Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon imageprograf Pro-1000 smudging  (Read 5630 times)

MarttiP.

Canon imageprograf Pro-1000 smudging
« on: January 03, 2018, 02:56:38 pm »

Hi,

First post here! I thought this would be best place to ask this.

I bought ipf-1000 about 3 weeks ago. I used to have a pixma pro-1 and wanted bigger printer.

I have a lot of problems with smudges in leading edge. I've been using Hahnemuhle Photo Rag and Canson baryta photographique and platine fibre rag. I think papers are fairly flat, at least as flat as with old printer that I never had any issues. I have tried cleaning and avoid paper abrasion, but it didn't help.

So what to do? Anyone else having these kind of problems?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:34:19 pm by MarttiP. »

gdsf2

Re: Canon imageprograf Pro-1000 smudging
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:53:36 pm »

Are you using the manual feed?  You should be with these paper.

MHMG

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 10:19:48 pm »

First, use a de-curling roller (home made or otherwise) to make sure the paper is really really flat, both front to back and side-to-side. That's the first piece of advice. If that fails (and it might), then in the software driver or the LCD from panel menu navigate to "various settings" next "device settings" then "print settings", then finally choose "Prevent paper abrasion" setting and turn it on.  this feature widens the gap between the head and the paper surface. Frankly, Canon should have set it to on as default anytime one chooses to feed a thicker fine art paper through the manual feed tray :)

Edit:  Aah, I now see that you mentioned the prevent paper abrasion feature, so double check it really has been set. After that, it's all down to the manual feed tray and a really flat piece of paper. If it's happening just at leading or trailing edge of the paper, a slight reverse curl (induced by the de-curling roller) may also help.
Likewise, one can invoke an increase in the vacuum strength, but I've never had to do that to sort out this problem on the types of papers you mentioned. getting the paper flat with prevent paper abrasion on usually does the trick.

good luck,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:27:16 pm by MHMG »

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 01:01:35 am »

Likewise, one can invoke an increase in the vacuum strength

I believe that the vacuum on the PRO-1000 can only be set to on or off. There is no other option.

MarttiP.

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 02:29:57 pm »

Thanks gyus!

This is how curly Canson platine firbe rag is straight from the box. Paper size is a4. Highest corner is about 3 mm high. Do you think that's too bad?

I find it suprising that this printer is much pickier with paper curl than my old pixma pro-1. I thought that it would be much better, not worse.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 02:45:36 pm »

Thanks gyus!

This is how curly Canson platine firbe rag is straight from the box. Paper size is a4. Highest corner is about 3 mm high. Do you think that's too bad?

I find it suprising that this printer is much pickier with paper curl than my old pixma pro-1. I thought that it would be much better, not worse.

I have no problem (marks at the edges as in your pictures) printing with papers curled as yours even with media settings as Pro Platinum or Pro Luster (which use a low head height setting). Are you sure that the vacuum is working? Does the printer makes an "air intake" sound while printing or is silent? The setting for the vacuum in the driver:
Printing Preferences --> Main --> Media Type --> Advanced Settings --> Paper Vacuum --> Printer Default.

MarttiP.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 02:55:10 pm »

I have no problem (marks at the edges as in your pictures) printing with papers curled as yours even with media settings as Pro Platinum or Pro Luster (which use a low head height setting). Are you sure that the vacuum is working? Does the printer makes an "air intake" sound while printing or is silent? The setting for the vacuum in the driver at:
Printing Preferences --> Main --> Media Type --> Advanced Settings --> Paper Vacuum --> Printer Default.

I'm also using pro luster for this paper. That's what Canson says you should use.

It makes an air intake sound and vacuum is set to default. Sound is much louder in the beginning when printer is loading paper, after that it's quieter.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 03:06:08 pm »

I'm also using pro luster for this paper. That's what Canson says you should use.

It makes an air intake sound and vacuum is set to default. Sound is much louder in the beginning when printer is loading paper, after that it's quieter.
One more thing to try. Feed the paper through the long edge. Maybe this can help the vacuum to hold it flatter. I cannot think of anything else right now.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 03:09:10 pm »

Another option is to make a new media type with a head height set higher but then you will have to make a new icc profile also.

MarttiP.

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 03:10:50 pm »

One more thing to try. Feed the paper through the long edge. Maybe this can help the vacuum to hold it flatter. I cannot think of anything else right now.

Yep, I have to try that.

I already contacted Canon about this, but gyu I spoked today didn't know enough to really help. Tomorrow more skilled guy will call me and let's se what he thinks.

MarttiP.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 03:20:48 pm »

Another option is to make a new media type with a head height set higher but then you will have to make a new icc profile also.

I think I can use same icc.

But I will wait and see what they say from Canon.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 03:36:10 pm »

I think I can use same icc.
I tried it and the colors were way off.

MarttiP.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 02:33:48 pm »

Problem solved!

Canon suggested that I should try to raise the printhead and that worked. Pro luster profile uses a low head setting and that seems to be too low for my papers.

I haven't tried Photo Rag yet, but I think same solution will work with that also.

Thank you for your help!

MarkFarber

• Mark Farber
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 11:05:54 pm »

In your first post, you said that you already tried the "avoid paper abrasion" setting.  Is that different from "raising the print head", as you state in your last post?

MarttiP.

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 02:25:42 pm »

In your first post, you said that you already tried the "avoid paper abrasion" setting.  Is that different from "raising the print head", as you state in your last post?

Hi Mark,

Yep. It's different. There's a tab in printer driver "avoid paper abrasion"

And there is a option in printer (I'm not sure but probably you can change this in driver also) to change the print head height. In Photo Luster profile the print head height is by default low. I changed that from printer to normal and it worked.

I haven't tried it with Photo Rag yet, but this worked with Platine Fibre Rag.
Pages: [1]   Go Up