Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Polar Fever  (Read 2538 times)

Frodo

Polar Fever
« on: June 12, 2017, 11:57:46 pm »

Great article and nice photos from Martyn Lucas. 
I can certainly relate to the passion about icebergs on my trips to Antarctica.
I was involved in a team under Joe Michael, projection mapping an iceberg onto the Auckland Museum as part of the Auckland Arts Festival. This was the largest projection mapping project in the Southern Hemisphere and was combined with audio recordings of icebergs creaking, groaning and collapsing to a specially composed musical score.  This resulted in a 45 minute loop.
A video of the installation is here: https://youtu.be/NLM2l0Ehe6I

lyndhurst

Re: Polar Fever
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:14:18 pm »

Nice article, but not at all appropriate to use Josh Holko's iceberg shot on the web site for another authors article and not acknowledge it as such
http://blog.jholko.com

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:36:06 pm »

Not cool at all - if true. Perhaps you could make your 'observation' more specific as to the particular photograph?

Nice article, but not at all appropriate to use Josh Holko's iceberg shot on the web site for another authors article and not acknowledge it as such
http://blog.jholko.com

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 01:52:58 am »

Josh is a good friend and I am sure he would let me know if he saw that we used his image.  While we will check with Martyn, I can only presume that Martyn was on one of Josh's trips and was able to shoot the same iceberg.  I know a number of my images could be compared to a few others peoples images as we were all on the same zodiac when we shot the image.   
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 12:26:55 pm »

At the risk of wading in where I don't belong...

I presume the image in question is the one from here:

Martyn Iceberg

which is quite similar to Josh's image:

Josh Holko Iceberg

It seems clear to me that these are different images. The sky is different, the pattern of waves on the water is different, there's less reflection on the water of the Holko image (CPL filter?) and the perspective is slightly different, with Holko's image being taken from slightly further away.
I think Kevin's explanation is the right one, two guy's in the same boat taking photographs of the same iceberg. I'm sure either/both authors can confirm this.

Again, I'm sorry to stick my nose in, but potentially false accusations of dishonesty, lying or theft get me worked up in a way that little else does. I do my best to steer clear of the "Coffee corner" forum and I would make a terrible politician...

Mike
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 12:31:16 pm by schertz »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 02:24:19 pm »

Thank you Mike! I believe you & Kevin found the answer to that question.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 06:35:35 pm »

just to clarify for all - Martyn is a very good long time friend, co-traveller (he has done many workshops and expeditions with me) and a very fine photographer in his own right.

The genesis of the image in question is quite simple - Martyn was standing next to me on the back deck of the Ocean Nova in 2011 (If I recall the year correctly). We both photographed this iceberg extensively as we circled it a number of times. I used a 24mm TSE to get myself a different perspective. It remains one of the most amazing icebergs I have been privileged to photograph.

Martyns interpretation in black and white is lovely.

Cheers all.

Josh

P.S I do appreciate keen observers who spotted this and raised a concern - both here and via email. It it greatly appreciated on many levels.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Martyn

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 07:29:04 am »

Josh, Mike and Kevin, thank you for denouncing the accusation my image was stolen from Joshua Holko.  What a pity we have the uninformed make such false and libelous statements.

Martyn

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 07:53:19 am »

A big thank you to Frodo for sharing the projection mapping of icebergs and soundtrack video, really great stuff...well done!

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 10:25:42 am »

These things happen.  It was good that someone recognizes these images to take notice.  Once again Martyn thanks for the great article.  Your images are excellent as well as all of Josh's and it's a privilege to know both of you and all of share one thing in common a love for Antarctica.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up