Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: London sunrise or sunset landmarks???  (Read 4671 times)

Khurram

London sunrise or sunset landmarks???
« on: August 23, 2006, 11:22:23 am »

I'm currently in Londonm and with the mainly overcast skys during the day, i'm having a tough time gauging what would be good locations for sunset and sunrise (although I did luck out being at by the St. Thomas Hospital to catch a pretty decent sunset at Big Ben in between the rain).  Incidently after that sunset, I was doing some night shooting and was stopped by a police officer along the walkway who said tripods were not allowed without a permit.  WHen i told him i was a tourist, i had to provide him with ID and he noted my canadian residence information.  Is this normal???

Would appreciate on some advice on the best lightings for some of the main landmarks.  I'm working in downtown London so i really only will have time to go to places close by.  I doubt if i'll have time to get out of London bcoz i decided to travel to London for the weekend in between.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

TomConnor

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 01:05:52 pm »

One pretty obvious place is to try from the Greenwich Observatory - it gives a pretty fantastic view over London and the river, and I imagine (although I haven’t tested it yet) it could provide a pretty good place to catch the sunset.
Tom Connor
Epidemiologist at large -----

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 03:50:43 pm »

One pretty obvious place is to try from the Greenwich Observatory - it gives a pretty fantastic view over London and the river, and I imagine (although I haven’t tested it yet) it could provide a pretty good place to catch the sunset.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74232\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can't see the sunset from the Greewich observatory, views or not too spectacular either.

In the current climate and with recent events it would not be unusual to be stopped and have your details taken in London. Around government buildings and other sensitive locations the police are likely to be very sensitive to tripods, etc...
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

TomConnor

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 05:23:30 pm »

As i said, i hadn't tried it - tho the last time i was there earlier in june this year, the view in the evening was pretty nice - although its a moot point, i just had a look on their webshite and they dont allow the use of tripods......  How depressing :/
Tom Connor
Epidemiologist at large -----

mikeck2

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 02:04:39 pm »

I'm currently in Londonm and with the mainly overcast skys during the day, i'm having a tough time gauging what would be good locations for sunset and sunrise (although I did luck out being at by the St. Thomas Hospital to catch a pretty decent sunset at Big Ben in between the rain).  Incidently after that sunset, I was doing some night shooting and was stopped by a police officer along the walkway who said tripods were not allowed without a permit.  WHen i told him i was a tourist, i had to provide him with ID and he noted my canadian residence information.  Is this normal???

Would appreciate on some advice on the best lightings for some of the main landmarks.  I'm working in downtown London so i really only will have time to go to places close by.  I doubt if i'll have time to get out of London bcoz i decided to travel to London for the weekend in between.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74224\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Richmond Hill is a good place for sunsets in London with views over the River Thames, travel by tube or South West Trains to Richmond Station and then by bus or cab to Richmond Hill. After you have completed your photography there are plenty of places to eat in Kew Road, Hill Street and Hill Rise all close to the station

Mike

Khurram

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 06:35:12 pm »

appreciate the suggestions.  I'll be leaving London tomorrow for Paris and will be back late sunday.  So, hopefully, i'll have 2-3 nights of shooting in London b4 returning to canada.
----

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 08:31:33 pm »

In the current climate and with recent events it would not be unusual to be stopped and have your details taken in London. Around government buildings and other sensitive locations the police are likely to be very sensitive to tripods, etc...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74263\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What difference would a tipod make? If you want to photograph something covertly a tripod will only slow you down. It's not as if removing the last bit of camera shake is relevant to a terrorist. Unless of course at the annual Bin Laden photo awards they wanted to blow their duotoned surveillance images up to 20x30.

A photographer was arrested a while back for taking holiday photos!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 08:32:59 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Julian Love

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 12:37:08 pm »

Two central London locations for you:

You can get good sunset shots of Big Ben and the London Eye from Waterloo Bridge. See my picture here for an example (scroll to the bottom).

You can get a nice sunrise photo from London Bridge looking towards Tower Bridge. The sun will rise almost directly above the bridge at this time of year. Have a look here for some examples.

I agree with the poster above, the view from Greenwich is not that great. Good for the skyscrapers at Canary Wharf but that is all.

Happy shooting

Julian

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 12:58:31 pm »

I'd endorse the idea of sunrise from London Bridge looking towards Tower Bridge. Makes a decent shot in the evening too.

John

Khurram

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 07:40:26 pm »

What difference would a tipod make? If you want to photograph something covertly a tripod will only slow you down. It's not as if removing the last bit of camera shake is relevant to a terrorist. Unless of course at the annual Bin Laden photo awards they wanted to blow their duotoned surveillance images up to 20x30.

A photographer was arrested a while back for taking holiday photos!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74395\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanks for the suggestions Jullian - and great photos!!!
----
Pages: [1]   Go Up