Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: PhaseOne backs with Firewire & Thunderbolt 3  (Read 6959 times)

Christoph B.

Re: PhaseOne backs with Firewire & Thunderbolt 3
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 04:26:34 pm »

Well the colour balance on location is more or less a non-issue as your eyes compensate quite well, which is why I don't calibrate my screens differently for location shoots.

However when the screen is properly calibrated to a certain setting (e.g. 5000K , 2.2, 80cd) it's still very helpful for your clients and myself, especially for magazine photography or (if you're lucky) advertising. It's simply better than nothing ;-)

It's easier to see whether you've "got the shot" that they need/want or if there's something missing in the image or even if there's something disturbing that you yourself wouldn't be able to see when taking the photo.

I recently took some beauty shots for a magazine and they were extremely happy to be able to see all the detail on the computer (like eyelashes and makeup flakes etc) that I wasn't able to see while taking the photo. Combine that with the ability to overlay layouts while shooting tethered (which has been very helpful during an advert shoot last year) and you've got something your clients really appreciate.

And as I said I definitely need aRGB for editing photos while I'm on the road or staying somewhere.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 10:07:11 pm »

I just ordered a Toshoba 13” from a Best Buy for $230 to be able to run some windows-only software for calibrating video monitors for grading. It has a 4-pin FireWire port and 8G of RAM, so I’m going to test it with my P65+ and see if/how it performs. I believe the 4-pin FW ports do not carry power, but since the P65 will run on its own battery, I don’t think that should be a problem.

I have no idea what the screen is like, but like you, I’m really only interested in seeing focus, composition, and art direction on location.

Well so far the only acceptable laptop that still offers an ExpressCard is the Lenovo P51 - but that's very heavy and very expensive with a 100% Adobe RGB screen. I think I'd rather go with Thunderbolt as it offers a lot more options.
Besides I need a fast laptop to work on the road and to let clients judge and review images during tethering.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:10:25 pm by D Fuller »
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Christoph B.

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 03:10:01 am »

You meant to say "unlike " you ;-)

Because I need a good screen to work on and for my clients to judge the images during the shoot.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up