Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marina at Dawn  (Read 1597 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Marina at Dawn
« on: June 19, 2017, 09:06:46 am »

Got out my old, cheapie Nikon 70-300 for this one and for the egret. The lens's big advantage is that it's lighter than my 28-300, so it's a pleasure to haul around. Thom Hogan and others knock this lens's performance beyond 200mm, but both these shots were made at 300mm. In most cases what you're pointing your lens at is a lot more important than the lens's technical "sharpness."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Marina at Dawn
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 06:23:54 pm »

Then again, maybe not. A fuzzy concept is still a fuzzy concept no matter what lens you point at it.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

graeme

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 06:45:30 pm »

( You'll love this ). I cropped out the buildings in the background & the left side of the image up to the end of the boat shelter & thought it made an interesting image.

Oh what the hell, this has gotten me in trouble before but I'll attach a cropped version. I really like the contrast between the man made elements ( the straight lines of the building + the mechanical stuff ) & the surface of the water. Some good reflections too.

graeme

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 06:51:52 pm »

I also think there might be a good BW in there.

RSL

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 10:43:28 am »

Then again, maybe not. A fuzzy concept is still a fuzzy concept no matter what lens you point at it.

True, Terry. You've demonstrated that truth a number of times.

luxborealis

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 08:39:20 am »

True, Terry. You've demonstrated that truth a number of times.

Ouch! You don't seem to take criticism kindly. But I am also at fault for criticizing without oroviding some perspective.

Objectively-speaking, I think the version graeme posted is a stronger image. It may be cropped (yikes! – that's what one does with a telephoto from the shore when there is no boat to get closer with), but in eliminating the background context, it becomes a more interesting image, although, I understand, it may not be what you envisioned and felt at the time.

And, yes, a monotone would be worth exploring.

RSL

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:55:43 am »

You're right, Terry. I don't take kindly to asinine criticism. Graeme's posting is better if all you want is the outboard motors and the lights. I think the line of houses above the marina, compressed by the long lens, is an important part of the picture. But, of course, you and graeme are perfectly entitled to your own views. I happen to think that Bierstadt's "Among the Sierra Nevadas" would be better without the deer, but I can't re-post his painting in the museum after Photoshopping out the deer. So here I am, stuck with his original concept. As we used to say in software engineering when we realized we'd screwed up: "gosh!"

Do you ever post pictures these days? I see a lot of  off-the-wall critiques, but no recent examples of your work.

Oh, and after having worked almost exclusively in B&W for about seventy years, I almost always check my shots in B&W before I post them. I love B&W. This one needs the subtlety of color.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 11:32:30 am »

:) :) :)

luxborealis

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 06:38:47 pm »

Do you ever post pictures these days?

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of time. My job, not in photography, is about 60 hours a week leaving me little time (and energy) for photography once the usual weekly chores are done. I also make a habit of sharing photographs only when I feel I have something worth sharing, which, given the high quality of many of the postings here, isn't too often.

RSL

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 07:51:45 pm »

Okay then. Let's be friends. I always enjoy crossing verbal swords with people, but sometimes it leads to discomfort -- usually on the part of the other person.

luxborealis

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 08:19:32 pm »

Okay then. Let's be friends. I always enjoy crossing verbal swords with people, but sometimes it leads to discomfort -- usually on the part of the other person.

My thoughts exactly! Thanks, Russ.
Pages: [1]   Go Up