Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sign canvas before or after varnish?  (Read 1310 times)

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
Sign canvas before or after varnish?
« on: December 22, 2017, 07:55:12 am »

Bought a “Deco Color Extra Fine Metallic Paint Marker” to sign canvas with. Should I sign before or after varnishing the print. My guess is after to optimize for the longevity of the artwork over the signature.

I.T. Supplies

Re: Sign canvas before or after varnish?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 09:38:07 am »

In my opinion, it may be better to sign it before because the coating may not properly accept the marker easily.  I'd recommend testing on a small piece before attempting on an actual print to see which way works best.

mkihne

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 10:18:27 am »

Bought a “Deco Color Extra Fine Metallic Paint Marker” to sign canvas with. Should I sign before or after varnishing the print. My guess is after to optimize for the longevity of the artwork over the signature.
I have used the Deco as well as prismacolor and similar “possibly archival” pigmented markers. I sign after varnishing without issue. I use lyve matte canvas finished with timeless satin.

I am still considering digital signing, adding a “signature” layer to my final image before printing which gives you a consistent signature and removes any archival issues. I have done this with metal prints I have printed elsewhere. I use a bamboo tablet and this also gives you the opportunity to use any color you desire for your sig. In some instances I pick an appropriate color from the image to use for signature.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:06:44 am by mkihne »

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 01:57:19 pm »

These Deco Color pens are good but don't last. I had the tip fall out of a gold one after minimal use and a silver one start leaving blobs early on.  No problem signing a canvas print coated with Breathing Color Timeless Matte

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 02:34:22 pm »

I am still considering digital signing, adding a “signature” layer to my final image before printing which gives you a consistent signature and removes any archival issues.

That's what I do.  Easy, archival, consistent and artistically satisfying.  I did a few zillion signatures on my iPad in ProCreate, chose one, made the background transparent and put it on my desktop. I just drag it onto my image before printing.  It's a smart object, so it's easy to scale and position.  I have a black version and a white version and I can adjust opacity once it's placed. That's the other huge advantage of this approach.  You can precisely place your sig in the image, even hiding it if you choose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up