Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7800 color mismatch  (Read 313 times)

joezl

Epson 7800 color mismatch
« on: September 28, 2019, 07:06:14 pm »

I have been using a very old, reliable, Epson 7800 24 inch printer for several years. It has suddenly started messing up my color output. It looks like the printer is double processing my color info. In general my prints are twisted toward too much magenta. It looks very much like the printer software is "assigning" a different profile than the one I choose.
I always print out of photoshop with "Photoshop Manages Colors, Black Point Compensation on.
I tried printing by selecting "Printer Manages Colors, with Color Matching set to "Epson color controls" AND with Color Matching set to "ColorSync". I tried it with different profiles with different paper and reinstalled the Epson print driver. Print nozzles are clean. Nothing works.
Is my printer dead? Any help would be appreciated.
Mac OS 10.12.6, Mac Pro
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 08:12:07 pm by joezl »

Terry_Kennedy

Re: Epson 7800 color mismatch
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 11:03:15 pm »

I have been using a very old, reliable, Epson 7800 24 inch printer for several years. It has suddenly started messing up my color output. It looks like the printer is double processing my color info. In general my prints are twisted toward too much magenta. It looks very much like the printer software is "assigning" a different profile than the one I choose.
What does a nozzle check look like under close inspection? Particularly if it prints large solid blocks like the 4880, though close inspection of the line-style nozzle checks would also be informative. If those look OK, we can eliminate the ink delivery system and printhead.

Mac OS 10.12.6, Mac Pro
Any recent updates to the Mac software or print drivers?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 11:26:19 am »

You should always test output using good color reference images designed for that task. The color reference images RGB values are such they are set for output and are editing and display agnostic. Test the output this way and examine for the same color issues so we know it's not your image specific issues causing the problems:
http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip
DO closely examine a nozzle check first.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

joezl

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 11:24:27 am »

Thanks Andrew. I will print the file you sent. It will reveal a more accurate assessment of the colors that are "off".

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 03:40:01 pm »

If you choose the software to manage colors, you don't want the printer to manage as well or you will be double profiling it.  If you do get a certain color cast on the image, it's because of having software and printer manage colors at the same time (usually the reason).  Also, a nozzle check to make sure they are all firing is helpful too.  If some are clogged, the detailing may show more of a color than another to mix for what you see on screen properly.

The nozzle check will provide the lines of the colors and any breaks (missing lines) of the color will determine if it's clogged and hopefully can be cleaned easily.
Pages: [1]   Go Up