Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pixma Pro-100 gloss differential issue  (Read 1672 times)

rasworth

Canon Pixma Pro-100 gloss differential issue
« on: June 30, 2017, 10:02:50 am »

Received my $130 Pro-100 ($380 - eventual $250 rebate), setup was straightforward with one minor glitch - printer arrives with Ethernet disabled.  Ok, read the manual, it's shipped in wifi mode, have to hold down the second switch while the power light blinks 11 times to activate the wired network.

After alignment printed the Outback test photo on the included Canon Pro Luster media, using the Canon profile.  Everything looks good, with the dye ink consistent gloss over the entire image, i.e. the paper gloss with little or no contribution by the ink.  However I'm not in love with Luster, lightweight and tends to kink, not very bright, and per my black light fairly heavy with OBA.

So next tried Ilford Prestige Gold Fibre Gloss, using the Ilford profile for the Pro-100.  The media setting per the profile name was specified to be Premium Pro Paper Semi-gloss.  I set the quality level at 1 (finest), the same as for the Pro Luster print.  The print looks ok, EXCEPT any area darker than R=G=B = 10 or so plates out with severe glossiness, obviously too much ink for the paper.

I can make my own profiles, does anybody in the group have a good feel for the black ink levels vs. media selection for the 100, or am I going to have to print gray step wedges?  Also is low black ink capacity typical for the Ilford Fibre Gold, or for fibre/baryta papers in general?  There was no indication of gloss differential in the saturated color areas on the Ilford Gold, just the deep blacks.

Richard Southworth

rasworth

Re: Canon Pixma Pro-100 gloss differential issue
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 02:43:21 pm »

I tried a couple of media selections, still had the black plating out (extreme glossiness) on the Ilford Fibre Gloss.  Tried Ilford Fibre Silk, not a problem, the black ink penetrated to the extent there was little or no gloss differential.

Went back and re-read the Ilford website instructions for each paper - clearly states the Fibre Gloss is compatible with pigment printers, even though they supply a profile for the Pro-100.  The Fibre Silk is ok for either pigment or dye.

So the Ilford Prestige Gold Fibre Gloss will only be used with the 3880.  It's still a gorgeous paper, just not suitable for dye.  Now the question is what other heavier fibre/baryta papers, other than Ilford Fibre Silk, will work well with the Pro-100.

Richard Southworth

jodo

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 08:43:11 am »

Richard, give the Moab baryta a try. Don't know if my standards are up to yours but I'm very pleased with it in the pro-100.

rasworth

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 11:21:56 am »

jodo,

Thanks for the recommendation.  Went to their website and downloaded the profile, paper appears to hold deep blacks and no OBAs, with a natural white point (b = 3).  Also read Mark's review, which was favorable.  Just reassure me that the dark blacks don't "plate out" giving a very shiny appearance, as compared to the paper gloss level.

Richard Southworth

rasworth

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 04:31:33 pm »

After cranking out a couple of profiles, and doing test prints on Canon Luster, Canon Platinum, Ilford Fibre Silk, and Ilford Fibre Gold, the results are in - Fibre Gold is the best appearing color print paper for the Pro-100, at least with my limited number of samples.  The dye ink "goes down" into the paper with no apparent gloss differential, and the semi-gloss surface is IMO very pleasing.

The Canon Platinum is an interesting paper, very high gloss and very punchy prints.  It's loaded with OBA, a black light really fires it up.  It's heavier than the somewhat flimsy Luster, feels more substantial.  It's too bad Canon doesn't have Luster in a heavier grade, much calmer surface appearance.

I've checked Wilhelm and Aardenburg, could not find any clues as to the permanence of dye inks with Ilford Fibre Gold.  I'm hoping that because the ink seems to penetrate well that the paper will exhibit reasonable image longevity.  Any opinions from the experts?

Richard Southworth
Pages: [1]   Go Up