Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why still no Nikon D850's  (Read 42721 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Why still no Nikon D850's
« on: January 27, 2018, 10:44:26 am »

Why does Nikon struggle so much to get their cameras to market?  The same thing happened with the Nikon D800.  My guess is they won't be available until April? 

Schmoe

Re: Why still no Nikon D850's
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 10:52:30 am »

They are available in some places but you have to look around. Your worst chances will be with B&H and Adorama because everyone and their grandma orders there. But I’ve heard of tons of success stories from people who bought locally or from places they wouldn’t normally purchase (like BestBuy or Amazon). I got mine from a smaller online vendor called Bedfords. Great service to boot.  The Nikon D850 group on FB is a good place to hear where stock availability shows up. That’s how I leaned about Bedford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 03:23:20 pm »

Probably not useful but I received my 8/24 order from BH three months later.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 03:52:59 pm »

Why does Nikon struggle so much to get their cameras to market?  The same thing happened with the Nikon D800.  My guess is they won't be available until April?

It may be that Nikon is delivering D850s at a respectable rate, but that the demand is stronger than they anticipated.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/nikon-top-full-frame-seller-for-december-2017/

Jim

Schmoe

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 05:49:44 pm »

Probably not useful but I received my 8/24 order from BH three months later.

I pre-ordered with BH in early Sept. By Nov I got sick of waiting and pre-ordered with Bedford. Got it a week or so later. Cancelled BH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 06:39:43 pm »

I was looking to get one for the last several weeks for my next trip but no such luck. Too late for that.
The advantage is that I can wait now and make a less emotional decision. This might be just going the Sony way instead of expanding my Nikon system.

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 11:02:24 pm »

I found mine at Gene's Camera in South Bend, Indiana a couple weeks ago. My home town incidently though I havent lived there since 1975.  Get the Nikon USA dealer's list and start inquiring

jeremyrh

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 07:14:57 am »

The D850 is rare enough but it is pretty common compared with the battery grip!!

sc_john

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 09:04:37 am »

Try Service Photo in Baltimore (http://servicephoto.com). They had D850s in stock last week. I ordered mine from them during the last week of August and had it by the end of September. The owner, Burke Seim is a delight to deal with; after placing my order, I received weekly updates on status. I have no relationship with Service Photo, other than I am a satisfied customer.

John

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 11:05:59 am »

The D850 is rare enough but it is pretty common compared with the battery grip!!

I got my grip at Crutchfield, and it looks like they're still in stock:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-MFZ5H4MFRPV/p_054MBD18/Nikon-MB-D18.html

Jim

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 03:54:14 pm »

The big unknown, as best I can tell, is whether it's constrained supply or overwhelming demand. Either way, they're hard to find.

Last fall, I looked carefully at both the D850 and A7RIII and decided that after a few years with Fuji, the joys of an EVF, and the lack of a need to calibrate autofocus, that mirrorless was the future. I got on the list at my local store and got the A7RIII on release day. I suspect I'd have been happy with a D850; it appears that those fortunate enough to have received one are quite pleased.

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 08:21:07 pm »

I've been blown away with my D850. And that's coming from Phase One, an IQ180. The Nikon has a better sensor, the increased DR is obvious. Here are a few from a couple shoots

http://www.douglasdolde.com/-/galleries/recent-images

Ray

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 09:36:42 pm »

I've been blown away with my D850. And that's coming from Phase One, an IQ180. The Nikon has a better sensor, the increased DR is obvious. Here are a few from a couple shoots

Beautiful shots. The fine texture of the grass reminds me of a woman's hair.  ;D

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 04:18:18 am »

I got my order in seconds after B&H allowed it and got it when they first came in. It is the best Nikon I have ever had, and I have had almost all of them back to the D1X.

Here is a shot yesterday with the Voigtlander 125mm APO-Lanthar lens.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

armand

• Photos
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 04:39:22 pm »

I think the lenses will determine the choice of system more than anything else. I'll be traveling with photo as primary goal and because I can't find everything in a system I have to carry both the Fuji and the Nikon which adds complications and probably weight, it would be much simpler with 2 bodies and 2-3 lenses, partially overlapping.

Right now Sony is in the best position with the 16-35 F2.8 and 24-105 F4 for a photo hiking/backpacking trip. Still waiting to hear more opinions on the latter.
Nikon needs to update its similar lenses, not sure if it will as it's moving a little slow; maybe on the new mirrorless?

PS. makes me wonder why Pentax didn't gain more traction for landscape use.

jeremyrh

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 04:38:43 pm »

And now it turns out that the XQD cards are also hard to find!! This is getting to be a long haul!

armand

• Photos
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 04:45:45 pm »

Every time I'm thinking to go D850 way I hear something like this and it's still not in stock in most places.
The XQD seems will stay a monopoly for the foreseeable future, not good.

DP

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 09:45:22 pm »

I suspect I'd have been happy with a D850; it appears that those fortunate enough to have received one are quite pleased.

you'd _NOT_ = as Jim Kasson shows @ http://blog.kasson.com/a7riii/better-d850-autofocus-accuracy-presentations/

unless you focus manually using live view on LCD.

dasuess

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 07:54:44 am »

How did you PP these images? I have spent a lot of time photographing in JTNP - the rocks and vegetation do not look like your images here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 09:41:34 am »

Doug, I think your impressionistic images are amazing!  Very creative and not boring.  I'd love to see what you can do to Yosemite!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up