Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hooking up nec monitors question  (Read 1751 times)

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
hooking up nec monitors question
« on: August 21, 2018, 12:45:20 am »

Want to buy a nec pa 271q to replace my aging 2690 but keep the old monitor for palettes, etc...

I have a question about hooking up the new monitor, and then attaching my old monitor, a NEC 2690 via the 'display port out' of the new monitor...i hope this isn't too confusing...I'm not sure I see the limitations of what i can and can't do...

The connectivity specs for the PA 271Q are as follows :

1 x DisplayPort; 1 x DisplayPort out; 1 x Mini DisplayPort; 1 x USB Type C; 2 x HDMI; USB ver. 3.1 (3 down / 2 up)

I am currently using a 2015 macbook pro that has two thunderbolt 2 ports. I use one of those for an external akitio enclosure. I have a second enclosure daisy chained to the akitio. All my storage and backup. So, I only have one tb2 port left for the monitor.

oh, my computer is a mid 2015 macbook pro with amd radeon R9 M370x 2048 mb + intel iris pro 1536 mb video

I plan to hook the pa271q to the remaining thunderbolt 2 port and then connect my old nec 2690 to the 'display port out' of the new monitor? I'm interested in using the old monitor, which still works, for photoshop palettes and lightroom library and the new one for the color and b&w pp work...

Will this work?

There's also an hdmi port on the macbook pro, and hdmi ports on the monitor, but always thought it might not display highest quality that way. I'm only doing still photography. No video. I don't fully understand the limitations of hdmi. But maybe this would be fine for palettes, and the lightroom library window?

thanks for advice...

m

here's a link to a page in english with specs if curious...

pa 271q specs

ps. thinking to update my old nec 2690wuxi that is now 9 years old...the left and right sides are starting to show a bit of off white/light tan color so i think maybe i should upgrade, though the monitor should be fine for palettes and web browsing, etc...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:50:05 am by Morris Taub »

Joe Towner

Re: hooking up nec monitors question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 01:24:53 pm »

Long story short you should be able to do a HDMI to DVI for the 2690 (1920x1200).  A quick read on the DisplayPort-out - it wants another monitor that speaks DisplayPort to chain.
t: @PNWMF

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 12:44:32 pm »

Long story short you should be able to do a HDMI to DVI for the 2690 (1920x1200).  A quick read on the DisplayPort-out - it wants another monitor that speaks DisplayPort to chain.

Thanks Joe. I will check out the hdmi to dvi adapter. I thought even a cable from the display port out of the new monitor might work if i find an adapter to dvi and plug that into the old 2690.

The new monitor would plug directly into the computer via my thunderbolt 2 port. Right now the old one is connected via a dvi adapter i bought from apple.

thanks for helping me think this out for myself. I then went through all the ports on my old monitor. Rechecked the ports available on the new one. Something will get me up and running ;-)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 01:17:19 pm »

Just got a 271Q, it's really awesome and an impressive step up from my PA272W. You should be impressed.
There's a new feature I'm in love with:
The human sensor to turn the display off (but keep the connection alive) and it will come back on again when you sit back down. The delay before it starts and the depth of sleep is configurable and the display is color accurate once it comes back on.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 01:29:20 pm »

Just got a 271Q, it's really awesome and an impressive step up from my PA272W.

Other than the proximity sensor, any other upgrades from the 272 that especially impress you?  I haven't been able to find any thorough independent reviews.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 01:33:14 pm »

Other than the proximity sensor, any other upgrades from the 272 that especially impress you?  I haven't been able to find any thorough independent reviews.
The entire unit is much thinner, much lighter and seems to run a bit cooler. Has lots more ways to connect including now USB-C. There's far more options to control the panel via OSD. No longer issues on this end running on a MacBook Pro with lid closed. I'm told by NEC there are these improvements too:

- better black levels / improved contrast
- more connectivity (DP, mDP, HDMI x2, USB-C) and DP out
-  doubled the amount of picture modes (10 instead of 5)
-  the SpectraView Engine & backlight sensor performance is now very visible. You can see on the OSD when it is measuring and what the results are in real time
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up