries into the medium format camera platforms.  If the Hasselblad/Imacon merger had never come to be would there be any entry by Franke & Heidecke into a new medium format platform without the speculation of some Hasselblad doors being closed?  Would Mamiya be looking into bolstering their platform with potential new lenses (leaf shutter?) and perhaps a new incarnation of the 645AFD?  

As I see things the Hasselblad moves could result in a couple of tracks for the medium format digital market place.  First, integrated systems not unlike those from Canon or Nikon with the back manufacturers seeking refuge with a medium format camera maker.  With three chairs for the back manufacturers to jump in someone's left standing in a game of musical chairs as the other players scramble for the seats provided by Mamiya, Hasselblad and F&H.  With Hasselblad's seat already glued, the competition for the remaining seats is heightened.  The second track is by continued innovation and enhancements by the other back manufacturers making their products more important than what it's attached to, leaving Hasselblad with a market position that can be easily remedied by reopening their platform.

While Hasselblad's maneuvering will certainly draw the ire of a few, in a market that was seeing medium format platforms drop like flies with the demise of Contax, Bronica and Fuji's entries, we are suddenly seeing some innovative products and talks of more to come in the future.  With the 35mm DSLR formats pushing the limits of their platform this is certainly welcome and we will have more innovative medium format options to choose from a year from now with perhaps one less back line to attach to them.  It's just temporary battle lines drawn in the sand with gusting winds and in the end some consolidation and more robust products will prove to be positive.
John Popp
Dodd Camera Professional Divis

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2006, 10:43:08 am »

I'm afraid that just about evey point in your rambling post has been addressed in other emails on this forum, so I can't take to time to restate what has already be written. A few points though...

"H3D Pro" was a typo. Sorry. I was also writing about the Fuji S5 Pro at the time.

"like the H2D the H3D is a completely integrated camera" I have no idea what this means. A Mamiya ZD is an intergrated camera. An H1, H2 or H3 is a modular camera, since the prism, and especially the back is removable. Let's not play with sematics, which is what I'm complaining Hasselblad is doing with terms like "48MM Full Frame", which is simply a new label on old wine.

As for the continuing existance of the H2, we'll see. I was told by a Hasselblad booth rep that the H2 would be discontinued shortly. Several others including some Hasselblad dealers were each told this as well. (In case anyone doubts this, I have a record of it on video). Poulsen, the CEO, when asked about this stated that they would continue producing H2s as long as there was demand, contradicting what the booth personel were saying. Of course as CEO he has the final say, but it did seem like backpeddling on a position which all the people in the Hasselbald booth were putting forward for two days, prior to the press conference. They obviously didn't each make it up, now did they? Time will tell.

"the reason the 28mm is closed is as it was only possible to design this lens in conjunction with the lens correction software now in the H3D / H2D." Yup, that's the case and also the point. They have decided to not license other back makers. This is about business practices, not technology. Please reread my essay if that isn't clear. Most people get it.

Just in case you think that I am a lone voice crying in the wilderness, be aware that within the industry itself there is a huge hubbub about this. I am in touch with a number of dealers as well as other journalists, and almost no one is happy, or thinks that this will end well for Hasselblad.

You may think that this is a good move on the part of Hasselbald, but I can ssure you that most knowledgeable observers and industry participants see this as a case of Hasselbald shooting themselves in the foot – big time.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78879\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Michael:

Debating the term "integrated" is certainly playing with semantics. You might wish to consider a product with a removable prism "not integrated" (as if that was a negative). By far the most compelling aspect of "integration" is optimal communication between camera, lens and sensor. That's a big part of what makes Canon so effective. From Hasselblad's perspective, image quality is enhanced by this communication. Hasselblad also feels that medium format solutions must show a greater value/image quality equation to working photographers for them to justify spending their money on medium format instead of with 35mm. For their purposes, this is a path to that objective.

Hasselblad could have saved themselves a lot of grief if they would have called the H3D "The first digital system with a 48mm, full-frame viewinder. That's what it is, and that is a benefit. They blew that.

