Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P9000 ‘forgets’ how to work with paper profiles  (Read 2289 times)

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
Epson P9000 ‘forgets’ how to work with paper profiles
« on: December 04, 2017, 01:06:14 pm »

This has now happened to me twice so I thought I would document and see if anyone has suggestions to correct and prevent.

First my System:
Computer: Late 2014 iMac retina 5K running MacOS Sierra 10.13.1
Printer: Epson P9000 Standard edition. Driver: 9.89 Firmware: LW014H4 (updated later during tests to: LW018HA) and Epson P800 driver version 10.01
Software: LR Classic CC Release 7.01 and Photoshop CC Release 19.0

Problem:
Back in October I noticed prints on my P9000 were coming out too dark and with incorrect colors.  This was after a period of being away from the printer for two weeks and it had auto powered down.  After powering up it ran an Auto Clean cycle and nozzle check was OK.  I did not find the Epson Cold Press Natural profile in LR and they were not in HD/Library/Colorsync/profiles.  After going to Epson support website, they stated the profiles would be in library/printers/Epson/inkjetprinter2.  And there they were.  I copied the profiles and pasted into library/Colorsync/profiles.  Exited and restarted LR and there they were but prints still looked bad.  I noticed in the list of profiles in LR that there were several listings of the Cold Press Natural profile.  One in colorsync/profiles and another in the library/printers/P9000/ location.  Selecting the latter location of the profile from the LR list gave the correct output.  I printed a good number of images with MK and PK papers and all seemed fine.

Now in November being away for a little over a week during Thanksgiving I came back with the P9000 having powered down.  So, powered up, ran nozzle check (OK) and went to reprint several images that I had just last printed before the break on Legacy Baryta.  I first noticed that the Baryta profile in LR was no longer listed in the location of library/printers/P9000. But now only in Library/Colorsync.  SO selected that and back to poor colors and dark prints.

I ran some test prints of Baryta and Luster printing both from LR and PS and same results.

SO, my question is do I delete the printers and reload the drivers and how do I prevent this from occurring again?

robertDthomas

Re: UPDATE Epson P9000 ‘forgets’ how to work with paper profiles
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 04:45:22 pm »

While waiting for some feedback here I took a baby step and tried the simple process of going to Mac System Preferences, Printers & Scanners and highlighted the SC-P9000 printer in the list then selected the '-' button on the bottom left to delete the printer from the list.  I then rebooted the Mac and went back to System Preferences, Printers & Scanners and selected the '+' button on the bottom left to add a printer and selected the SC-P9000 from the list that came up and it quickly reinstalled the printer. 

Then printed my test page and colors and all are back.  Not sure why this happened in the first place and if it will stay OK but glad it is back.  If anyone has an idea why this type of thing happened and if there is a better way to fix let me know.

Nora_nor

Re: Epson P9000 ‘forgets’ how to work with paper profiles
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 11:56:46 am »

Maybe the Mac downloaded and installed the driver from apple while you were gone?
Like the P800 air print driver (there has been written a lot about that )

Garnick

Re: UPDATE Epson P9000 ‘forgets’ how to work with paper profiles
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 01:04:11 pm »

While waiting for some feedback here I took a baby step and tried the simple process of going to Mac System Preferences, Printers & Scanners and highlighted the SC-P9000 printer in the list then selected the '-' button on the bottom left to delete the printer from the list.  I then rebooted the Mac and went back to System Preferences, Printers & Scanners and selected the '+' button on the bottom left to add a printer and selected the SC-P9000 from the list that came up and it quickly reinstalled the printer. 

Then printed my test page and colors and all are back.  Not sure why this happened in the first place and if it will stay OK but glad it is back.  If anyone has an idea why this type of thing happened and if there is a better way to fix let me know.

