Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Women's Day Streets  (Read 4448 times)

Rob C

Women's Day Streets
« on: March 09, 2018, 06:26:21 am »

In the Ultima Hora newpaper today.

I would have loved to have copied the cartoon, but you know, copyright etc. so just to paraphrase the copy:

"Billions of unwashed dishes, millions of unmade bads, and this is called a success?"

I won't even attempt to translate the placards on the streets with diagrams of what goes in and what may be allowed to come out of you may know where!

Thank God it's only for a day; worse than Christmas or even Catalan Independence.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:01:38 pm by Rob C »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Women's Day Streets
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 10:20:35 am »

Rob, I need some clarification.  Are you saying that a woman's place is only in the home doing the cooking and cleaning?  That is what comes across to me.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 10:59:38 am »

I got on my most feminist granddaughter about "International Women's Day." She fired back that there's also an "International Men's Day." So I checked it out and found this:

International Men's Day is an annual international event celebrated on 19 November. ... It is an occasion to highlight discrimination against men and boys and to celebrate their achievements and contributions, in particular for their contributions to community, family, marriage, and child care.

Well we certainly need that, and the UN is happy to supply it, just as they're happy to supply "World Toilet Day" on November 19th. (Note that both "days" coincide, which makes me wonder if that's accidental.)

I think we should petition the UN to declare an "International Bullshit Day" to celebrate all the BS being slung around by politicians on other "International" days.

Several years ago in Colorado Springs I photographed a "Parade for People Who've Never Been in a Parade." That sort of echoes the rest of this crap.

Oh, my heart. . . stop bleeding.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:04:15 am by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:18:37 am »

Several years ago in Colorado Springs I photographed a "Parade for People Who've Never Been in a Parade." That sort of echoes the rest of this crap.

Oh, my heart. . . stop bleeding.

If you're that unhappy about never being in a parade, bring a pallet beer to Philly on Jan. 1st.  Any Mummer's club will be more then happy with the donation and let you march with them. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

RSL

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 11:39:51 am »

Somebody should have told these folks, Joe.

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 01:03:07 pm »

Well, I wash the dishes and make the beds, but I have been known to slack off on my duties to go and whoop a bit about how great my wife is.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 02:03:32 pm »

Rob, I need some clarification.  Are you saying that a woman's place is only in the home doing the cooking and cleaning?  That is what comes across to me.

Alan, I need some clarification: are you saying that my translated quotation is my own statement?

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 02:27:05 pm »

Alan, I need some clarification: are you saying that my translated quotation is my own statement?
My BAD.  Missed that it was a quote from the paper.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 03:02:06 pm »

Somebody should have told these folks, Joe.

Get a half a case in each of those and they'll fit right in with the Mummers. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 07:26:15 am »

All that collective effort, and after the worldwide fiestas, what, exactly?

Life will continue as ever it has, blindly, fairly, unfairly, in great comfort as in unthinkable horror.

That's what life is, and no fighting bull will ever tell you differently. Even fat, spoiled little dogs die of pleasure and greed.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:53:16 am by Rob C »

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 10:29:54 am »

The thing is, Rob, change is possible, and it does happen. Not, I suspect, for the reasons we think, but the part where "lots of people" in some sense are seen to believe things ought to be different does seem to play a role.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 11:40:55 am »

The thing is, Rob, change is possible, and it does happen. Not, I suspect, for the reasons we think, but the part where "lots of people" in some sense are seen to believe things ought to be different does seem to play a role.
Look at the role the kids of Florida did in forcing the NRA supported legislature and governor to enact some reasonable gun control laws this past week.

It's going to be interesting to watch the US elections this November.  There are lots of women running for office throughout all the states in record numbers.  Of course it always comes down to who will vote and if the turnout is high there could be some surprises for the Republican Party.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 12:00:35 pm »

1.   Look at the role the kids of Florida did in forcing the NRA supported legislature and governor to enact some reasonable gun control laws this past week.

It's going to be interesting to watch the US elections this November.  There are lots of women running for office throughout all the states in record numbers.  Of course it always comes down to who will vote and if the turnout is high there could be some surprises for the Republican Party.

