Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: High Delta E after monitor calibration  (Read 9947 times)

The View

High Delta E after monitor calibration
« on: January 05, 2018, 12:28:51 am »

I just re-calibrated my NEC PA 271W, 5 years old, 15 000 hours running (but with screen to turn off after 5 minutes of non-usage). Calibrated with i1 Display Pro and Spectraview II 1.1 36 with a Mac running 10.12.6 Sierra.

Calibrated towards 140.0/cd/m2  a Gamma of 2.20 and a D65 white point. contrast ratio monitor default, color gamut native (full)

I haven't done it in a long time and now the delta e of all values over a luminance value of 20 is in the red with an average delta e of 11.74

Does this mean my monitor is burnt out or has the calibration not worked?

Delta E is the relation of color to gray scale value - what does 7.7 signify in a comparable fact?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:33:30 am by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Doug Gray

Re: High Delta E after monitor calibration
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 12:49:05 am »

I just re-calibrated my NEC PA 271W, 5 years old, 15 000 hours running (but with screen to turn off after 5 minutes of non-usage). Calibrated with i1 Display Pro and Spectraview II 1.1 36 with a Mac running 10.12.6 Sierra.

Calibrated towards 140.0/cd/m2  a Gamma of 2.20 and a D65 white point. contrast ratio monitor default, color gamut native (full)

I haven't done it in a long time and now the delta e of all values over a luminance value of 20 is in the red with an average delta e of 11.74

Delta E is the relation of color to gray scale value - what does 7.7 signify in a comparable fact?

Those are very large errors. You might try lower luminance settings. As they age monitors tend to drop in max luminance but they still can be profiled with fairly low dE errors. Unless there is some compatibility issue or the monitor is failing.
DeltaE is the geometric distance between two points in L*a*b* space. Math wise it is sqrt((L1-L2)^2+(a1-a2)^2+(b1-b2)^2). One can visualize it as the distance between 2 points inside a 3D box.

The View

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 01:18:24 am »

Those are very large errors. You might try lower luminance settings. As they age monitors tend to drop in max luminance but they still can be profiled with fairly low dE errors. Unless there is some compatibility issue or the monitor is failing.
DeltaE is the geometric distance between two points in L*a*b* space. Math wise it is sqrt((L1-L2)^2+(a1-a2)^2+(b1-b2)^2). One can visualize it as the distance between 2 points inside a 3D box.

But what does it mean in colors. That colors appear too dark or is it the contrast of the colors? I know when a tire has only 15 psi in it I better not drive.

So, is my monitor low on air and will I be soon riding on the rim?

I'm shooting professionally and do post production as well.

I'll reduce the luminance a bit and see what I'll get. A lower luminance is OK at night, but during the day it can make editing tough.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 01:26:13 am »

I just did another calibration and it totally failed (even though spectraview OK'd it). I can see it the whites are too blue.

In three instances I had noticed that after a mouseclick the display got brighter...

I reduced the intensity to 130 cd/m2 and got the Delta e down to 6.71, average 3.7

I'll see how daytime editing is with this or if I can turn down the intensity even more.

It just did that thing again where the display decreased intensity in a step just like it does when profiling it... 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:44:06 am by The View »

Doug Gray

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 01:46:43 am »

But what does it mean in colors. That colors appear too dark or is it the contrast of the colors? I know when a tire has only 15 psi in it I better not drive.

DeltaE is used as an indication of how different two "colors" are but say nothing about the colors involved. They can be neutral grays, or variably saturated colors of any hue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_difference
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lab_color_space

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 08:49:14 am »

No. Delta E is an error term that measures the difference between a target reference value for a colour patch (gray or any other colour) and the value the device achieved trying to replicate that target value. Normally it is measured using the LAB scale as Doug indicated above. I agree with Doug that the errors you report are much too large. If 7.7 is the average error the profiling evaluation is reporting, it means that on average for all the patches measured there are large disconnects between the target reference values and the corresponding colours the display is projecting. They should be less than 1.0 on average. It is impossible to know the cause of these large errors based on the information provided. It could be a hardware problem with the display, or with the measuring instrument, or with a setting in the display or the colour management software causing this. If you can try the exercise using a different colorimeter on the same display or a different display with the same colorimeter, that would help diagnose whether there is a problem with either the display or the colorimeter. Also check all your calibration settings for the display and the measurement conditions in the software -  I don't know Spectraview so I can't advise on the details, as I use BasicColor for my display profiling. But Spectraview should also give you fine results if all is working properly.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

John Hollenberg

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 09:58:14 am »

Sounds like your monitor is failing.  I have 2,000 hours on my NEC PA272W and average delta E of 0.48 and maximum 0.98.  There isn't much to go wrong with Spectraview software.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 10:29:52 am »

Delta-E and color accuracy
In this 7 minute video I'll cover: What is Delta-E and how we use it to evaluate color differences. Color Accuracy: what it really means, how we measure it using ColorThink Pro and BableColor CT&A. This is an edited subset of a video covering RGB working spaces from raw data (sRGB urban legend Part 1).

