Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HPz3100 red clogged  (Read 2967 times)

shaun

HPz3100 red clogged
« on: December 12, 2017, 05:26:01 am »

Hi

Red ink is not being printed on z3100. I have done 3 head cleans. Taken head out a couple of times and shaken last time for 15minutes also cleaned where I could get at. No errors or messages to replace printhead (6 months old and 68ml fired).

Been here before and managed to get it sorted but this time nothing.

Shaun

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: HPz3100 red clogged
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 06:23:41 am »

Hi

Red ink is not being printed on z3100. I have done 3 head cleans. Taken head out a couple of times and shaken last time for 15minutes also cleaned where I could get at. No errors or messages to replace printhead (6 months old and 68ml fired).

Been here before and managed to get it sorted but this time nothing.

Shaun
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 07:22:15 am »

I would print a diagnostic image to see if anything else is wrong..

printheads are garanteed for about  1 year by HP, so you can buy a new head without any costs...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

shaun

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 08:34:30 am »

Did that and that is all that there is a problem with. Will contact HP
Thanks
Shaun

shaun

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 08:40:35 am »

Hi Mark

Read through your wonderful website WOW. I did the rubber stamp thing whereby I pushed the printhead onto a piece of kitchen roll. The good news is that it left perfect indent marks so does this mean the problem is elsewhere?

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 09:35:57 am »

Hi Mark

Read through your wonderful website WOW. I did the rubber stamp thing whereby I pushed the printhead onto a piece of kitchen roll. The good news is that it left perfect indent marks so does this mean the problem is elsewhere?

Hi Mark

Yeah, could be problem with the cartridges - they mix to get reds so if the printheads tests good it could be another printhead or two or the cart has lost prime or air in the lines. Check your diagnostic chart with a magnifying glass to see if anything else is amiss first, then you could try printing a large patch that is red, say close to the size of an 11x14 sheet and just keep printing to see if you can force the red to resume printing. Keep printing the same red parch with several pieces of paper,  hanging the hue occassionally. If that won’t do it you’ve got more problems. Good luck - Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 11:22:12 am »

I just recently had a problem with Red not firing properliy on an image with a lot of red. Ended up getting a new print head and all is good! Also, the Red/Matte black head is the farthest on the Right, maybe more susceptible to physical damage from a paper jam--just a thought.

shaun

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 12:21:33 pm »

Created a 24" x 6"  (x 3)swatches of red and printed, it came out orange. So not sure if red is using yellow to print too? When I print chart there is no red.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 03:32:04 pm »

I’d call HP and tell them about the print head and red not showing up on your diagnostic image.  See if they will send you another print head.

M
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

shaun

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 03:51:22 pm »

I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Out of curiosity though I was expecting nothing to print  when the swatch was 100% red?

Best wishes
Shaun

Miles

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 08:44:31 am »

It has been a while since I owned a Z3100, but I remember having problems with red as well and simply replacing the print head took care of it, just as John suggested above.  This was after spending quite some time researching the problem and on the line with tech support.  Hope your problem is as simple as that.
Miles

Bako88fan

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 01:08:15 pm »

I know I'm late to the thread but I had a similar problem. I removed the print head and found the print head carriage socket was gummed up with unused ink. I used a cotton swab and distilled water to clean it. After that, all was well.

deanwork

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 03:11:26 pm »

On the Z3100 and even the z3200,  the red patch on the diagnostic chart does look orange. That's normal.

I know I'm late to the thread but I had a similar problem. I removed the print head and found the print head carriage socket was gummed up with unused ink. I used a cotton swab and distilled water to clean it. After that, all was well.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 06:12:54 pm by deanwork »

shaun

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 08:45:04 am »

Hi All

So I got a new print head and all was working ok until today. Now no red ink again. Called HP and they are sending a printhead under warranty for the head. He said it may be blocked ink tube. If that is so is it possible to sort.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 09:43:41 am »

Hi All

So I got a new print head and all was working ok until today. Now no red ink again. Called HP and they are sending a printhead under warranty for the head. He said it may be blocked ink tube. If that is so is it possible to sort.

Red cartridge itself not very old? Blocked tubes is uncommon but with the least used ink like the red it would be the tube most prone to it.

I think so. Attached a picture of an old head with the ink connector part. It is possible to take that connector off with a screwdriver. Put the screwdriver between the main part and the connector, there is a rectangular hole, turn the screwdriver that the blade pushes underneath the connector, it should pop off.  There will be small SS balls too coming out. Attach a tube or tubes to the connector like done with an old Glassex bottle at the front of the image. I glued Luer connectors in the connector for that and can switch the tube from one channel to the other. You might be able to do it with other tube diameters and a syringe. I found this more convenient and did not use it on a Z model but on an Officejet that has the same connection method for the heads, switched it over to a quad inkset.

Make sure that the red cart has enough ink in it, shake it thoroughly before you start. Select head exchange on the printer. Pull the power plug when the lid is open. Take the red head out. Insert the connector instead and suck the red channel only by pumping. Either use a cloth or a glass for the wasted red ink. Hard to tell where the tube might be blocked but I guess the action will tell enough whether there is flow again. Building up a vacuum in the beginning is a sign the tube was blocked.

It could be done with a cleaning fluid too but that takes more time and the tube has to be really emptied of any fluid again and red ink inserted again and there still may be some color changes when fluid gets mixed in the red ink.

Yes, after that process and printing again that cart may be empty before the printer counted it to empty but the HP printers tend to signal empty too when the cart pump does not deliver enough anymore. Anyway an empty cart weighs 50 gram so you can check it that way too.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

shaun

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 09:58:23 am »

Thanks Ernst. The head was 1 month old with 22ml used. Last head replaced sorted problem but now same issue came back. Hp thought blocked tube so will give it a go if this new head gives issues.

Thanks again

Peter McLennan

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 11:25:19 am »

What is it with these red/black heads?  Mine just recently decided to print black from both parts of the R/B head.  Turns out the red cart was empty, but the printer didn't notify me or do anything except start to print black.  A new red cart seems to have solved the problem.  HP said to just keep printing and watch carefully.

Although slow, it does make pretty awesome prints, though. :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:29:46 am by Peter McLennan »

shaun

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 06:49:26 am »

Hp just sent a red print head. Before I start with tube cleaning...

If I insert a new print head first and it works ok does that mean problem is not with the tube?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 08:25:21 am »

Hp just sent a red print head. Before I start with tube cleaning...

If I insert a new print head first and it works ok does that mean problem is not with the tube?

No. it does not work like that. Could well be that the 22 ML you used on the last head was exactly the ink buffer in that head and no ink fed through the tube. You can repeat that with the new head but I would check the tube etc downwards to the cartridge on flow before you put in the new head.

BTW, do not throw that old head in the bin if the problem was with the tube. You might be able to use it if you shake it too before inserting it again. There were even some instructions on DIY regeneration of heads that lost their buffered ink.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Pages: [1]   Go Up