The H2 may at some point be discontinued. But for now, it is not. 12 months ago, Christian Poulsen himself hinted that the V-series days were numbered, but that was dependent on unit sales. The same holds true for the H2. Could Hasselblad discontinue H2 production only to stifle digital back competition? Possibly, but they have made no official announcement stating so. Dealers and reps often have less than 100% information regarding new announcements, and fill in what they don't know with projections and opinion. It would be in Hasselblad's and their customers best interest to issue a statement regarding H2 production so that users who prefer an H2 system could choose whether or not to utilize that platform for film capture or with Leaf, Phase or Sinar digital backs.

As far as I know, the 28mm will not work with an H2D. I believe there are some physical limitations to using the 28mm with the H2 body - I could be wrong. But to your point, regarding the 28mm, are you saying that Hasselblad "decided not to license" other back makers for the distortion correction technology? And you're penalizing Hasselblad for that? You're penalizing them for that business practise? Can you show me how it makes business sense to develop technology to enhance the products of it's direct competitors?

I believe most of the hubbub from users and dealers alike comes from these negative buzzwords - "closed system" "fullframe (not)". Canon's a closed system, much more closed than Hasselblad. Capture One software is a closed system. Yes, it works for 35mm, no it doesn't work for it's direct competitors (Leaf, Sinar, Hasselblad). In contrast, Raw Developer by Iridient Systems, provides raw conversion software for all the medium format players. Why? Because they're not it's competitors.

Look, I love photography. I love working with photographers. I'm sure Hasselblad does too. But it doesn't do any of my customers any good if I'm not in business. These days, medium format is a very tough market. Bronica, Fuji, Contax - all gone. Sinar (Leica?), Rollei, Leaf, Phase One, Mamiya, Hasselblad - hanging on. For how long? This is a business move and a technology move. If it keeps Hasselblad in business, I have no problem with that. You may not like Hasselblad's choices, but at least by them making the choices they need to make to stay in business, it also gives you choices - and when it comes to gear, that is critical.

Steve Hendrix
PPR Digital
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

BJL

New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2006, 10:58:11 am »

Are you sure that the H3D can use film backs? Can you provide a source for this?[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
See Hasselblad's page on the H3D, [a href=\"http://hasselblad.com/products/h-system/h3d.aspx]http://hasselblad.com/products/h-system/h3d.aspx[/url]
under the section on "Four modes ..."

Also note the two viewfinder options:
HVD90X covering the 36x48mm frame format for digital use,
HV90X covering the 42.5x56mm frame formatr for 645 format film use.

Ed Jack

New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2006, 11:07:02 am »

The second track is by continued innovation and enhancements by the other back manufacturers making their products more important than what it's attached to, leaving Hasselblad with a market position that can be easily remedied by reopening their platform.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78892\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well you could aruge that Hasselblad is very scarred by Leaf/Phase and Jenoptic(Sinar). Why, as their backs all have one up on the Hasselblad backs. hasselblad will not even give a unit of any kind to Michael, as I suspect they know its shortcomings will be highlighted against the other backs. Look what Phase has accomplished with the same sensors as hasselblad. Can the H3D do 5 hour exposures.... what about a clean iso 800 (P45+)?

Lets take Leaf... can the 39MP unit shoot at the same speed as the A75S to a CF card (1.1 sec/frame) ? I think Not.

What extra features to Hasselblad backs have ? Do they have built in fast RAM like the eMotion backs, which some say also have the best softwate/colour out there ?

NO. I tell you what "features" they have - since they haven't essentially changed from the DCC citcuits in the DAC in 4 years, the feature of being able to use them with the newer much needed Hassleblad (H3D) and by implication much desired 28mm lens.

Now we can put your:
"making their products more important than what it's attached to"
into perpective.

Just a thought

Ed
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 11:10:09 am by Ed Jack »

michael

New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2006, 12:04:52 pm »

"Can you show me how it makes business sense to develop technology to enhance the products of it's direct competitors?"

Yes, I can actually.

By allowing the thousands (yes thousands) of photographers who have H1 and H2 bodies and who are currently using non-Hasselblad backs to not be not frozen out of an upgrade path for new Hasselblad bodies and lenses. To alienate and discard these customers seems like folly to me.

