Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why are dark blues purplish in test print  (Read 9727 times)

Andy_S

Re: Why are dark blues purplish in test print
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2018, 04:51:03 pm »

Epson Legacy Baryta was sold out.  So bought Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster.  Printed the test image with colour Managed by Printer.  Colours were accurate in the test print.  Them printed using the Epson profile for the paper.  The test print has the same purplish blues as in the previous test prints on the Ilford GFS paper. 

Since all the test prints using profiles have the same purplish blues this seems to suggest there is something wrong in my
printer set up.  I have double check everything and cannot find anything wrong.  I'm stumped!

Doug Gray

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2018, 01:33:19 pm »

Andy_s,

I ran across this article by Mark Segal who investigated a change Apple made a while back. The change resulted in a significant color shift. He looked closely at the accuracy of printing ColorChecker colors. Interestingly, the largest shift occurred on the blue patch which was off 15 dE! Mark was one of the people that worked hard to get this corrected. This sort of thing is hard to track down without instrumentation and experienced people.

Just on the off chance something related is what's causing your blues.  :)

It's one of the free pieces on LuLa:
https://luminous-landscape.com/printer-manages-colour-pmc/

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2018, 03:06:25 pm »

Hi Doug - yes indeed - that experience ran through my mind early on when Andy brought his problem to our attention, and it is why I asked him what version of software he's using, because that particular issue was bespoke to Photoshop 2015.5 and its corresponding Lr version. Adobe fixed it within short order and as far as I know hasn't come back to haunt us since. The concerned article was "Wither Adobe" here: https://luminous-landscape.com/whither-adobe/, not the one you linked to, which is about printer colour management.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Doug Gray

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2018, 04:14:03 pm »

Hi Doug - yes indeed - that experience ran through my mind early on when Andy brought his problem to our attention, and it is why I asked him what version of software he's using, because that particular issue was bespoke to Photoshop 2015.5 and its corresponding Lr version. Adobe fixed it within short order and as far as I know hasn't come back to haunt us since. The concerned article was "Wither Adobe" here: https://luminous-landscape.com/whither-adobe/, not the one you linked to, which is about printer colour management.

Mark,
Thanks for posting the correct link as I was also looking at your nice "printer manages color" piece and copied the wrong link. I remember the flail and being concerned it had impacted the Windows version - but it had not. That, and the changes Apple made resulting in removal of the no-color-management print option forcing the null transform trick which only works on Windows AFAIK. One would think that sort of thing would be better controlled. Especially since Apple has such a dominant position in the design arts / photography world.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2018, 06:43:45 pm »

Mark,
Thanks for posting the correct link as I was also looking at your nice "printer manages color" piece and copied the wrong link. I remember the flail and being concerned it had impacted the Windows version - but it had not. That, and the changes Apple made resulting in removal of the no-color-management print option forcing the null transform trick which only works on Windows AFAIK. One would think that sort of thing would be better controlled. Especially since Apple has such a dominant position in the design arts / photography world.

Hi Doug, ACPU works well for printing profiling targets using OSX, especially for Epson printers; less clear for the Canon Pro printers, where Canon Print Studio Pro provides a reliable option.

There was clearly a slip-up back in June/July 2016 - I suppose can happen in any software company. It's been pretty smooth sailing on the whole since then. That issue was an Adobe problem, not Apple. As for Apple - not so dominant in the graphic arts/photography world. Some years ago an audience poll I saw at Photoshop World indicated roughly 50/50. A long time ago this was an Apple preserve, but that got heavily diluted over the years as Microsoft really improved dramatically in these areas.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up