Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 32" Monitor recommendation  (Read 1842 times)

felix5616

32" Monitor recommendation
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:50:25 AM »

I am running a 2012 iMac i7 with NVIDIA 1Gb video card and also a 2013 13" macbook pro as a backup/travel computer. I am looking to add a 32" monitor mainly from my imac for photoshop work. I have looked at NEC, Dell and BenQ
I am looking for recommendations regarding which to buy, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DP

Re: 32" Monitor recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:02:16 PM »

I am running a 2012 iMac i7 with NVIDIA 1Gb video card and also a 2013 13" macbook pro as a backup/travel computer. I am looking to add a 32" monitor mainly from my imac for photoshop work. I have looked at NEC, Dell and BenQ
I am looking for recommendations regarding which to buy, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

one might assume the regular 101 : Eizo if you can afford it ... then NEC if you can afford it ... then the rest of the pack if you don't care / not paranoid / not willing to pay more about panel's uniformity, some "true black" stuff and capabilities of profiling software (Dell and BenQ are using some generic rebranded X-Rite stuff - I think so at least) ... $0.02

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 06:32:28 PM »

I have just purchased a Benq 320 and couldn't be happier. Good price and features. Previously, I owned a Dell 2711 wide Gamut which was good at the time.
The Benq is great for wide gamut raw processing and 4K video.

Plenty of positive reviews on the Benq.

If you can afford a 4K Eizo this is probably the best option but to be honest they are overkill for my usage. (I have own one in  the past) .
Dave
 Ma

Kirk_C

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 01:32:26 AM »

I am looking to add a 32" monitor mainly from my imac for photoshop work. I have looked at NEC, Dell and BenQ

Should we assume you'll have the image on the outboard monitor and use the iMac screen for the tools etc ?

The BenQ has been reviewed on this site.

You'll never go wrong with and NEC and Spectraview and the Eizos great if you don't mind the price. I use both and find no advantage to the Eizo for the added price over the NEC with Spectraview.

Frodo

• http://
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 01:36:58 PM »

Yes, BenQ has been reviewed on this site and this is one reason I bought a SW2700.
The first one had absolutely terrible uniformity - obvious to the naked eye. The replacement was better but did not meet BenQs own standards.
Luminance and colour uniformity is a problem with the SW2700s. Either some reviewers don't see this or are lucky.
For an authoritative review, go to www.prad.de, although some reviews are only in German.

felix5616

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 04:18:19 PM »

Bernard, will the NEC PA302SV run on a 2012 macbook pro or a 2013 imac?

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 06:42:35 PM »

Even if all other things are relatively equal, doesn’t Eizo have even better uniformity than NEC, at least with their upper-end models? In any case, while a reasonably high level of uniformity is a good thing, the ultimate in uniformity may or may not be necessary, depending upon what you are doing.

Kirk_C

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 08:55:11 PM »

Yes, BenQ has been reviewed on this site and this is one reason I bought a SW2700.
The first one had absolutely terrible uniformity - obvious to the naked eye. The replacement was better but did not meet BenQs own standards.
Luminance and colour uniformity is a problem with the SW2700s. Either some reviewers don't see this or are lucky.
For an authoritative review, go to www.prad.de, although some reviews are only in German.

That's disappointing to hear and unfortunately that would fit with their price point. Good quality control often means the yield from LCD panels is lower and that results in higher prices.

The good reviews are often done on displays hand selected by the manufacturer. A common practice in many industries.

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 10:23:24 PM »

Not 32" but these guys recommend HP Z series

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-27-inch-monitor/

I have read some bad BenQ reports. I'd avoid.

Don Blauvelt

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 12:44:19 PM »

After my wife purchased the NEC 27" display based on many good reviews. I decided on getting the NEC PA302W-BK-SV 30, when my old EZIO bit the dust.

Unfortunately the 302 that I received had screen problems. Along bottom of the screen it looked like the beginning of a sunrise, subtle but annoying. In addition, if I can remember correctly there seemed to be visible vertical lines as if the screen was three separate pieces.

I did search if other people had the problem at that time and there were other similar complaints, this was in June 2016. I returned it to B&H for a refund.

I believe one of the reccommendations was for the NEC PA302W-BK-SV 30.
I believe this is actually the 30" screen, not a 32". I think you will find that most 32" sized screens will be 4K resolution.

There is some very interesting info on choosing the correct screen size and resolution at Loyyd Chambers blog. Although he is a subscription based website
(I'm a subscriber),  I believe you do not have to be a subscriber to visit.

"2.5K or 4K or 5K Display for Image Editing and Viewing?":

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2018/20180201_0000-choosing-pro-display.html

Don

Wally_in_Austin

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 09:37:44 AM »

I recommend and have Eizo.  The NEC is as good as the Eizo.  The thing to consider for these high-end monitors is are you going to use 10-bit color.  Not all high-end monitors have 10 bit. If you go 10 bit your computer, graphics card, operating system, processing software and monitor must support 10 bit.

Lightroom does not support 10-bit Photoshop does.  Your existing Mac does not. Apple monitors do not.  Current Macs do- they just started at the start of 2017.  This may require more money for new computer gear. 

The high-end EIZO and NEC have built-in lookup tables which help keep color corrected.  The EIZO needs no external calibration- its built in and done in hardware- and is one reason its so much money- Eizo's  quality is unsurpassed too. 

If 10 bit is not important to you a less expensive monitor can work for you.  I would search online for reviews by photographers.  There has been some sample variation reported.

Personal note I use a Surface Pro 3 - i5 processor & Windows configured for 10bit colors and also Apple at work -company policy.  My PC's run Windows using Lightroom, Photoshop, On1, and NIK and never had any issues.

I prefer the usability of the PC.  The hardware of the MAC is great.  I think their software usability compared to Windows is lacking and stuck in the 90's.

For the last decade, I have not had any issues that Apple users always bring up in their postings and articles. Is this a marketing message Apple carefully propagates? 

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 09:43:42 AM by Wally_in_Austin »

digitaldog

• http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 10:35:48 AM »

Lightroom does not support 10-bit Photoshop does.  Your existing Mac does not. Apple monitors do not. 
Sure Mac's do! Took awhile but it's been possible now for a few years. I'm running a fully high bit video path on my Mac with a SpectraView. Easy to check too:
 http://digitaldog.net/files/10-bit-test-ramp.zip
Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers"

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 11:58:08 PM »

Bernard, will the NEC PA302SV run on a 2012 macbook pro or a 2013 imac?

I haven't tried, better to call NEC. I guess it should work.

Cheers,
Bernard

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 01:22:23 PM »

Personal note I use a Surface Pro 3 - i5 processor & Windows configured for 10bit colors and also Apple at work -company policy.

According to Intel, greater than 8bpc "is limited to exclusive full screen DirectX applications", with "no OpenGL support for 10/12 bit with Intel graphics driver".

Seems to rule out LR & PS, yes?
Pages: [1]   Go Up