Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off-Topic?  (Read 658 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Off-Topic?
« on: November 26, 2018, 08:00:02 pm »

Hi folks,

How can a subject be off-topic in the Coffee Corner, one might ask?

I have a question about a non-photographic subject which is, neither about politics, nor about the environment, but about the English language (and Moderators, I'm not trying to spark controversies between native UK residents versus USA residents) ;).

For a project I'm involved with in Air Quality measurements, I'm looking for the common/official/scientific terms for the following 3 concepts in bold:
A physical quantity is expressed in units of a certain value.

How could that sentence be reworded (if at all), while meaning the same thing?

For example, to give some guidance;
The physical quantity(?) could be e.g. 'Barometric pressure', 'Temperature', or 'Relative Humidity', etc..
The units(?) could be Pascal (or HectoPascal), 'Kelvin' or degrees 'Celsius' or in English speaking countries more likely 'Fahrenheit', or RH 'percentage'.
The values(?) would be whatever the measurements produce, 1013.25, 293.15 or 20 or 68, or 60%.

Thanks for playing along. It's just a sanity check, in case our project gets international traction. As said, it has little to do with photography.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Off-Topic?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 10:43:48 pm »

Like "a temperature is expressed in Celsius (Fahrenheit) degrees in a valid range" ?

As a non-English speaker, I think the word quality could be replaced with attribute. Unit could stay as is, but values is more tricky.
Interestingly, Merriam-Webster dictionary recommends to use units for physical characteristics, whereas values should be reserved for tax purposes. Actually they use the term unit of value for further discussion on that topic.

Definition of unit of value. 1 : the amount of some one thing taken as a standard by comparison with which to reckon the value of other things. 2 or unit of assessment : the unit of length, surface, capacity, or weight that an assessor used in calculations of or values for the assessment of taxes.

degrub

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:48:25 pm »

You can use “unit of measurement “.

Ivophoto

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 12:50:05 am »

Hi folks,

I have a question about a non-photographic subject which is, neither about politics, nor about the environment, but about the English language (and Moderators, I'm not trying to spark controversies between native UK residents versus USA residents) ;).

For a project I'm involved with in Air Quality measurements, I'm looking for the common/official/scientific terms for the following 3 concepts in bold:

The physical quantity(?) could be e.g. 'Barometric pressure', 'Temperature', or 'Relative Humidity', etc..
The units(?) could be Pascal (or HectoPascal), 'Kelvin' or degrees 'Celsius' or in English speaking countries more likely 'Fahrenheit', or RH 'percentage'.
The values(?) would be whatever the measurements produce, 1013.25, 293.15 or 20 or 68, or 60%.

Thanks for playing along. It's just a sanity check, in case our project gets international traction. As said, it has little to do with photography.

Cheers,
Bart
Seems a question for LinkedIn. I see questions like that passing by on LinkedIn.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 01:50:16 am »

You could also have a unit in a particular scale (e.g. the Fahrenheit scale is a temperature scale using the degree Fahrenheit as the unit)
or a system of measurement unit (e.g. the gram is a metric system unit of mass)
Once measurements were taking place within a particular system we used the terms "recorded values" or "measured values".
But that was some years ago.
David

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 03:23:55 am »

It can't. A forum for discussion of topics of a general nature, ideally related to photography but in any event not related to politics.

Bart, as you have phrased it, I read the "of a certain value" as applying to the "units", not to the "quantity".

If your sentence is merely generic, it's obvious. If you actually substitute names of physical quantities and units, it has meaning, but the "of a certain value" can be omitted.

Barometric pressure is expressed in Pascals.
    Temperature is expressed in Kelvin.

Jeremy

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 05:31:52 pm »

If the work is designed for scientific publication adherence to International System of Units is Preferred.  that being said representation of temperature in degrees Kelvin is seldom used in biochemistry and some chemistry papers since ultra low temperatures are seldom used experimentally (some physical chemistry and physics would be quite different).  In all the scientific work that I carried out some years ago everything was written up in degrees Centigrade.  I'm less familiar with atmospheric science publications and if it's just at normal earth levels Centigrade units might be appropriate.  Upper atmosphere where things are quite cold perhaps Kelvin is the choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up