Hi Robert,

Question -- In the App Store, do you have Updates set to download and install automatically.  If so that could be a big issue, and perhaps part of the problem here.  For some time now Apple has had an update for standard desktop printers and scanners.  That Update is named Apple Epson Update I believe, and it should NEVER be installed, since it could interfere with the P9000 driver.  A few years ago there was a huge problem with this update, and I had a large note on my desk reminding me NOT to download it under any circumstances.  Eventually Apple and Epson were able to communicate long enough to solve the problem.  However, earlier this year I noticed on this forum and another one that the dreaded Apple Epson Update was wreaking havoc once again.  Then about a week later it was cleared, as free of problems.  The fact that you were away from the printer for a while with it turned on could have caused this update to install without your permission.  Just a thought, and perhaps that update is clean now regardless.  However, I would definitely suggest that you do not let Apple or any other company update anything automatically, if that's what you do.  It can be dangerous business.  Without knowing what is being brought into you computer you have no defense against viruses, malware etc. 

Gary

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 09:13:27 pm »

First I would recommend you do not move the profiles from the epson installed location to the ColorSync folder.  There is no need to do this, and in fact could cause problems.

Problems like this normally can be resolved with a thorough cleanup of the printing system on the mac.

Download the Epson uninstaller utility from Epson, and use it to uninstall all Epson printer drivers that are on your computer.

Optionally you may also want to use the search function in the finder to locate any folders containing the word Epson.  to do this you have to instruct the search to also look in system folders which it will only do if you click the plus sign to add a criteria, then make sure system files are included.  This may even require you to select the popup in the line created when you click the + symbol, select other check the box by "system files" which will then make it a choice in the popup. ( I don't remember if the current macOS includes system files in the popup choice.  after typing Epson into the search box, wait a second and you should see a choice that says name matches Epson.  Click on that so it is looking only in filenames and not looking inside of actual files.  If there are any epson folders in your system folders you may want to delete them

Open printer preferences and right click in the window with the list of printers.  you will see a choice called reset printing system.  This will wipe all printing preferences from the mac.  This will remove all custom paper sizes and macOS presets.  They can get corrupted.

I then recommend a restart, then download and install the current driver. 

This has solved issues for many.  It might be worth a shot.

robertDthomas

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 06:28:20 pm »

Thanks folks for the feedback.  It seems to be working OK now but I will take the advice to turn off auto updates and once backlog of print jobs give a pause I think the thorough cleaning is a good idea as I have messed with copying profiles over and see I my LR list of available profiles (other) that in some cases I have 2 or 3 copies of a particular paper’s profile.

Thanks againg for the suggestions.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 06:30:24 pm »

First I would recommend you do not move the profiles from the epson installed location to the ColorSync folder.  There is no need to do this, and in fact could cause problems.
Such as?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 07:51:12 pm »

Such as?

The driver might not find them or if you reinstall the driver you might have them in two places, and updates from the updated driver might exist and then which ones will be used?
Phil Brown

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 08:09:17 pm »

The driver might not find them or if you reinstall the driver you might have them in two places, and updates from the updated driver might exist and then which ones will be used?
The driver may not find them? Not at all an issue with Application Manages Color; profiles are not selected in the driver. Maybe on Windows, on a Mac, profiles are found deep in a package, or in the number of other areas they can reside. I've never seen moving profiles outside said packages being an issue, have you? Finding them in two places, sure. Again, not an issue (pick either).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 11:29:14 pm »

I don't believe there is a need to copy the profiles, as I've never seen a case where copying the profiles solved anything. If you copy them you have multiple copies to pick from, certainly Epson has been known to release updates to profiles over the years, especially their newer papers.

I have had several clients who struggled seeing the correct profiles in LR and couldn't select them, after cleaning out their system and removing all of their duplicate profiles (one had at least 3 or 4 copies of the profiles all over the place, in multiple folders inside the ColorSync folder) the problems were resolved.

I cannot say removing the duplicate resolved the problem as several other steps were taken to clean up their macs as well, but I really don't see what could be gained by duplicating the profiles.

Farmer

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 11:29:18 pm »

The driver may not find them? Not at all an issue with Application Manages Color; profiles are not selected in the driver. Maybe on Windows, on a Mac, profiles are found deep in a package, or in the number of other areas they can reside. I've never seen moving profiles outside said packages being an issue, have you? Finding them in two places, sure. Again, not an issue (pick either).

I've never had them moved around enough to have a chance of noticing an issue - i.e. I never move them, so I'm not a good candidate to answer that one :-)  I was just theorising what could be an issue, perhaps.  In short, I don't see why you would bother moving them in most cases (I realises there will be reasons to do so at times).
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up