Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 11 is here! New features and AppleScript Kit  (Read 5848 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Capture One 11 is here! New features and AppleScript Kit
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 06:18:32 pm »

This update feels a bit thin doesn’t it?

Performance and local retouching were already good enough in my book.

Not sure I’ll update this time around.

You might read our Captue One 11 blog article which notes that the "Rolling Update" development model is much better for users, and means that once you buy Capture One X that you get meaningful new features and improvements in X.1 and X.2 (and X.3 if applicable) as part of that purchase. But that also means the difference between 10.2 and 11.0 is narrower than in days past where the last version of 7.3 to 8.0 was a huge upgrade (mostly because 7.0 to 7.3 included only minor updates/features).

So by all means, if the value for your workflow isn't worth the upgrade then hold off. Maybe 11.1 or 11.2 will change your mind; and if not, that's okay too – that's one advantage of

For some users the improvements to scripting and the tools it enables alone will be worth 100x the cost. For others all the improvements combined wouldn't be worth $10. Every one has to evaluate the equation themselves.

matted

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 01:09:11 am »

Of course I just bought C1 v10 for the full price about a month ago. Knew this would happen!

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 02:28:18 am »

I really hoped they would finally bring a decent version of „dehaze“, perhaps next year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Chris Livsey

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 02:32:19 am »

But now you're talking about how many angels dance on the head of a pin.

Now I can help you there:

The maximal number of angels -- 8.6766*10exp49 at the critical angel mass (3.8807*10exp-34 kg).

BUT
(1) the angels must dance with speeds near the velocity of light in order to obey quantum mechanics;
(2) a full relativistic treatment is necessary; and
(3) that the precision of the dance must break down due to quantum effects.

Quantum Gravity Treatment of the Angel Density Problem
by Anders Sandberg
SANS/NADA, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden

https://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume7/v7i3/angels-7-3.htm

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 08:06:40 am »

Of course I just bought C1 v10 for the full price about a month ago. Knew this would happen!

There is a 30 day grace period. So if it was on the shy side of “about a month ago” you’d get the new version for free.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 12:21:33 pm »

Wait a minute. There is reference to a “Dr Phil Schewe” in that link. Could it be...?
 ;)

Now I can help you there:

The maximal number of angels -- 8.6766*10exp49 at the critical angel mass (3.8807*10exp-34 kg).

BUT
(1) the angels must dance with speeds near the velocity of light in order to obey quantum mechanics;
(2) a full relativistic treatment is necessary; and
(3) that the precision of the dance must break down due to quantum effects.

Quantum Gravity Treatment of the Angel Density Problem
by Anders Sandberg
SANS/NADA, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden

https://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume7/v7i3/angels-7-3.htm

Chris Livsey

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2017, 03:02:23 pm »

Wait a minute. There is reference to a “Dr Phil Schewe” in that link. Could it be...?
 ;)

“We’re not worthy”

matted

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 08:41:18 pm »

There is a 30 day grace period. So if it was on the shy side of “about a month ago” you’d get the new version for free.

I just checked my invoice and a adly it was “a bit more than a month ago”. Oh well. I’m still getting used to C1 and don’t mind the way layers are now so perhaps I’ll hold off on the upgrade until v12.

Is C1 like Camera Raw in that you have to be on a current version to get support for new cameras? Or will new camera support be rolled out to v10 as well for a time?

bcooter

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 08:01:54 pm »

As much as I use the software, I’m more than happy to pay for every version upgrade. It’s one of my least expensive tools. I don’t see, though, an upgrade option from 10.

CB

I agree except, every time you buy a new version of a camera, you usually have to buy the next version of the software.   To me that's kind of crazy.

I wish the people we bought from would think more like we think about our clients.

Imagine me sending a finished still or video to a client, they buy a new computer and can't view it, or I tell them they have to change operating systems and computers?  We all know what the results would be.

And Doug, do us a favor.  Put the system requirements up front so we know if we have to change operating systems, and/or computers.

I use 10.10.5 for a lot of reasons and your last 2 softwares require 11.  No big deal other than it knocks out about 5 programs, 15 plug ins I use, some I can rebuy, some are legacy and can't.

So the option is run a secondary startup system, which means 1 grand for an external SSD and then I'm not sure if your software will install on the external drive even if it's upgraded to Sierra.   It's not just the money, it's the hassle and time.

I would much rather see a charged upgrade on a software that allows me to use a new camera and not go through changing everything, including learning curve, or like irident raw developer that adds cameras and updates at no charge and will work all the way back to snow leopard.

IMO

BC

P.S. And I hear all the time that the subscription model is because people lift the software in a not legal manner.  You know I and most I know would never steal software, but I've seen dozens of assistants that can find and get software suites for free faster than I can buy it legally. 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 08:05:58 pm by bcooter »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 09:24:17 am »

I agree except, every time you buy a new version of a camera, you usually have to buy the next version of the software.   To me that's kind of crazy.
Blame the camera manufacturer. NO 3rd party raw converter manufacture is responsible nor desires this continuing effort to have to hack a new and unnecessary proprietary raw to support it. It's a waste of their time and money and you get to wait. Who produced your new camera? Blame them. Note that the JPEG works just fine but not that new raw. Now you know who's fault that is.  8)
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up