Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: LULA input to Epson and others re paper in 17x25" size?  (Read 4742 times)

pearlstreet

Re: LULA input to Epson and others re paper in 17x25" size?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 06:10:35 pm »

I regularly print 17x25 on a P800.  I believe I had to define a custom paper size on the printer.

I've been using Red River since getting the P800.  In addition to liking the look of the paper, I can purchase the same paper from 4x5 up to 17x25.  This way my 4x5 proofs look the same as my framed 17x25.

I just got samples of the Palo Duro Soft Gloss Rag...very nice.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 05:43:10 am »

A related question for those cutting custom sizes from eg a 17" roll: do you have any special technique or equipment to get a sufficiently square cut?

mearussi

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 06:16:40 am »

A related question for those cutting custom sizes from eg a 17" roll: do you have any special technique or equipment to get a sufficiently square cut?

A mat cutter works best. Lacking that a good paper trimmer will do such as Rotatrim.

aduke

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 12:04:23 pm »

I use a printed cutting mat, one with lines printed, a metal straight-edge and a utility knife with a fresh blade to square the ends of the hand-cut roll paper from my P800. It is much less efficient than the self-cutting of the 4880 I decided to replace.

Alan

MarkFarber

• Mark Farber
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 04:51:33 pm »

I use a similar process, but a little more structured.  See attached images.

(1) I clamp a ruler to the cutting board and my work table.  Roll out the paper -- face down on the CLEAN cutting mat -- and align and weight it tight to the ruler.  I use sand-filled plastic containers for weights.  I work with cotton gloves on.
(2) Put the leading edge at zero.
(3) With 2 more clamps, clamp an L-ruler flush against the ruler.  This assures a 90-degree cutting angle.
(4) Another close-up of the cutting edge, at 25" for a 17x25 sheet (16x24 image).  I cut with a small Olfa knife with snap-off blades.

I de-curl the paper before I print it.  I use a hand-made version, similar in design to this device (https://luminous-landscape.com/d-roller-review/).  I made mine for just a few dollars with 2 sheets of acetate from Blicks (https://www.dickblick.com/items/55501-1100/), taped to each other and then taped to a 24" piece of PVC pipe from Home Depot.  Here's an easier way using an old roll of photo paper: https://www.martinbaileyphotography.com/2015/11/16/decurling-prints-made-on-roll-paper-podcast-497/.  I use a 2" diameter pipe for thick paper and for the ends of the roll; a 3" pipe for thin paper.

I do this either for a single sheet or cut an entire roll at once.  Doesn't take long.  Perfectly square cuts with exact dimensions.  I never lose a sheet, even at the ends.  Once things are set up, I can measure and cut a sheet in about a minute.

Rand47

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 05:24:42 pm »

I do hope the manufacturers are having a look at this thread.  Seeing the gymnastics some of us are using to get “sheets” in this size should be illuminating.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up