Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 internal connecting cables severed by rats  (Read 1314 times)

chrisgoltz

Z3100 internal connecting cables severed by rats
« on: September 23, 2017, 05:30:39 am »

Good day,

I am a freelance photographer living in a game reserve in Namibia, in the deep bush.

Recently, tree rats got into my HP Z3100 printer and bit through almost all internal connecting cables, see sample images attached.

I am unable to reconnect the cables since it is impossible to tell which wire goes where. My livelihood depends on the printer and nobody here in Namibia or South Africa is able to help me.

Is there is a cable set available or maybe a kind of wiring plan? Or detailed photos of the connections? Or any other ideas?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Christian Goltz

degrub

Re: Z3100 internal connecting cables severed by rats
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 11:18:22 am »

have you tried contacting HP support  technician ?

chrisgoltz

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 11:52:00 am »

Yes, still waiting for a reply...

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 06:03:03 pm »

Christian, you can repair this on your own with a soldering iron, heat shrink tubing, a heatgun, and the most important tool, a simple volt meter.  A cheap volt meter will do, since you will be checking one end of a wire (or plug) to the other using the ohm meter function, checking for continuity.  Since the wires are mostly color coded, by using deduction, careful observation, and common sense you should be able to bring it all back together.  Touch one probe to one wire end, keep touching the wires with the other probe , watching the meter swing, registering continuity, until you find the match.  Get some similar guage wire, strip them down, put a length of heat shrink tubing on, and solder the wires together.  Recheck the continuity with the ohm meter, then use the heat gun or a hair dryer on hot and shrink the wrap on the wire and start on the next one.

This would be a horriffic job, however.  If you have no recourse, you might be forced to do this.
Your best approach if no service person is available, would be to buy replacement cables and start replacing them one by one.  You could begin by using the repair manual. 

There's one for download on http://z3200.com

You might be better off replacing the printer, however.  A hint regarding avoiding future disasters with those pesky critters:

Mix cayanne pepper and water and stir thoroughly and use a spray bottle, like for windex, and spray down all the wire surfaces.  They don't like the pepper and should leave it alone.

If you're in an absolute pinch and must fix the printer yourself, know it can be done.  Lots of concentration, research pouring through the manual, looking for and finding a parts list for the cables, and sheer unswerving concentration, taking it one step at a time and you can fix this.

Good luck!

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 06:20:18 pm »

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:11:36 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

35.marco

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 06:40:31 pm »

Good day,

I am a freelance photographer living in a game reserve in Namibia, in the deep bush.

Recently, tree rats got into my HP Z3100 printer and bit through almost all internal connecting cables, see sample images attached.

I am unable to reconnect the cables since it is impossible to tell which wire goes where. My livelihood depends on the printer and nobody here in Namibia or South Africa is able to help me.

Is there is a cable set available or maybe a kind of wiring plan? Or detailed photos of the connections? Or any other ideas?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Christian Goltz
Hi Chris,
Did you check on the service manual which part numbers you need?
When you know which parts you need it may be easier to see if someone can help you.
Is there a way you can receive parts as you write you are deep in the bush I guess the mailman won't stop by.

Grtz Marco (The Netherlands)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

chrisgoltz

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 01:24:31 pm »

Christian, you can repair this on your own with a soldering iron, heat shrink tubing, a heatgun, and the most important tool, a simple volt meter.  A cheap volt meter will do, since you will be checking one end of a wire (or plug) to the other using the ohm meter function, checking for continuity.  Since the wires are mostly color coded, by using deduction, careful observation, and common sense you should be able to bring it all back together.  Touch one probe to one wire end, keep touching the wires with the other probe , watching the meter swing, registering continuity, until you find the match.  Get some similar guage wire, strip them down, put a length of heat shrink tubing on, and solder the wires together.  Recheck the continuity with the ohm meter, then use the heat gun or a hair dryer on hot and shrink the wrap on the wire and start on the next one.

This would be a horriffic job, however.  If you have no recourse, you might be forced to do this.
Your best approach if no service person is available, would be to buy replacement cables and start replacing them one by one.  You could begin by using the repair manual. 

There's one for download on http://z3200.com

You might be better off replacing the printer, however.  A hint regarding avoiding future disasters with those pesky critters:

Mix cayanne pepper and water and stir thoroughly and use a spray bottle, like for windex, and spray down all the wire surfaces.  They don't like the pepper and should leave it alone.

If you're in an absolute pinch and must fix the printer yourself, know it can be done.  Lots of concentration, research pouring through the manual, looking for and finding a parts list for the cables, and sheer unswerving concentration, taking it one step at a time and you can fix this.

Good luck!

Mark

Dear Mark,

Many thanks for your reply and the useful hints!
Yes, I will attempt to fix it myself - not only for financial reasons but I refuse to throw the printer away because of a few broken wires!
I found the left and right ISS on ebay for $55, luckily! Cheaper than a cable set :)
The trailing cable has been eaten too and that I can't fix, so I ordered a new one.
I'll make sure to pepper the whole machine once it's working again :)

Best,

Christian

chrisgoltz

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 01:27:32 pm »

Hi Chris,
Did you check on the service manual which part numbers you need?
When you know which parts you need it may be easier to see if someone can help you.
Is there a way you can receive parts as you write you are deep in the bush I guess the mailman won't stop by.

Grtz Marco (The Netherlands)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Hi Marco,

thanks, yes, see above!
No mailman here, indeed :) I always collect my stuff from the capital when I go there.

Best,

Christian
Pages: [1]   Go Up