Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Etiquette and Political Discussions  (Read 9624 times)

vjbelle

Re: Etiquette and Political Discussions
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2018, 10:09:38 am »

This is a very sad statement. It is perfectly clear that you are not talking about half of the United States (aka the basket of deplorables). It is perfectly clear that you are not making a group insult, e.g., "all conservatives are pathetic human beings." You are clearly addressing a pretty small, easily identifiable group of individuals, members of this forum. I am pretty sure you had me in mind, among others.

Now, I've been called names on this forum before. Dick, jerk, or worse. I do not mind. I believe in "stick & stones..." I do not mind if you call me idiot or stupid. I do not mind if you call all Serbs "war criminals" (I've been getting PMs on this forum with questions like "How many women and children you murdered, you jerk?")

But a "pathetic human being"!? For having an opinion you don't like!? For daring to express it against the chorus of one-sided, politically correct ones, currently in vogue? For pointing out that things are not that simple as you (collective you) wants us to believe!? For annoying you!?

"Pathetic human being"!? I never raped or killed anyone, not even touched "inappropriately." My "sexual harassment" consisted of "you have a beautiful smile" thought meant for a passing colleague at work, but never pronounced.  Never broke the law and never accused of or charged with anything (ok, I admit, I had two speeding tickets in my life).

So I am, and few others who I can guarantee you are very similar in deeds and in their lives to me, a "pathetic human being"!?

I strongly resent that. And as it is clearly a personal attack on a few, easily identifiable, forum members and thus against the forum rules, I am reporting you to the moderator.

Enough is enough.

Slobodan..... report to the current moderator?  He publicly condones all of this.  Lets see how low all of this can go. 

Victor

Manoli

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2018, 10:26:41 am »

..... report to the current moderator?  He publicly condones all of this.

I have no doubt Jeremy can and will answer for himself, but ITM, honestly - just grow up.

Krug

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2018, 10:56:29 am »

Although tempted I have resisted adding to this discussion before - if only because to do so was to encourage the very things I regret in the discussion.

If I want to read about photographic things I come / go to photographic sites that I respect for their photographic / art information and expertise - like this one.

If I want to read about financial / economic matters I go to The Economist / FT or similar.

If I want to read about political / social policy ideas I go a site which has expert and constructively conflicting views on those subjects to obtain a broad spectrum of knowledge of such things.

I find that it is rarely worthwhile to spend time confusing those sources.

I do not believe that economic, political or religious opinions shed much light on art - for example one of my favourite late 19th and early 20th century artists is Eric Gill and from choice I always use his fonts yet I believe him to have been an utterly odious person.
Similarly I have never felt that the opinions about 'art' have been relevant to an assessment of the worth of my colleagues on work matters.

For me the unfortunate tone of some of the discussion in this thread demonstrates very clearly that it diminishes an art / photographic site to stray into irrelevant areas - diminishes it both in terms of respect for the artistic work and views of some members with whom one would be at odds for their "other" views and in terms of the civility with which each should regard their fellow contributors.

In very simple terms would not LuLa be a better and more comfortable place for all of us if we all concentrated on its prime purpose ??
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

vjbelle

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2018, 11:01:38 am »

I have no doubt Jeremy can and will answer for himself, but ITM, honestly - just grow up.

I am grown up, Manoli...... why don't you, then, let our current moderator speak for himself and stop grandstanding for him. 

Victor

Manoli

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2018, 11:17:44 am »

I don't have anything to do with Insta ...

Rob,
All you've got to do is click on those links, I'm sure you'll enjoy a lot of the photography. Best of all - it's waffle free! [/light-hearted-quip]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:39:57 am by Manoli »

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2018, 03:25:24 pm »

Feel free to name those, apart from Rob, Russ and me (sorry if I forgot someone) who are conservative posters and post their photographs regularly.

Just saw this thread. How could you forget me when I was the first one here to predict and then vote for President T?

I decided long ago that the reason I come to LuLa is for Photography and so I give a wide berth to political discussions and threads.

Rob C

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2018, 03:31:18 pm »

Rob,
All you've got to do is click on those links, I'm sure you'll enjoy a lot of the photography. Best of all - it's waffle free! [/light-hearted-quip]

Yes, I'm familiar with these people; however, there's a massive problem associated with so much of contemporary fashion photography, which is that the influence of Photoshop has made snappers almost all end up looking like one person.

It's one of the reasons that I like Hans Feurer, Peter Lindbergh and Albert Watson, along with Sarah Moon; they still appear able to hang on to identify, though I gather at least two of them have pretty much left fashion behind. I understand it comes down to being contemporary etc. but people used to be able to be contemporary yet individualistic, too.

Truth to tell, though I would love to be back shooting fashion, I couldn't get into the current way. I'd still be the same old me but with different models. Models; yes, never overlook the huge difference they make to any photographer's work. Would Bailey have become Bailey without Shrimpton? I often think about that.

However, I think I have zero interest in shooting pin-ups anymore, not that I do, of course. And even there, the input of the right model made me look good, whereas being stuck with somebody I hadn't chosen and/or felt nothing for, was a nightmare.

Could be an age thing, though, but I do like seeing pretty women even if I'm not photographing them. Probably more than if I were working with them. I guess everything has its time.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2018, 05:58:27 pm »

"pathetic human being" is a term of abuse that I will not tolerate. It is irrelevant and unnecessary; it does not contribute to the discussion. It matters not whether any individual, on this forum or elsewhere, is identifiable.

"basket of deplorables" at least has the pseudo-merit of being a quotation from a former candidate for President. However, it too is an awful phrase and does not merit repeating.

Grow up, the lot of you. I do not wish to moderate this group as though it were a children's playground.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2018, 06:46:09 pm »

"pathetic human being" is a term of abuse that I will not tolerate. It is irrelevant and unnecessary; it does not contribute to the discussion. It matters not whether any individual, on this forum or elsewhere, is identifiable.

"basket of deplorables" at least has the pseudo-merit of being a quotation from a former candidate for President. However, it too is an awful phrase and does not merit repeating.

Grow up, the lot of you. I do not wish to moderate this group as though it were a children's playground.

Jeremy

Jeremy, I think it's getting to you!

Now, coming from you, legal eagle etc., I feel far more confident in my own diagnosis of some "six-year-olds" but hey, who'd bring that up!

Look at it this way: LuLa is still the place we like to visit, through thick and thin, and where we get the most buzz posting our chat and our photographs, so at the end of the day, the old place is all very worth it, despite the occasional grief. C'est la vie.

;-)

Rob
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up