Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your #1 wish for manufacturers in 2018?  (Read 73283 times)

agbr

What is your #1 wish for manufacturers in 2018?
« on: December 30, 2017, 12:08:41 am »

I like the idea of updating our wish lists, but how about we also rate reality against last year's wishes.

Good idea. How about a new thread, reusing the title “What is your #1 wish...” although in many cases, people have a list of several wishes.

This was my single-wish list:

A full medium format 56x56mm sensor and a Hasselblad V mount back using it.

This did not happen in 2017. However, PhaseOne practically already delivers “full format” 645 format sensors, so I guess MF sensors will eventually grow bigger. Perhaps something like 56 x 84 mm (‘6x8’) or “super four thirds”? :-)

Realistically, however (and while I keep dreaming), I doubt that any square format sensor is likely to be developed for the purpose of using it on existing ‘6x6’ film camera systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agbr

Re: What is your #1 wish for manufacturers in 2018?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 12:14:29 am »

Sorry, it should have been “What is your #1 request for manufacturers in 2018?” but I can’t change the title...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 03:33:20 am »

For Nikon:
- to relase a FF mirrorless body with the super wide lenses they have patented,
- to release a D5s and D5x
- to relase a 200 f2.0 E FL

For Hasselblad:
- to release a H7D-150c with a best in class EVF
- to start releasing new H lenses matching the best glass out there, for instance their own X1D lenses

Cheers,
Bernard

scooby70

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 05:59:27 am »

I'd like the following AF lenses in Sony FE mount...

A 20mm f1.8 and
a nice compact 35mm f1.8 and
a 50mm f2.8 macro.

I've had the existing Sony 50mm macro and it hunted like crazy and gave very inconsistent results so I'd like a redesign with better AF.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 08:31:18 am »

135mm Sony FE 2.8. Something at a better price point than the Batis. I don’t use it enough to justify the almost $2000 price tag.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 08:45:42 am »

My wish for 2018 is that Leica does doesn't introduce a new body based on and sized as the M series, but sans rangefinder and with the EVF of the SL.

shadowblade

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 08:56:36 am »

Canon:
- 5Ds2, with DR that's up to scratch. Either an 8-10fps D850/A7r3 competitor or a 60-70MP high-resolution version will do. Even better if it's both. May be combined with the mirrorless camera option.
- Full-frame mirrorless. The technology has reached the tipping point and it's time for Canon and Nikon to show their hands in this field. If they don't, Sony will just grab more and more market share as mirrorless cameras begin to surpass SLRs in capability. There is a huge long-term benefit to incumbency, as Canon well knows.
- Updates to the 70-200 and supertelephotos. Preferably with mirrorless optimisation, to be equally effective with SLRs and mirrorless bodies. Much easier to have lenses that work well with both systems during the transition than having two separate, incompatible lineups.

Nikon:
- Updated UWAs and tilt-shifts. Apart from the PC-E 19, they're all pretty badly outdated. The 14-24 used to be top dog 10 years ago - now it's bottom of the pile. Again, these should have both mirrorless and SLR optimisation.
- Updated 200-400, with inbuilt TC. I believe they're already doing this  (180-400mm).
- Full-frame mirrorless bodies. Same reason as for Canon.

Sony:
- A9r/A9s. One fast, one medium and one slow in the A9 series, all with top-tier AF.  This might need a bit of redistribution of names - A9s for the current A9 (fast and low-resolution), A9 for something in the 42-50MP, 10fps range (like the A7r3) and A9r for a slow, ultra-high-resolution, low-ISO-focused (perhaps even Foveon-type multilayer sensor) body.
- A better 70-200mm f/2.8
- 200-400mm f/4 with inbuilt TC. Or even a top-tier 200-600mm f/4-5.6 (they amount to much the same thing).
- 500mm f/4L
- An end to the Sony lens price premium

Sigma:
- Tilt-shift lenses
- Sony FE-mount lenses
- Updated long telephotos

HP:
- An update to the Z3200, or at least some other indication of long-term support for the photographic printing market and the Vivera inkset.

