Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Palouse Panorama  (Read 1175 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Palouse Panorama
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:02:47 pm »

Maddening color shift upon jpeg conversion and downsize. If anyone knows how to compensate, please share. From a ~4 frame stitch.

degrub

Re: Palouse Panorama
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 07:20:00 pm »

What a glorious image ! well done.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 08:45:38 am »

Very nice, and a much needed image to view on a dreary winter's day.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 09:01:24 am »

You might try locking your pixels on each layer before flattening. I find that it keeps things from shifting. You can also lock it all when you've flattened and that may also do the trick.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 09:23:05 am »

Thanks for the tip, Chris! BTW, that's a hungry bird!
Hope you are doing well.

sierraman

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 11:08:40 am »

Good job David. Very nice!  :)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 03:49:15 pm »

Maddening color shift upon jpeg conversion and downsize. If anyone knows how to compensate, please share. From a ~4 frame stitch.

Hi David,

If you are doing this through PS with a stack of layers that are utilising a variety of different blend modes to produce the image you see on screen, which I think may be what you are doing, then all sorts of weird things can happen to the final shot when you flatten the image in one go. Don't know why PS does this (sometimes), but I can only guess that the Adobe code writers might have thought that different blend modes should get processed in an order of preference, you know like mathematical operators or something and which may not then suit the order in which you have processed your image and stacked your layers. In other words it might render an upper layer mode first before the one below it and so on and which can then change the overall effect in the fully flattened image - but as I say, I am only guessing here.

When I occasionally get this problem, what I usually do is to duplicate the background layer, then select this new layer and all the other layers above it, then flatten only these selected layers into a single layer while leaving the background layer alone, then if it works, I then a flatten the image completely. If this doesn't work, then you could try the more long wided method, that is when you have finished processing your file but with all the layers still intact, you could then try stamping each layer effect into a new layer as you work up your layer stack one by one, which again sometimes works. Do this by turning off all your layers except your background layer and the one above it, then highlight the upper visible layer and then press (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E) to stamp them into a new layer, then turn on the layer above it back on, highlight it and do the (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E) thing again and so on all the way up the stack.

If this doesn't work, then I am just reading online that you can also try setting your cache levels preferences down to 1, as the on screen preview is then only ever based on the the full image data at that time, so you won't see any shift when finally flattening to a JPG, but may also mean you will never see the effect that you want to keep and I imagine it could also seriously slow down your machine, as it will have to generate a full screeen preview each and every time you do something new to the file.

Hope this helps  ;)

Oh and if you are using LR and your problem has nothing to do wit PS, then even though LR does not use layers (I think, as I don't use LR myself), then I also assume it uses something similar to a layers type of coding in the background for each step that you take, and if so then that could also cause a shift in colour etc when you export it as a flattened file out to a JPG, due to how it chooses to prioritise and render each effect etc, but I am really only guessing even more now and so as far as LR goes, I am afraid haven't got any suggested work arounds sorry.

Perhaps one of the 'in-the-know' people on here such as Jeff Schewe might be able to help here, as I really would like to know why PS does this (but only occasionally) and how to overcome it when it does, although my rough workarounds mentioned above do seem to sometimes to do the trick, but not always...

Dave
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:10:38 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 04:47:45 pm »

Sierraman - thanks! ;D

Dave, appreciate the ideas and will play around with those or at least keep an eye out. The flattened image seemed fine to my eye, but upon jpeg export (print to file) LR seemed to shift the greens just a bit, darker/bluer or increased the saturation. I haven't tried Chris' trick yet (see above).

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 02:40:56 pm »

Sierraman - thanks! ;D

Dave, appreciate the ideas and will play around with those or at least keep an eye out. The flattened image seemed fine to my eye, but upon jpeg export (print to file) LR seemed to shift the greens just a bit, darker/bluer or increased the saturation. I haven't tried Chris' trick yet (see above).

Hi Dave,

Are you exporting the Jpg out in a different colour space than you are using on-screen perhaps?

Or you could try opening the flattened file under PS and then convereting it to a hi-res Jpg with the colour space that you want, then print straight from that version of the Jpg and see if there is still a colour shift.

But as I say, I don't use LR, so I am only guessing once again.

Dave

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 12:25:18 pm »

Are you exporting the Jpg out in a different colour space than you are using on-screen perhaps?e
Yes, I am exporting from LR (ProPhoto) to an sRGB jpeg file. It may also be that my eyes are deceiving me and I need to check the RGB values.
Pages: [1]   Go Up