Why would I want to get rid of a perfectly good $30,000 back so as to be able to have access to a new Hasselblad lens or viewfinder, when I know that the key to that lens is just software and an API?

If I'm going to have to spend that much money all over again, my options may well not include Hasselblad – and that's why it makes good buisness sense for them not to shaft their current customer base. The marketplace for these products is too small for any company to be able to afford to alienate such a large segment of it. And that's what Hasselblad appears to be doing with its new policy.

Michael

josayeruk

New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2006, 12:09:47 pm »

Are you sure that the H3D can use film backs? Can you provide a source for this? I thought this was the first camera for the 'new' 48mm format, which means that it's not good for film any more.

Yes.  Check the web - it has lots of information you know.    

Hasselblad did announce that the H2 was to be dropped, so yes we are forgetting the H2

This is not the case.  CEO Poulsen say it will stay for as long as there is demand.

...and buy an obsolete model which will probably never have additional lenses, WLF, etc

The Waste level finder is compatible with both the H1 and H2.  It is mechanical with no electronics.

I they chose to use lens correction to keep the price down, fair enough.

I beleive that is the case.

Wrong, Imacon AS (Denmark) still exists.

Errr... no it doesn't.

How can the 28mm work on a view camera? It requires correction and in order to perform the correction it needs the focal distance which is not possible witha view camera. On top of that the image circle isn't large enough for movements sothere is no point. Much better to stick to Schneider ot Rodenstock lenses on a view camera.

You misunderstand - the Digital unit on the H3D can be removed and put on a view camera.  I was not referring to the lens.

Jo.

josayeruk

New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2006, 12:15:11 pm »

Pot calling the kettle black, eh?

Integrated as it is sold as one unit.  Integrated as they have one on/off button.  Integrated as it uses one battery.  Integrated as it is built by the same manufacturer.  Integrated due to the communication between lens and body.  Shall I go on...?

I think Michael they are referring to the H2D - the previous integrated camera.

I shall remain one of the other people then.  If they have spent a bunch of R&D money mapping lenses and figuring out how to correct for distortion and CA - why oh why would you hand that on a plate to Phase One and leaf?

Why is my dealer happy then?

Jo S.

andrewparker

New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2006, 12:41:18 pm »

"They have decided to not license other back makers. This is about business practices, not technology. Please reread my essay if that isn't clear. Most people get it."

Michael,

I'm not sure that if Jo disagrees with your point of view, it follows that she hasn't understood it.......

Isn't any digital back user who needs a decent flash sync speed, and needs fastish lenses on a reflex camera with nice viewfinders, in fact already "stuck with" the Hasselblad H, at a pinch the  V, or the old (soon to be discontinued) Rollei 6008 AF? Or the promised mixed identity Sinar/Leaf/Rollei, which as Izaack points out is untested, untested....... and doesn't offer anything wider than a 40, for those that need it?

The problem with these digital back systems is that they are hybrid contraptions, prone to incompatibilities.  Hasselblad is trying to confront this fundamental design problem.

My hope and expectation is that Hasselblad, rather than trying to greedily force market share, (as if they could!) are going to achieve that end by ironing out all these problems and designing a versatile camera system that works reliably as advertised for the professional user.

As we've seen from countless posts on the subject there are colour cast problems with different lens/sensor combinations. The strategy of getting the lens to talk to the back and to sort these things out in camera firmware is a big step forward (if it works.)  Who really wants to spend their working lives battling with this in front of a computer?  Denis M has pointed out that the H3D has a slow capture rate of 35 pictures per minute- but isn't it actually doing something for you for you in that time, something that you will not have to do later yourself- the lens correction processing? A compromise, not perfect for all users, but on the way there.

Is it any coincidence that another great camera company is also pursuing the "lens talks to camera firmware" strategy with the Leica M8?

When you have to look these things in the teeth to find if they are going to work for you, it gets to be a complicated judgement. If I could go back in time, and with what I know now, I would have chosen Hasselblad and Leica as film camera systems (I still use Leicas and a Mamiya RZ).

My prediction is that Hasselblad's camera/ back integration is not only the best way to go but will also in time be copied by others. Are there not rumours of a Phase/Mamiya link up? If a change is underway that would be very good news for us customers.