1.   Absolutely, but you have to bring in reality: reality is that no matter what age or mental parameters are decreed for the buying of arms, these damned things already exist in millions of homes. You don't have to be a genius to know how to raid your parents' gun locker, especially if you figure you probably won't be coming back home. Any old bat or axe will open that treasure trove wide.

IMO, guns, as in hunting, should only be available to country folks who can prove that they have legal access to a safe(ish), recognized farm or hunting area.

You don't need a machine gun of any sort to get a deer, and a relatively short-range shotgun will catch you that bird you want to eat. If you don't want to eat it, why in hell would you take its life?

Let's not even think about pistols beyond their use as tools for home protection.

Glossing about with the varnish doesn't do it.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 12:02:56 pm »

You are right.

I want change too, so they kindly invented the lottery a long, long time ago. But that change is still not here.

RSL

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 12:39:28 pm »

Limiting gun ownership to people 21 and over is going to go down with a thud in the courts. Suppose I'm 20 years old, a trained navy seal. I go home on leave to Florida and I'm not allowed to own a rifle? Ain't gonna happen.

The problem is that the media have brought forth kids and parents who have a legitimate beef saying "We need to do something!" Well, they're right, and the Florida legislature has "done something." That something, or at least part of it, will go down in flames, but the politicians can say they've done something. What's actually going to work is the movement to arm teachers who are willing to go through the necessary training. Once schools no longer are "gun free zones," things will settle down a great deal.

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 01:48:52 pm »

Damn it, Alan, why did you have to say "NRA"? It just opens the door for the same old stupid pointless gun debate, and now another thread is about to go down in flames.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 01:59:45 pm »

Limiting gun ownership to people 21 and over is going to go down with a thud in the courts. Suppose I'm 20 years old, a trained navy seal. I go home on leave to Florida and I'm not allowed to own a rifle? Ain't gonna happen.

The problem is that the media have brought forth kids and parents who have a legitimate beef saying "We need to do something!" Well, they're right, and the Florida legislature has "done something." That something, or at least part of it, will go down in flames, but the politicians can say they've done something. What's actually going to work is the movement to arm teachers who are willing to go through the necessary training. Once schools no longer are "gun free zones," things will settle down a great deal.

My daughter is a teacher, dealing every day with kids at pre-university age, just before they quit the system, often for ever.

How do you imagine she, or any other person is going to handle having the added stress of guns to contend with? The kids themselves make her require eyes in the back of her head.

Then you have to face the concept of responsibility and collateral damage in the case of an actual event ever taking place. Have most people the slightest idea of just how aggressive and confrontational parents often are, even if only as an oblique reaction to their own domestic failure to maintain discipline and student attention to homework, with the guilt that brings which has to be diverted at any cost? Imagine the parental reaction towards a teacher if an innocent child gets shot by that teacher, and let's face it, policemen, all trained, often produce plenty of collaterals!

So, teachers may be forced into a position where they have to become gun-toting cowboys or what: lose their job or get paid less than said gunslingers, and then at what age do those happy guys and Annie Oakleys get fired because their sight is failing...?

As for zones no long being gun-free, I think that will, if anything, provide the gun crazies with an ever bigger thrill: they can imagine they are in a war!

Nope, at most, and on the assumption that civilians with guns will be here to stay, the only route out of this mess will make Mr T a happy man: prison-grade walls around all schools; gates with armed police and search devices. All so that a law made in the day of the blunderbuss may be held equally applicable to the weaponry of today!

A sane person could not make that up.

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 02:03:36 pm »

Damn it, Alan, why did you have to say "NRA"? It just opens the door for the same old stupid pointless gun debate, and now another thread is about to go down in flames.

Why is it about to go down in flames? What are you contemplating doing?

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 02:11:18 pm »

Rob, Gun Control is 1. wildly off topic, 2. is a debate that goes nowhere, and 3. a debate that tends to turn both political and nasty almost immediately.

Yes yes I'm sure it's all my fault and it totally would have been a civil and informative debate if only I hadn't etc. Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

Manoli

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 02:44:06 pm »

And why not ?
British SAS have been jailed for exactly that ...

You crack me up, Russ.
Just convinced you were either Wyatt Earp or Stagecoach Mary in an earlier life ... [/leg-pull]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up