Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 390189 times)

John R

Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #2760 on: June 18, 2019, 10:32:55 am »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2761 on: June 18, 2019, 12:27:13 pm »

Trowel Face. Nikon Z7, Z 50mm f/1.8 S.

That should tickle the graphicist within...

Did I just make up a new word there? Well, an image like this deserves that, no?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #2762 on: June 19, 2019, 03:44:59 am »

Thanks, guys.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2763 on: June 20, 2019, 11:11:23 am »

Did I mention the hundred year old crane? Well, there...
Regards,
~ O ~

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2764 on: June 20, 2019, 05:04:18 pm »

The East Lyn, Exmoor

Rob C

« Reply #2765 on: June 21, 2019, 05:43:44 am »

Did I mention the hundred year old crane? Well, there...

A new take on Damocles.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2766 on: June 23, 2019, 04:34:41 pm »

Candy...
Regards,
~ O ~

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2767 on: June 23, 2019, 05:02:18 pm »

Is that a gray body paint?

Rob C

« Reply #2768 on: June 23, 2019, 05:07:52 pm »

A nood by any name...

Well, your honour, she was asking for it!

What? Three years? What did I do? There must be a mistake!

Rob C

« Reply #2769 on: June 25, 2019, 10:48:47 am »

Thumbing through the archive (wasting almost as much electricity as Donald's tweets, but safely as it isn't nuclear-sourced), I came upon an oldie I quite liked.

As I haven't shot anything for a long time, pretty much everything is an oldie.

:-(

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2770 on: June 25, 2019, 01:12:39 pm »

Thumbing through the archive (wasting almost as much electricity as Donald's tweets, but safely as it isn't nuclear-sourced), I came upon an oldie I quite liked.

As I haven't shot anything for a long time, pretty much everything is an oldie.

:-(

I love this...looks like a southwest adobe home, from a late movie from the fifties. Am I close? :~)

Peter

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2771 on: June 25, 2019, 01:24:56 pm »

I love this...looks like...

Looks like Rob forgot his glasses ;)

Rob C

« Reply #2772 on: June 25, 2019, 03:36:01 pm »

I love this...looks like a southwest adobe home, from a late movie from the fifties. Am I close? :~)

Peter

It's the Monastery of Lluch, up in the Tramuntana mountains in Mallorca... I think it's mostly stone.

8/500mm reflex Nikkor focussed to miss focus. It was quite some time ago - haven't driven up those roads since my eyes required specs for distances. Actually, eyes aside, it's more to do with being single: what's the point going on day-trips and all of these things alone? None. But we got the best out of the island when we could, so there's always that: few regrets of omission.

Part of the appeal to me of shooting with focus off is that, at a certain point, it makes an impression rather than a statement, which is sometimes more pleasing and interesting. I'd never have thought of New Mexico, which sort of makes the point!

:-)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 03:40:56 pm by Rob C »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2773 on: June 26, 2019, 07:43:55 am »

Bit of color fun
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #2774 on: June 26, 2019, 08:30:14 am »

Bit of color fun

I have always known you to have an educated eye. I don't know whether by schooling or by self, but you have it nonetheless.

Rob

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2775 on: June 26, 2019, 08:40:17 am »

I have always known you to have an educated eye. I don't know whether by schooling or by self, but you have it nonetheless.

Rob

I'm fairly certain from my grandparents mother's side. Grandpa used to be an avid landscape painter, of reasonable standing locally. Grandma having a pretty good feel for language, a poet, but obviously born in the wrong era to actually pursue a career as such. Since I strongly believe that feeling for language and feeling for imagery (as in: visual language) go hand in hand, I probably got the right combination of DNA.
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #2776 on: June 26, 2019, 09:40:55 am »

I'm fairly certain from my grandparents mother's side. Grandpa used to be an avid landscape painter, of reasonable standing locally. Grandma having a pretty good feel for language, a poet, but obviously born in the wrong era to actually pursue a career as such. Since I strongly believe that feeling for language and feeling for imagery (as in: visual language) go hand in hand, I probably got the right combination of DNA.

