Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Qimage for MAC?  (Read 21017 times)

hansne

Re: Qimage for MAC?
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2018, 01:00:20 pm »

For many years I'm a satisfied Mac C1 user (version 11 now). For fine-art printing I used QU and therefore had to export the to be printed file to a transfer-folder to QUltimate under Windows/VMWarefusion, it worked but was rather cumbersome. So I was happy to learn that Q1 was around which I'm using now.
There are two ways to transfer C1 files to external editors/programs.
1. Right click and use "edit with" and an intermediate file is generated. The "edit variant" selection window gives a number of options such as file type (jpeg, tiff and psd), ICC profile, resolution and the "open with program" (Q1)
2. Right click and use "open with" and the original file is passed through, in this case, Q1.
The direct invocation of Q1 v107 works fine. My workflow consists of using Affinity Photo for the impaint brush and making a border, so I end up with a TIFF file in C1. I use this file for the "copy with" variant. The advantage of using "copy with" opposed to "edit with" is that you don't end up with extra files in C1.
Make sure that you change History->Manage Disk Space->Delete files/folders older than: to 1 month because the Q1 export folder expands pretty fast.
I also had a problem with the reddish cast, after installation of Q1 the first print was reddish and the following prints were ok. I had to re-install Q1 from scratch an the same happened again. This behaviour remains a mystery for me.
For me Q1 shines for B&W prints.
Hope that this helps.
Hans
www.neecke.eu

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2018, 04:13:21 am »

Hans, dank je wel.

Gives me more info on the C1 save functions. However I do not mind to archive some extra non-RAW files if more work has been done on the original RAW. With almost any RAW developer there is a risk I may not continue using it, for various reasons. Next to that I scan/copy digitally B&W negatives that I still like to develop as RGB RAWs and save them then as Grayscale Gamma 2.2.  1/3 of the size of an RGB 16 bit file. No format is as universal as TIFF or PNG in the long run.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:38:30 am by Ernst Dinkla »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2018, 06:39:37 am »

Next to that I scan/copy digitally B&W negatives that I still like to develop as RGB RAWs and save them then as Grayscale Gamma 2.2.  1/3 of the size of an RGB 16 bit file. No format is as universal as TIFF or PNG in the long run.

Hoi Ernst,

To answer an earlier question, Capture One allows to "Edit with..." and allows to assign a Phase One Gray (G1.0, G1.8, or G2.2) ICC profile to the intermediate (TIFF) output file, which is then opened in a single channel Grayscale mode by e.g. Photoshop. I'm not sure whether Q1 can deal with single channel files though.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:00:08 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2018, 10:06:31 am »

Hoi Ernst,

To answer an earlier question, Capture One allows to "Edit with..." and allows to assign a Phase One Gray (G1.0, G1.8, or G2.2) ICC profile to the intermediate (TIFF) output file, which is then opened in a single channel Grayscale mode by e.g. Photoshop. I'm not sure whether Q1 can deal with single channel files though.

Cheers,
Bart

Dag Bart,

So that means the conversion from RAW/RGB to Greyscale happens on the fly when export is activated?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:37:18 am by Ernst Dinkla »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2018, 10:13:41 am »

Dag Bart,

Thank you. I guess the Capture One Pro for Sony does not have them embedded but I probably can add them. Will search for it. So that means the conversion from RAW/RGB to Greyscale happens on the fly when export is activated?

Yup, that's what I expect is happening, in C1 Pro anyway.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2018, 11:39:23 am »

Hoi Ernst,

Cheers,
Bart

Edit: Sorry, I was mistaken. I got the impression that activation from Capture One Express for Sony  to  the Capture One Pro for Sony  was already done but I was still in Express. The Express version has no direct Grayscale file export, no Grayscale profile to assign.
I will change some of my messages before this one.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:35:32 am by Ernst Dinkla »

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2018, 11:59:02 am »

I also had a problem with the reddish cast, after installation of Q1 the first print was reddish and the following prints were ok. I had to re-install Q1 from scratch an the same happened again. This behaviour remains a mystery for me.

Hi Hans,

As someone who ran into a similar problem myself with QImage Ultimate on Windows 10, your experience is interesting, given you see it on a Mac. Except in my case multiple prints in a row could be affected. My black and white prints were unaffected. Whether the problem is caused by the same bug, or we have seen different problems that superficially appear to be the same, I have no idea.

Damon

hansne

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2018, 03:43:53 am »

Hi Damon,
I put the question about the reddish cast to Andrew Wilford, the developer of the Q1 mac version, and below his reaction:

We suggest you ensure that the print settings in both programs are identical, and that the program passing the images to Qimage One is consistent in the ICC profile settings it passes. This article may help you ensure that everything is set up correctly:
http://ddisoftware.com/tech/articles/may-2011-printing-the-same-colors-in-qimage-ultimate-and-photoshop/

The problem occurred only once after the two initial Q1 installations and I can't recall if there was any 3880 printer setting discrepancy.
Hans

Binartem

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2018, 08:01:38 pm »

We just released 2018.108 which should fix the reddish cast that was occurring for some users under certain conditions/settings.  That version also has the added ability to print cut marks (either crop marks or guide lines) as requested by users.

Regards
Binartem, Inc.
ddisoftware, Inc.

Abdo

• Abdo Abdala - Photography
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2018, 04:33:09 am »

We just released 2018.108 which should fix the reddish cast that was occurring for some users under certain conditions/settings.  That version also has the added ability to print cut marks (either crop marks or guide lines) as requested by users.

Regards

Thanks Mike, I see that things are getting better! Congratulations.

An issue if it is possible in the case of the cut marks, we would not be able to determine a white margin between it and the impression .. 1 "2" 3 "4" ..?

Thank you,

Binartem

« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2018, 06:12:04 am »

An issue if it is possible in the case of the cut marks, we would not be able to determine a white margin between it and the impression .. 1 "2" 3 "4" ..?

Sounds like you are referring to another feature (borders) that was discussed elsewhere which we are considering for future versions, rather than an issue with cut marks.

Regards
Binartem, Inc.
ddisoftware, Inc.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2018, 10:42:30 am »

Thanks Mike, I see that things are getting better! Congratulations.

Thank you,

Well you could add white or colored margins in the application to print from and add the cut marks in Q1.  When Q1 gets the border creation feature it becomes easier and on the fly with printing.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up