Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cuba's Classic Cars From the 50s - for Rob  (Read 1925 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Cuba's Classic Cars From the 50s - for Rob
« on: December 20, 2017, 07:17:24 pm »

Part 1/5

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
Re: Cuba's Classic Cars From the 50s - for Rob
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 07:18:19 pm »

Part 2/5

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 07:19:19 pm »

Part 3/5

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 07:20:15 pm »

Part 4/5

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 07:21:05 pm »

Part 5/5

John R

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 09:51:59 pm »

Really cool Slobodan. My favorite is the one with the two blue windows and green car.

JR

Alskoj

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 10:05:33 pm »

Nice!  Eye candy!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 11:27:04 pm »

Really cool Slobodan. My favorite is the one with the two blue windows and green car.

JR
That's my pick, too.
They are all amazingly immaculate! Except for the Mercedes which had a couple of dings in the front bumper. I wish I could keep my car looking that good.
A fascinating set of images.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 04:38:49 am »

Wonderful bits of nostalgia-but-today!

My Cuban sax playing friend told me these cars all run because they get engine parts from Russia, which used essentially the same engines as American cars... so China and Japan had nothing to teach the Ruskies!

The pink candy (taxi?) also shows how things have gone badly wrong: you could see your corners in many period cars - I could see my Humber's corners too (1974 model) and having to have warning parking sounds today simply shows how badly designed the damned things have become, where you park blind.

Also suprising, considering it's an island, is how corrosion-free these things appear. Cars in Mallorca deteriorate quickly due to gale-borne spray even a klick or more inland. I won't menion hail damage.

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 05:47:41 am »

JR

Me Too. exactly!

Peter

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 06:03:04 am »

My Cuban sax playing friend told me these cars all run because they get engine parts from Russia, which used essentially the same engines as American cars... so China and Japan had nothing to teach the Ruskies!

Maybe it's about the size of the country: the Japanese started by copying English cars (and bikes), while fixing up the engineering weaknesses (which weren't herd to find) and improving production methods. Whereas the Russians thought it as better to copy the Americans... since they had a similar amount of space and similar ambitions?

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 08:03:05 am »

JR

+2

It surprises me how much more modern/customized these cars now look. Does take away a bit from the romanticised idea of a country still rooted in a different era. Then again, they probably have left that era long before anyone realized, even themselves. Maybe capitalism turns out to be the strongest "weapon" of the west....
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 08:54:01 am »

+2

It surprises me how much more modern/customized these cars now look. Does take away a bit from the romanticised idea of a country still rooted in a different era. Then again, they probably have left that era long before anyone realized, even themselves. Maybe capitalism turns out to be the strongest "weapon" of the west....

Possibly so, but you can't shake off a political yoke when you have no money. The huge divison of wealth during the former political era, when it was run by another form of gangster, caused massive resentment amongst the rural poor, which was where Fidel's politics found support.

Communism has always held attraction for those with nothing more to lose; it has also provided a magnetic, dangerous and exciting attraction for those from "privileged" backgrounds who have a different grudge to bear against their own segment of society; similarly, it also appeals to young intellectuals living in a dream world of their own, where everything should be "fair" when, obviously, "fair" is a concept unknown in nature. It always boils down to money, and how much one can get. Those with the mental ability to create heaps of it will do so, whereas those who can't struggle, and can only, as do I, play the lottery. However, for many, that's not enough: the situation becomes one of wanting to remove it from those with the ability to make it, remove either by force or by legislation, often the same thing.

Frankly, politics seem to me to be not about ideals, but about one group trying to remove things from another group in order to make up for its own shortcomings. And the folks we elect to do this for us all seem even more capable for doing it for themselves first. Which, I suppooe is just another form of poetic justice.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 10:04:04 am »

Yes, it likely is similar as China. The distribution of wealth is obviously skewed. The biggest problem there seems to be inflation. The "average" income can no longer afford housing in the city, which results in an interesting paradox: the extremely wealthy individuals like to have their nannies, maids, cleaningladies chauffeurs and what not, but none of those can afford to live nearby...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 11:30:23 am »

Yes, it likely is similar as China. The distribution of wealth is obviously skewed. The biggest problem there seems to be inflation. The "average" income can no longer afford housing in the city, which results in an interesting paradox: the extremely wealthy individuals like to have their nannies, maids, cleaningladies chauffeurs and what not, but none of those can afford to live nearby...

Ah, just like London!

But for London you can add in a host of other jobs too. People commute by train for hours. If they can afford to.

Telecaster

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 04:48:10 pm »

Frankly, politics seem to me to be not about ideals, but about one group trying to remove things from another group in order to make up for its own shortcomings. And the folks we elect to do this for us all seem even more capable for doing it for themselves first. Which, I suppooe is just another form of poetic justice.

There it is! Sorted.  ;)

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up