You have a point. To reduce it to perhaps a simplistic level: the ability to feel emotional differences in words otherwise pretty interchangeable might have a logical continuity in visual thought, too.

Regarding your grandmother: my mother was born out of time as I sometimes feel that I was, too. She should have been afforded the opportunity of university and the pursuit of a literary career. She lived in books. She never got that. Only rich women got the break. Whether women have the greater genetic energy, or simply by virtue of being around more (in days of old they stayed home bringing up the kids) can exert the greater influence, it has always been the females who have impacted my life more strongly. Even my aunt, no blood relationship, was the one whose interest in Vogue and Harper's Bazaar got my young juices flowing fast and irreversibly, thank goodness. Male family has always appeared boring and without that buzz for life. Perhaps that, too, was conditioning. In evolutionary terms, maybe it makes sense that way: dull often means secure and better for family survival. Well, as insecure as my choice always was, at least the kids got to do what their different abilities allowed.

Perhaps we could measure some of the power or otherwise of this by asking ourselves whether, given the career choice again today, we'd do the same thing. If so, maybe it signals predisposition. Which has to be genetic, non?

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2777 on: June 26, 2019, 10:06:42 am »

You have a point. To reduce it to perhaps a simplistic level: the ability to feel emotional differences in words otherwise pretty interchangeable might have a logical continuity in visual thought, too.

I firmly believe this and this is perhaps one of the prime issues with education these days: the emphasis on systemic thinking, and de-emphasis on emotional breadth. Reduced emotions = reduced languageskills = reduced empathy, with all of the consequences we can see today. It's horrid to think that reduced mental and emotional capacity apparently is favoured in financial success and landing a top job. God knows what will happen next. They used to say Jimmy Carter was a mere peanuts salesman, and he climbed up to become a president. Makes you wonder who could be president in this day and age...

Perhaps we could measure some of the power or otherwise of this by asking ourselves whether, given the career choice again today, we'd do the same thing. If so, maybe it signals predisposition. Which has to be genetic, non?

Here is a question for you (and others here of your generation): were you raised with the idea that a good education is paramount for career opportunity later in life? I am not of your generation, but in my time there was an overemphasis on the economic benefit of educational choices. The systemic thinking applied to the career path which itself would favour systemic thinking as well. Clearly, Pink Floyd (your time?) already saw the future.

In my experience the more successful people in both creative as well as entrepreneurial endeavours, manage to break out of the straightjacket, or never fitted in to begin with.
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #2778 on: June 26, 2019, 10:13:02 am »

I firmly believe this and this is perhaps one of the prime issues with education these days: the emphasis on systemic thinking, and de-emphasis on emotional breadth. Reduced emotions = reduced languageskills = reduced empathy, with all of the consequences we can see today. It's horrid to think that reduced mental and emotional capacity apparently is favoured in financial success and landing a top job. God knows what will happen next. They used to say Jimmy Carter was a mere peanuts salesman, and he climbed up to become a president. Makes you wonder who could be president in this day and age...

Here is a question for you (and others here of your generation): were you raised with the idea that a good education is paramount for career opportunity later in life? I am not of your generation, but in my time there was an overemphasis on the economic benefit of educational choices. The systemic thinking applied to the career path which itself would favour systemic thinking as well. Clearly, Pink Floyd (your time?) already saw the future.

In my experience the more successful people in both creative as well as entrepreneurial endeavours, manage to break out of the straightjacket, or never fitted in to begin with.

How did this happen? There was a response added to the post! Lost, all is in vain!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 10:55:46 am by Rob C »

John R

« Reply #2779 on: June 26, 2019, 02:01:00 pm »

Bit of color fun
Oh yes. Excellent.

JR
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 184   Go Up