Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing on parchment paper? or poster paper?  (Read 7695 times)

disneytoy

Printing on parchment paper? or poster paper?
« on: June 10, 2017, 11:23:18 am »

Hello!

I print on an Epson 9900. A customer asked me if I can print some posters for him 18x24" on parchment paper.  45lb.

Does this exist in a roll that would print on the epson well? Or would I need to print the parchment look on poster paper?

Any suggestions  on papers i can use?

Epson makes a poster paper. Has anyone tried that?

Nora_nor

Re: Printing on parchment paper? or poster paper?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 04:12:42 am »

I can only say I have tried a bamboo drawing paper from a discount store for Christmas cards, on sheets. It worked fine.  Those papers take ink differently. One just has to try.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 05:48:04 am »

Hello!

I print on an Epson 9900. A customer asked me if I can print some posters for him 18x24" on parchment paper.  45lb.

Does this exist in a roll that would print on the epson well? Or would I need to print the parchment look on poster paper?

Any suggestions  on papers i can use?

Epson makes a poster paper. Has anyone tried that?

I would not try it on parchment paper though. It is made as a release paper so it will not stick to bakery products etc and as such ink will not really stick to it either.
Better use an inexpensive glossy inkjet paper that has some resemblance in gloss to the parchment paper. 45lb is something I am not going to compute to gsm (metric man with some dignity) but must be light in weight. It is usually way easier to reproduce a paper color + image with ink on a white paper than print only the image on a paper that has that paper color. Finding the last is not easy either. Reproducing dozens of old Épinal prints taught me that.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

howardm

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 09:57:47 am »

maybe some form of inkjet compatible kozo-ish type paper along w/ Ernst's suggestion.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 10:07:40 am »

Parchment---are you thinking something thin like Vellum?

(There are vellum papers with inkjet receptor coatings)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:16:38 pm by Ken Doo »

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 11:23:30 am »

As Ken Doo above hinted at, there are two separate things that are called parchment:

A) Baking Parchment paper: a chemically treated alpha-cellulose paper that is very non-stick and used in baking. I've used this stuff a lot (not in printing) and is definitely not recommended to put through a printer. I doubt the ink from printer would adhere to the surface and you would end up with a big mess.

B) Parchment / Vellum : "paper" that is made from stretched animal skins and was used for writing important books and legal documents. This should possibly take ink from an inkjet better, but I have ZERO experience working with this material and can't give any useful info. Might be hard to find the real stuff, there's a lot of textured/toned alpha-cellulose paper being called "parchment". Since it is made from animal skins I doubt it can be found in long rolls.

Mike
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:39:18 am by schertz »

Herbc

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 11:40:34 am »

At the risk of showing my ignorance, I don't think vellum has been made from animal skins for some decades-what we used in engineering school was a paper product that accepted ink well, as we had to put ink on the prints so we could then use arc lights for blue printing. I daresay Amazon can supply it. 8)

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 11:52:19 am »

I can find a few suppliers of authentic parchment on the google, such as William Cowley in the UK and Pergamena in the US, but it is very $$$ and limited in size to the actual animals skin. There are all sorts of modern products called parchment or vellum, from tracing papers to fancy paper for printing your resume on... YMMV.

Mike
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:57:12 am by schertz »

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 11:58:22 am »

Notre Dame and a few other universities still make diplomas on real parchment.  It is still made though hard to find in quality and quantity.

I have printed on both parchement and real papyrus although in each case was unable to make a custom profile due to the substrates not having a high enough white point for the spectrophotometer to read correctly.  In every case it failed to complete.

Nevertheless, I  was able to print using various presets.  In every case, the ink bled significantly yet was of sufficient quality for what I needed to accomplish.

Perhaps an ink jet printable coating applied first would have been best.

In medieval times parchment was reused by preparing previous surfaces with pumice and rottenstone to prepare fresh surfaces.  There are old rare books that can be found that are in such bad condition that they sell inexpensively.  The book could be dissassembled, and the pages reworked for new printing.

Animal skin parchment is very tough stuff - it can be reused after a good deal of work.  Or you can buy the modern synthetic velum equivalents.  Real papyrus is still available and is quite interesting.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

deanwork

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 12:19:50 pm »

I be always wanted to find a synthetic vellum that looked like the historic real thing but have never fond one. You know, something that looked like a non plastic organic translucent surface. If anyone knows I would love to buy some for printing text wall labels. Wish some one would make one. Hahnemuhle does have that Torchon parchment surface and it is very sharp but thick opaque cotton.It has a great coating. I use that for wal labels and portfolio text. Also I like to use the Belgian linen which is coated by jacquard and sold as the fabrisign line. Very beautiful and you can but a 42" sample roll that is about 8 feet long. I make scrolls with it as it hangs very flat.

As for inexpensive bleached and unbleachd raw kozo this place    www.mulberryandmore.com has it in rolls and sheets and it is cheap. Our local Blick art supplies carries it as well.

I printed on it for years until the sharper new coated products became available .

What I used to do is tape it to a piece of poster board to run through until someone told me to just turn off the vacuum on the printer. On the hp I never needed any backing sheet.

disneytoy

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 03:19:09 pm »

Thanks gang!

I used parcment just as a description. I wasnt thinking about using the thin baking paper.  At further research, i find the term parchtone used. Thst being the paper used in diplomas.  I was hoping to find a 24" roll of such a paper for this project, but I guess it doesnt exist. This needs to be mostly opaque not translucent like tracing paper.  I have some resume paper that is of that mottled texture. But these need to be 18x24"

Thsnks for everyones input.

Max

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 03:57:40 pm »

Thanks gang!

I used parcment just as a description. I wasnt thinking about using the thin baking paper.  At further research, i find the term parchtone used. Thst being the paper used in diplomas.  I was hoping to find a 24" roll of such a paper for this project, but I guess it doesnt exist. This needs to be mostly opaque not translucent like tracing paper.  I have some resume paper that is of that mottled texture. But these need to be 18x24"

Thsnks for everyones input.

Max

https://legionpaper.com/parchtone/

You will find more like that in offset paper catalogs. Large sheets too.  Given the image that has to be printed it does not have to be an inkjet coated paper I think.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 04:10:58 pm »

I be always wanted to find a synthetic vellum that looked like the historic real thing but have never fond one. You know, something that looked like a non plastic organic translucent surface. If anyone knows I would love to buy some for printing text wall labels.

For a restoration project I have to print on tracing paper or alike. HP's Tracing paper is too light for the job, so was a non-inkjet Schoellerhammer tracing paper at 115 gsm. Both warp fast with higher inkloads.  There is an inkjet coated PET drafting film that resembles tracing paper well, can load more ink but with the disadvantage that the ink becomes glossy too fast and has long drying times. Specs attached.

na goodman

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 07:44:34 pm »

If you have a paper company near you or a distributor you could buy the parent sheets which are approximately 26" x 40". They would or should have the mottled paper that you found.

disneytoy

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 03:04:06 am »

Ill check that out. Would prefer a roll of paper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up