Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Image Data Converter won't save 16-bit TIFFs.  (Read 1407 times)

shadowblade

Sony Image Data Converter won't save 16-bit TIFFs.
« on: November 03, 2017, 09:43:07 am »

Just installed the latest version of Image Data Converter on a 'new' computer and found that it is no longer able to output in 16-bit TIFF. The dialog's there, but, even when you set the output to 16-bit TIFF, the file that actually comes out still shows up as 8-bit when you open it in Photoshop.

It's a clunky program, but still manages to pull better detail out of Sony files than ACR, so I still keep it around.

Has anyone else come across the same problem?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Sony Image Data Converter won't save 16-bit TIFFs.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:46:57 am »

Can you post a comparison of the difference between Sony's application and ACR in respect of image detail? Best to show it with zero adjustments to both files. I ask because I'd like to get a first hand visual impression of the extent to which it's worth using the Sony app with its issues instead of ACR.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 09:53:28 am »

Can't do it at the moment because it's not working properly, hence the reinstall.

Although I might just move to DxO Optics if the current version of Image Data Converter can no longer output 16-bit files.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 11:08:57 am »

I just downloaded the Sony Raw Converter app to see for myself whether it provides more image detail than I can extract from Lr (same engine as ACR). Of course much depends on the quality of image detail in the original photo, so I selected two that I thought are "pretty good", shot with my Sony a6300 and Zeiss 16~70mm lens, late afternoon, handheld. Sharpening is LR default Amount 25, so I set Sony's default of 0 to 25 also, as perhaps this makes it more apples to apples, but who knows. Anyhow, no visible halos at 100% on screen. I made screen grabs of both photos showing the whole photo, and the 100% segments I used for examination. Sony's default rendition is more saturated and more contrasted than Lr's, so this may give a superficial impression of more sharpness from the Sony; but examining the photos trying to ignore those differences, if anything the Lr rendition is slightly better at image detail from the get-go. At the least, there is no obvious advantage of the Sony over the Lr, and the Lr is just so much richer an application. I've had to split the images into two posts to conform with LuLa attachment limits.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 11:10:24 am »

And here's the second set of attachments.
Pages: [1]   Go Up