Andrew Parker

Caracalla

• http://
New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2006, 12:52:15 pm »

ATT: josayeruk

Why is my dealer happy then?

Perhaps you share the same opinion, that’s all. However, you could be wrong or you could be right, either way Michael makes loads of sense whether few like it or not.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 03:57:54 pm by Caracalla »

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2006, 01:47:32 pm »

what i don't understand is why would anyone want to buy the H3D? the only reason would be to have a one in all solution that provides fast shooting, and the best quality...now that wold be a reason...but we know that it simply does not...it is actually the slowest shooting MF digital  and the color problem, if taken care of still puts in at least as good as the others, but not better...i have never heard anyone argue that the hasselblad backs are better then all the others...people say: they are as good now,..they worked the problems out now...but never, yes they are better....
i tested the H2D because i liked the all in one concept and i could have gotten a great price on it...the files simply were not as good as either leaf, phase or sinar! this might be my personal opinion, but many share this opinon and nobody says that they are better....so where is the advantage?
the H3D comes in 2 flavors, both with stats competing with last years leaf and phase models! sinar already had the faster shooting, built in buffer and great disply....the digital part of the H3D has no improvement at all! phase got a better display, faster shooting and higher asa, leaf got even faster shooting and higher asa, both got live preview...both also have a much wider product line to choose from...and both are (arguably) as good if not better then the H3D...so what is the argument to go with the H3D?
btw: mamiya now has a 28mm as well...no software necessary....

SeanBK

New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2006, 01:53:15 pm »

http://hasselblad.com/media/57304/h3d%20datasheet.pdf
Page 5 will show you the diagram, that indeed H3D can be hookeup to Film back or even a poloroid back. (like suggested earlier that Asian market still shoots film).
   I think Hasselblad is unneccessarily put down in this forum.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 01:55:39 pm by SeanBK »

yaya

New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2006, 02:00:18 pm »

I for one wish that the H2 stays in production and that Hasselblad come up with a clear statement through their dealers about it.
You can call it selfishness as I would like our current users to still be able to purchase this system, but also for Hasselblad it gives an opportunity to, at some point, convert these users to the CFH backs or whatever comes next.

There are 3 things that are still very annoying with the spec of the H3D:

"48mm full frame" - The Kodak sensor, being 49mm, is now capturing more than what the new (masked) focusing screen is showing, so where are the extra pixels going?

The HVD90X prism is essentially the same as the HV90X with the meter tuned to ignore the Black masking on the focusing screen.

The new viewfinder should have had a bit more thought and money put into it, to allow at least for some of the available info (frame count, focusing, battey status...) to be viewed through...

There's ONE good feature that is noticable so far, and that is the extra sync socket that allows the back to be used on a view camera (what is then going to hapen with the APO info is another question though...)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 03:07:57 pm by yaya »

Ed Jack

New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2006, 03:02:33 pm »

If I'm going to have to spend that much money all over again, my options may well not include Hasselblad – and that's why it makes good buisness sense for them not to shaft their current customer base. The marketplace for these products is too small for any company to be able to afford to alienate such a large segment of it. And that's what Hasselblad appears to be doing with its new policy.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78925\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think Michael has just summed up this entire thread and as a H1 user I'm "on his side", but then there only is "his side" when this ends up damaging Hasselblad (as it will), which will be a Pyric Victory. The software lens correstion is a "fudge" which insults all our intelligence. Any reason why the new Hy6 can't be in a H-mount version and therefore poach all the disillusioned H1/H2 owners ? THAT Would be a coup de force?!

Anyway, I'm fed up with this discussion now.. especially as it seems to just consists of people taking a swipe at one another... with reasonable people wasting time with the unreasonable people. Obviously I'l like to put myself in the reasonalbe group with MR   !

Ed
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 03:04:09 pm by Ed Jack »

Graham Mitchell

New H3D full frame!!!
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2006, 03:41:25 pm »

Imacon still exists
Errr... no it doesn't.

Just FYI: the Commercial registry in Denmark (Erhvervs- og Selskabsstyrelsen) lists Imacon Inc USA as active:
http://www.cvr.dk/Site/Forms/PublicService...?cvrnr=21994987
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up