Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watendlath Beck  (Read 2727 times)

KMRennie

Watendlath Beck
« on: June 13, 2017, 05:02:24 pm »

Summer has finally arrived in Cumbria but the greens haven't quite changed to all the same colour however the midge have arrived so standing by a stream with a light smir of rain isn't quite as idyllic as it could be. Ken

churly

Re: Watendlath Beck
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 06:37:17 pm »

A fine image and definitely worth putting up with the swarms.  :)
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 10:11:50 pm »

A fine image and definitely worth putting up with the swarms.  :)
Chuck

Yes. Niggle: the pool at bottom left feels like it's flowing up to the right.

stamper

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 03:48:12 am »

Very,very nice. Nothing is perfect but this comes close to it.

Cornfield

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 03:59:29 am »

A really nice image well shot and processed.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 04:27:45 am »

Nicely done.

KMRennie

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 07:21:21 am »

Thanks for the comments. Scott I can't see the effect about uphill flow but like a lot of these optical effects once you see something one way your brain will not let you see it any other way. I am a little unhappy with the bottom right corner but couldn't get in a position to change the composition without getting into a 3ft deep run and I am not quite crazy enough for that. I will look at brightening the foam streaks to see if that guides the eye quickly into the scene . I will return in the Autumn with waders to catch the foliage and avoid the midges, same as the Scottish ones, obviously coming on holiday here. At least here you can count them and unlike mosquitoes they can't "bite" through clothing. Off to Scotland at the weekend so it is a total cover up with head net and Skin So Soft. Ken

francois

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 10:21:22 am »

I love it. There's a sense of speed and also calmness at the same time.
Well done.
Francois

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 05:07:48 pm »

It's good. You've judged the exposure nicely, blurring the water but retaining a little detail.

Jeremy

KMRennie

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 07:28:59 pm »

Jeremy 1.3s exposure time f22  and polariser used. I also opened the aperture to f11 no polariser to give a 1/5s exposure time as I find that sometimes the approx 1s exposure time gives too little texture in faster runs. I will redo the processing with the f11 rocks as the softening effects of f22 diffraction are just visible at 100%. However the texture of the water in the faster runs is poor at 1/5s. It had been raining heavily so the water was quite brown so another visit perhaps 12 hours after the rain has stopped may give a better image but I am probably just being anal about this. Ken

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 08:35:14 pm »

Beautiful, swaying movement through this photograph. It's one of the few, truly successful photos I've seen of a river running "away" from the viewer.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

donbga

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 09:42:08 pm »

I'm not usually a big fan of the stream - waterfall genre, I think this shot is excellent. Good work.

AndyS

• http://www.astannard.com
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 01:28:10 pm »

Beautiful image - I hope you print it and hang it up somewhere.

Whereabouts along Watendlath Beck were you? Near the Ladore Falls end? I haven't been for a few years, but always find walking along that river so peaceful.

Regards,
Andy.

KMRennie

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 02:44:11 pm »

Andy this is taken approx 200 metres downstream from Watendlath Tarn access from the Western footpath I have posted other images from just upstream of Lodore falls and I may prefer them. Terry it is strange to see water flowing from the bottom of an image to the top and I like it but it is lacking a little bit of WOW so doesn't initially grab the eye but lots of things to explore at leisure. I will print it or a similar 3 shot panorama. Ken

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 01:53:59 pm »

It's one of the few, truly successful photos I've seen of a river running "away" from the viewer.

Oh. That explains why the water seemed to me to be going uphill! I assumed that the water was running towards the viewer.

nma

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 10:53:48 am »

Summer has finally arrived in Cumbria but the greens haven't quite changed to all the same colour however the midge have arrived so standing by a stream with a light smir of rain isn't quite as idyllic as it could be. Ken

I add my praise for this image. The light in the left corner is particularly effective in drawing me through the image.
Pages: [1]   Go Up