Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 clogging under special circumstances  (Read 1321 times)

Username

Epson 4900 clogging under special circumstances
« on: January 26, 2018, 03:18:27 am »

A persistent case of nozzle clogging affects the Epson Stylus Pro 4900, which prints no black despite multiple cleanings. Now this is probably not uncommon in the 4900, but here is a special circumstance from which perhaps a solution can be derived (?).
The device was only used as a proofer from the start, Matt Black was never used. The blockage of several bright colors threw the device out of the race, the owner as well as the dealer gave up the printer and disposed of it. With a lot of patience, I got rid of all colors in several cleaning runs, also photo black. The device printed flawlessly (all colors).
But when I wanted to switch to matt black, there was still the original blank initialize cartridge, so there was never ink flow here. I put in a full cartridge and did not get out any black ink. It is possible that I did the black change with the printer off, so the device did not register that there was a full cartridge here.
So: with the printer on the cartridge out and back in - no droplets printed black, although the cartridge is now recognized by the ink level as completely full. A renewed change of black to glossy had the consequence that also photo black no longer prints. I dared to do the cleaning test with the window cleaner "Windex". A strip of kitchen crepe lightly soaked with the detergent is then placed under the print head for a while to release blockages. Result: a few small drops of black appeared in the nozzle test field. After another cleaning run (only black) the field is completely blank again.
Should I give up the device, or is there still hope for help?

Farmer

Re: Epson 4900 clogging under special circumstances
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 03:53:23 am »

Here's my guess:

MK was never used, so that cart and line was empty or mostly empty and clogged.

When you changed to MK, the printer had a small amount of PK that was ejected but no MK was able to be drawn up from the initial cartridge (such an old cart shouldn't have been used).  The printer recognised the new MK cart even when switched while the machine was off - that's not a problem - but if the line is empty it takes more than just an attempt to print or a clean to fill the line, so the printer had no ink and so you saw no black.

When you changed back to PK, there was no ink from the switch to the head, so even with PK you're getting nothing.

Running some more cleans should bring PK back and it might bring MK black (if you switch to it) if the line isn't blocked through lack of use.

The problem is running cleans while there's no ink in the line risks damaging the head in that channel, but you might get away with it (particularly the PK which won't have a completely empty line.

As for Windex?  Never use it.  You may have damaged the head permanently by using it (not a high risk, but some).  It doesn't help.  It just creates a low viscosity on the head which wicks out a little ink from the head channel - it doesn't clean it really and risks damaging it.  The head is not designed to have Windex on it.
Phil Brown

Username

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 04:06:10 am »

Thank you, Phil, for your explanation. Someone told me as there hadn't been any ink charging in Matte Black, I have to charge it first. How can I make an ink charge (for Black only)?
Felix

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 04:33:14 am »

You can't.  You need a service adjustment utility to make the printer charge the lines.  You can try to do it using cleans, but it's not quite the same.  I'd recommend contacting a service technician.
Phil Brown

Username

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 04:36:05 am »

Thank you!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 10:07:59 am »

Hi Phil,

Several questions about this:

(1) I've heard the origin of such a problem could be the under-use of one of the Black channels - say MK in this case. If one goes for long periods of time without printing matte is it possible that there could be some critical arteriosclerosis in the transportation route from cartridge to printhead? In particular the ink switch mechanism?

(2) Although not stated in the manual for either the 4900 or the 5000, would owners be advised to do a periodic ink switch and print run just to keep both lines "juiced"? If so about how often would be safe in a dryish environment?

(3) Would a succession of powerful cleans of that channel pair, interspersed with purge prints, even over a period of several days usually suffice to safely restore ink flow, rather than prematurely calling in a technician (which tends to be costly in labour charges and wasted ink)?

Mark
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 02:51:40 pm »

(1) I've heard the origin of such a problem could be the under-use of one of the Black channels - say MK in this case. If one goes for long periods of time without printing matte is it possible that there could be some critical arteriosclerosis in the transportation route from cartridge to printhead? In particular the ink switch mechanism?

As I think most large format print makers know, manufacturers all indicate that 6 months the guideline time in which to use an ink cart and 12 months pretty much the maximum suggested time to let a cart be open and plugged in.  This is to maintain quality and ensure sufficient ink flow through the lines, regardless of manufacturer.  Some people regularly go beyond this without issue, but those are the guides.  If you go a long way past this, though, then there is a risk that the ink deteriorates and can lead to blockages or air bubbles and so on.  It's not particularly an issue that I've seen in the switching mechanism for printers with them, but that is likely going to be a place where little blockages or air bubbles might get caught and cause a blockage because, well, physics :-)

(2) Although not stated in the manual for either the 4900 or the 5000, would owners be advised to do a periodic ink switch and print run just to keep both lines "juiced"? If so about how often would be safe in a dryish environment?

I think it depends on what the users are doing.  If you never intend to swap, I wouldn't bother.  If you swap because of need, then you are almost certainly swapping enough to prevent any issue.  I don't think you need regular attention to this UNLESS you never swap but think you might want to years later or that you may want to sell second-hand to someone and ensure they have the option to swap.  Basically, those who are affected by this are a very, very small percentage because most people fall into one of the base categories of "never" or "from time to time" and neither of those will encounter an actual problem.

If you really just wanted to protect the lines for possible future use, I'd go with a monthly swap and nozzle check, but that's not based on any real experience doing it because, really, almost no one would never need to do this (and certainly I never have in my usage).

(3) Would a succession of powerful cleans of that channel pair, interspersed with purge prints, even over a period of several days usually suffice to safely restore ink flow, rather than prematurely calling in a technician (which tends to be costly in labour charges and wasted ink)?

Maybe.  But if you realise you're in this possible situation (and any machine with the original cart in it, unused, is a candidate) and you're wanting to protect the head, calling in a tech to do it properly (and actually have a look at the lines, maybe even replace them or flush them to prevent any rubbish getting near the head) is going to be a lot cheaper than replacing the head or the printer.

If the printer isn't showing ink flow after two or three heavy cleans on that line, I'd be concerned and get a tech.  And, as I said, if I knew the situation with the printer, I'd maybe even call one before even switching.
Mark
[/quote]
Phil Brown

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 03:17:28 pm »

Thanks very much Phil - this will be very useful guidance going forward for a number of our readers.

Mark
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Doug Gray

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 03:55:16 pm »

In the 9800 I've seen a very gradual increase in saturation on some ink channels, presumably from increased ink density when a cartridge was running low and had been in service for close to a year. Apparently cartridges gradually lose solvent from evaporation because they have tiny bleeder tubes that open to the air. It's the opposite of pigment settling which can reduce ink density but can be fixed by shaking the cartridges from time to time.

The 9800 inks say that they should be replaced 6 months after put in service.

Farmer

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 04:45:03 pm »

In the 9800 I've seen a very gradual increase in saturation on some ink channels, presumably from increased ink density when a cartridge was running low and had been in service for close to a year. Apparently cartridges gradually lose solvent from evaporation because they have tiny bleeder tubes that open to the air. It's the opposite of pigment settling which can reduce ink density but can be fixed by shaking the cartridges from time to time.

The 9800 inks say that they should be replaced 6 months after put in service.

Yup, 100%.  They can last well past expiry date before being "opened", but once you start, you are best to use within 6 months and after 12 you will, as you have, likely start to notice changes (this is aqueous inks - solvent and dye sub and so on can be different).
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up