EFI/Agfa/Roland/others:
- A UV-curable flatbed printee aimed at the art and photography markets - more printheads for more inks, and a more reasonable size (say, 44x96", for large panoramas, or a smaller 24x36" model) rather than room-sized

Piezography:
- Inksets compatible with Canon/HP thermal inkjet heads, not just the high-maintenance Epson piezo heads
- An updated true neutral inkset using a lightfast blue toner to cool the carbon black, not the current fading ones.

BAB

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 10:42:48 am »

Wish List for new Hasselblad 2018 Camera Body or Factory Retrofitted Optional Hardware
H69D-100c all white wrap available 300 grams lighter
New base plate mounting system Arca Swiss compatible w/ optional hasse base plate[/size][/font]
Tilting LCD back 4K pixel
Mirror UP---Burst mode 5-9FPS once mirror is up (optional)
Focus peaking within viewfinder (using EVF overlay)
4500 ma battery grip with led power indicators
EVF focusing hood w magnified focus
Sensor trim lens specific
Square lens hoods with better light blocking and easier on-off, including lens caps and w a system of Nano glass filter kits and circular polarizer.
Daylight grip screen that articulates
Tilt-shift sensor with IBIS and some kind of internal HTS without 1.5x magnification.[/size][/font]
Revolving back
New location for cable release

Accessories ----
Tripod collars for most lenses
Forearm support grip
Lens belt with quick change lens mounts
Fitted laser cut camera, lens and accessory specific foam insert for backpacks or pelican cases.
Short mini flash bracket for front mount strobe parallel with lens Arca Swiss compatible
Sliding "L" bracket for vertical or landscape orientation dead center mount Arca Swiss compatible
Nodal slider pre marked for H lenses with pano system head and arms incorporating Arca Swiss compatibility mounting.
Front buttons standing proud for easy access or placed elsewhere.
Wish List for January 2018 firmware update
RAW Histogram by channel in live view
Audible Battery warning
Live view blinkies
Digital distance scale read out a mandatory addition
Automated Integrated focus stacking with XYZ points
Vibration analysis
Programmable shutter speed and focus stacking Bracketing w continuous capture.
Auto white balance
Auto ISO
Custom White Balance
Hyper focal point lens specific
Exposure Scale in Live View
Bracketing ability to choose 3 stops over ex. +1, +2, +3 or 3 stop under
Check Focus Zoom in Live View (slide finger on back to zoom)
Custom Presets with the ability to Re-Name Presets

New lenses
30 % lighter weight with lens tabs for manual fine focus and optimized for the sensor.
Improve existing lens focal length line-up especially those produced before 2008
400mm F3.5,  140-380mm F4.5,  85-240mm F4.5,  16-24mm F 3.5,  180mm F2.2, 115mm F2.0,  24mm TS F2.5
OIS lenses
2x Teleconverter
New HTS without 1.5x
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:57:25 am by BAB »
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Paul Roark

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 11:18:50 am »

1.  Lens makers -- Some of us need top quality prime manual focus lenses that are small and light -- the old Leica M approach, but for Sony and others;
2.  Chip makers -- Figure out how to: First, get rid of the cover-glass on our sensors that makes the Leica M glass shorter than 90mm soft at the edges on most platforms, and
     Second, get rid of the Bayer pattern approach to color, perhaps by electronically tunable pixel sensitivity;
3.  Epson -- Drop the barrier to competition in inks via the chips.  For B&W types, we need to be able to have custom B&W inksets that serve our needs.  (The clogging nonsense about third party inks is total BS.)  (BTW Epson, in the meantime I'll just use your older printers.  So, you're hurting your sales of new machines to people like me.)

Then again, what the market has already produced, given the realities of economics and technology, is simply amazing.  This digital revolution has been a great pleasure to live through.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

lightskyland

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 03:33:31 pm »

Loxia 135/3.2

Loxia 28/2.4

I'd settle for CV versions of either / both of these lenses.

lightskyland

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 03:38:51 pm »

1.  Lens makers -- Some of us need top quality prime manual focus lenses that are small and light -- the old Leica M approach, but for Sony and others;

Hi Paul.