Low Rez: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy0BD5aRV9s&feature=youtu.be
High Rez: http://digitaldog.net/files/Delta-E%20and%20Color%20Accuracy%20Video.mp4
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Frodo

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 12:52:54 pm »

I had a broadly similar issue on an AOC screen using the Spyder 4 and datacolor profili g software. The screen gained a magenta tone despite multip!e profiling. I thought my Spyder was dying (I bought an X-rite display pro), but uninstalling and reinstalling the Datacolor software solved the problem.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 01:33:10 pm »

I had a P222 NEC monitor in use for over 8 years and it was for both photo and general use.  I never saw dE values that were as high as the OP observed.  I always calibrated to 120.  If you are seeing visible changes it could mean the monitor is beginning to fail but also might mean that your Display Pro is going bad as well.  If you know of someone in your area who has SpectraView compatible puck, you could at least run a calibration using that to rule out the latter point.

lhodaniel

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 03:24:34 pm »

I would first completely uninstall (I use CleanMyMac or CleanApp for this) then reinstall Spectraview and see if that fixes it. To check the colorimter, try an manual calibration using the OSD and i1Profiler. If the DisplayPro is wonky it should show there.

My 13300 hour P241 showed signs of the backlight yellowing, so I just ran the Self Color Correction routine in the Advanced Settings OSD (category B) and that seemed to help. But, I never had bad delta E's from SVII anyway. It was just having to make a fairly large correction for white balance at the beginning of the calibration.

Lloyd

The View

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 06:16:27 pm »

What worries me is that up and down of brightness.

I had been writing for several hours and not experienced it.

Then I come to this website, and within ten seconds I have had three up-down movements. Not random. Always the same two levels.

It could be that the display is adapting for the huge white areas of the post windows, because after it did this a few times brightness remained stable.

A bit like what the display does when you power up the computer.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:31:35 pm by The View »

The View

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 06:19:03 pm »

I would first completely uninstall (I use CleanMyMac or CleanApp for this) then reinstall Spectraview and see if that fixes it. To check the colorimter, try an manual calibration using the OSD and i1Profiler. If the DisplayPro is wonky it should show there.

My 13300 hour P241 showed signs of the backlight yellowing, so I just ran the Self Color Correction routine in the Advanced Settings OSD (category B) and that seemed to help. But, I never had bad delta E's from SVII anyway. It was just having to make a fairly large correction for white balance at the beginning of the calibration.

Lloyd

That self Color Correction - is it part of Spectraview II?

I don't think you need a cleaning app on a mac - you just pull the app into the trash.

The View

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 06:20:29 pm »

Sounds like your monitor is failing.  I have 2,000 hours on my NEC PA272W and average delta E of 0.48 and maximum 0.98.  There isn't much to go wrong with Spectraview software.

Yes, I have that impression.

I can lessen the errors by reducing brightness.

The View

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 06:30:06 pm »

Delta-E and color accuracy
In this 7 minute video I'll cover: What is Delta-E and how we use it to evaluate color differences. Color Accuracy: what it really means, how we measure it using ColorThink Pro and BableColor CT&A. This is an edited subset of a video covering RGB working spaces from raw data (sRGB urban legend Part 1).

Low Rez: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy0BD5aRV9s&feature=youtu.be
High Rez: http://digitaldog.net/files/Delta-E%20and%20Color%20Accuracy%20Video.mp4

Good video, thank you.

I noticed that with bigger patches a 5.66 delta E is clearly noticeable, with smaller patches it is subtle.

So I'll likely get my brightness down by another 5 cd/m2 and I'll be OK for now.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 06:53:38 pm »

I can lessen the errors by reducing brightness.
Raise it, no harm done but you'll need to adjust the print viewing conditions next to the display for a new match.
I run my PA272W at 150cd/m2 because I can easily adjust my print viewing station and very low levels are harder to hit, certainly as displays age.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

lhodaniel

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 06:56:30 pm »

That self Color Correction - is it part of Spectraview II?

I like the apps because they clean out all the prefs etc that might be causing the problem. And, I was Windows for 23 years so it might be inertia.  :D

No, it's in the OSD, RGB section "Advanced Settings, then scroll to tab "B". I read somewhere long ago that this was to recal the monitor from age effects. I have upgraded to the latest firmware of the monitor, BTW.

Lloyd

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 07:23:22 pm »

No idea but 11.74 is unacceptable for serious work.

Google for "just noticeable difference" + CIE. The value varies but 2.3 seems popular in the literature.

[/quote]Delta E is the relation of color to gray scale value[/quote]

No, it is not, as others have already stated.

The only thing I am bringing extra to the table is the "Just Noticeable Difference", well worth learning about . .

Ted
best regards,

Ted

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 07:53:03 pm »

Ya, but the "JND" is supposed to be a dE of 1.0 in LAB scale.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 10:27:51 pm »

What worries me is that up and down of brightness.

I had been writing for several hours and not experienced it.

Then I come to this website, and within ten seconds I have had three up-down movements. Not random. Always the same two levels.

It could be that the display is adapting for the huge white areas of the post windows, because after it did this a few times brightness remained stable.

A bit like what the display does when you power up the computer.

This is when you start typing or just hitting the keyboard, right?

You might just have a USB connection issue if at any point you are utilizing that type of connection during and after profiling. I'm not familiar with how your display setup is but just as it has been suggested, test by hooking up another monitor (cheapo or old used one) and don't even calibrate it or hook up any device through the USB or any other connection and see if you get this increase/decrease in brightness associated with keyboard activity.

If it doesn't do the brightness fluctuation, then it may be the internal electronics of the NEC display at issue or near or at failure. If it does with the test display, then it's most likely with your internal electronics of your device connection pathway be it USB, Firewire or whatever is used during NEC connects and profiling routines.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:32:13 pm by Tim Lookingbill »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up