Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow Creek Falls  (Read 1495 times)

RBFritz

Snow Creek Falls
« on: October 28, 2017, 12:17:55 pm »

This is a falls about an hour from my house in the Selkirk Range. I took this image on 10/26 am. The canyon doesn't get much light this time of year this far north. The question brought up by my wife is "why don't you freeze the motion of the water?" My answer was that most people don't really like that. So in a way this is a poll. I don't have an image of the falls with the motion totally stopped so some imagining is required. Enjoy and I would like to hear your thoughts and opinions.

KMRennie

Re: Snow Creek Falls
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 12:44:05 pm »

I like it but I also tend to use this kind of shutter speed with water. Just a few things, I often shoot waterfalls at 3 different shutter speeds, the actual speeds depend on the flow rate of the water. First shot approx 1/250s, then 1/10s and lastly a few seconds. I then merge them with the fastest speed used where the flow is fastest ie in the majority of the drop. I use the slowest in the pool where the flow is slowest and the 1/10s on splashes or anywhere that it looks best. I also tend to use the fastest speed on any foliage as it freezes any movement. Your foliage is a little soft, I think. Hope this helps. Ken

RBFritz

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 02:52:25 pm »

I'm not sure I know how to do the specific area merging. I'll have to work on that. Thanks for the feedback.

KMRennie

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 05:24:36 pm »

Do you use Photoshop or Elements and if so do you know how to use layers and masks? If you use something else then I can't help if so then I probably can. Ken

RBFritz

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 07:44:10 pm »

I use cs4, lr5.5, capturenx 1(used to have nikons now fuji's), and am trying Affinity. Lots to learn. CS4 has been my go to for 9 yrs. I won't buy any new Adobe because I don't want to pay monthly; I'm resistant to the cloud I must say.

KMRennie

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 08:17:52 pm »

I know that CS4 uses layers so I just need to remember how to load 2 or more files into layers then it is easy. I am off to a photo exhibition/ competition tomorrow but I will try and help when I return. Ken

Alskoj

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 08:46:17 pm »

First off, you are very lucky to live near the Selkirks.  I often look at real estate in northern Washington as I approach retirement.  I currently live in northern Colorado, so I do count myself very lucky.
Yes, I would think it would be very hard to "freeze" this waterfall without any direct sun on it.  Typically you don't normally freeze water in a waterfall, but in this digital age, it wouldn't hurt to try if the conditions allowed it.   
Your image looks fine the way it is.  If your shutter speed is a few seconds, then it's understandable that there will be some movement in leaves and/or needles if there is any wind.  I don't stack or merge images so someone else will have to help you there.
Do you have a neutral density filter?  If I have a one or two second exposure of a river or waterfall, I'll also throw on a 6 stop ND filter to see what it looks like as a one or two minute exposure. 
On a side note, your image might need to be rotated a few degrees clockwise to level it out.

Also, I think it would be cool if we could post troublesome RAW images and let other photographers on the site work their magic on them.   

RBFritz

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 10:08:08 pm »

Yes I do have a neutral density filter of that rating. This was taken using a cir-pol filter to limit highlight blowout.  I retired here from socal 12 years ago.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 01:34:36 pm »

A beautiful photograph, as is, without using blended images. The smooth boulders in the foreground are, in themselves, photo worthy. I would imagine you could return to this site a dozen times a year and return with spectacular photos each time.

One small niggly is the centrality of the waterfall. To my eye, and this is my own personal bias speaking, a stronger dynamic is created by positioning such a dominant feature off centre, composing to include diagonal leading lines (or rivulets) that entice the viewer around the photo.

That being said, it’s still a gorgeous photo with sumptuous greens, water and boulders. Well seen and captured.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

KMRennie

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 05:22:04 pm »

I agree that it is a lovely photograph. If you want to explore the use of multiple captures at different shutter speeds this is 1 way of doing it in CS4.
Open Bridge CS4 or later. Ctr click on the images that you want to use. Tools/ Photoshop/ Load Files into Photoshop Layers. Photoshop should open with the 2 images loaded as layers. If you do not have the layer window open click F7. I like the fastest shot to be on the top if not then move it to the top. With the top layer selected Layer / Layer Mask/ Reveal All. Get a black brush. I always use a fairly large brush with 0 hardness. Now paint on the layer mask where you want the bottom image to show through. You may want to use less than 100% black if you want only a little to show through. I usually use a flow rate of 25% and this lets you build up the blending. The more you brush it, the more the bottom layer shows through. There is nothing to stop you using more layers. This technique is also used to blend 2 images shot for the foreground and the sky. If you are using it for skies try using a gradient mask as this gives you a result that is difficult to spot. I hope that this helps. Ken

RBFritz

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 02:13:41 pm »

Thank you, KMRennie, for the tutorial. I printed it out and will try it..
Thank you, Alskoj, for your comments and good idea on posting RAW images for others to work on.
Thank you luxborealis for your appreciation of the image and feedback.

Pages: [1]   Go Up