How do you like the Loxia 85/2.4 and/or the Loxia 21/2.8? Too big?

Telecaster

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 03:49:24 pm »

Same as 2017: useful WiFi capabilities like auto-uploading to designated networks and firmware updating.

However, as BJL suggested, if you already posted in the 2017 thread, it would be really interesting if you could also share to what extent manufacturers delivered on your wish(es) during the year which is about to end...

Total fail.

-Dave-
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:19:06 pm by Telecaster »

rdonson

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 03:51:37 pm »

For Fuji X-series

- keep up the great work! 

- The firmware updates seem to transform my X-T2 with every version and I look forward to more. 

- Please include in the next firmware release making the choice of 2 or 10 second delays of the shutter release timer "sticky"

- Please include in the next firmware release more flexibility with choosing the blinkies and RBG histograms

- you've said there will be a new version of the X-T2 with IBIS and I look forward to its release although I don't feel the need to upgrade any time soon.  IBIS will be a boon for those shooting video.

Regards,
Ron

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 04:08:19 pm »

I've been looking at the Fujifilm XT2/XPro2 as alternatives to the X100s or Nikon D800 I usually carry into the hills & mountains. I've been holding off until I know what Nikon is going to be doing that is (hopefully) full-frame & lighter than the D800, maybe closer to the Fujis in size & weight. A Nikon mirrorless can't come soon enough. Of course, if it's accompanied by even bigger & heavier lenses (like the Sony), I'll just get an XPro 2 for the long mountain sorties.

agbr

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 04:47:16 pm »

Wow, it’s already getting pretty ambitious

However, as BJL suggested, if you already posted in the 2017 thread, it would be really interesting if you could also share to what extent manufacturers delivered on your wish(es) during the year which is about to end...

Peter McLennan

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 07:05:35 pm »

Amazing how "your #1 wish" quickly evolved into a list of lists.  One (long) list for each of several manufacturers. Photographers are a demanding lot.

Me, I'm with Bernard.  A mirrorless FF Nikon.  With the proviso that it'll take legacy F-mount lenses.  Somehow.

agbr

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 09:00:50 pm »

Yes, there are some pretty tall orders for the industry But also some practical requests.

I don’t know anything about design limitations to be considered for a FF mirrorless Nikon, but is compatibility with the old lenses difficult to imagine? I mean, Nikon probably has the best track record of all manufacturers when it comes to backwards compatibility.

-Peter

shadowblade

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 10:00:41 pm »

Yes, there are some pretty tall orders for the industry But also some practical requests.

I don’t know anything about design limitations to be considered for a FF mirrorless Nikon, but is compatibility with the old lenses difficult to imagine? I mean, Nikon probably has the best track record of all manufacturers when it comes to backwards compatibility.

-Peter

Not unless you change the motors so that they work well for repeated, rapid, small movements as well as single, big movements. Otherwise you're stuck with PDAF only, with limited ability to take advantage of other through-the-sensor focus modes and less overall capability than a lens with a stepper motor.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 12:24:32 am »

1. Schneider Kreuznach Blue Ring 25mm(ish)
2. Native FE 150-600mm f/4-5.6
3. Sony FE 15mm f/2 GM (or faster) with extreme care to minimizing astigmatism
4. Capture One support for the 44x33 sensor Medium Format Jr. cameras

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 02:15:56 am »

Not unless you change the motors so that they work well for repeated, rapid, small movements as well as single, big movements. Otherwise you're stuck with PDAF only, with limited ability to take advantage of other through-the-sensor focus modes and less overall capability than a lens with a stepper motor.

Honnestly you are talking about technological limitations that could be by-passed in a variety of ways. I am not sure how you can be that sure about your claims?

The reasonnable thing to say is that we’ll have to see what Nikon is able to come up with.

They are likely to both produce new lenses and a way to adapt existing ones.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up