Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Catnip more effective than DEET  (Read 6917 times)

NancyP

Re: Catnip more effective than DEET
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 01:06:47 pm »

Thanks for heads-up on Powhassan virus.
For Permethrin clothing, I find it works best to have designated pants, shirts, socks sent off to the Insect Shield facility for their soak treatment which supposedly lasts 70 washings (cold or warm, not hot water wash temp). If you aren't sure whether your clothing would be compatible with treatment, note the cloth content on its label (eg, 100% nylon) and ask them. My 100% nylon fishing shirts and pants are fine, as are wool and most "wicking" synthetics socks. It helps to either have them sew an "Insect Shield" label on woven goods, or just remember which items were sent for treatment in what year. They imprint the socks with some label which I expect will wear off relatively soon, but I sent unique-color socks so I ought to be able to keep track. I think that I will likely renew the treatment every third year - I expect that the "herald" of declining effectiveness would be to get a few chigger bites, which would mean that one of the sub-millimeter chigger larvae managed to crawl through socks. The treatment costs $10.00 per item (pair socks, shirt, pants are each one item), with discounts of $1.00 to $2.00 per item for bulk orders of at least 10 items treated. This is definitely cheaper than the Sawyer DIY sprays that I used - now I use Sawyer DIY permethrin spray only for tents/hammock/hat.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2017, 08:37:43 am »

When it is unbearable I'll use a couple of drops of DEET.  Best is to have a mosquito suit.  Here is a short video during the height of mosquito season 2015.  As Ranger Dave  explains - we can survive!

JKoerner007

• "A picture's worth a thousand words."
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 11:05:43 pm »

Babesia and Leishmaniasis are not viruses, but they are other tick-borne diseases (protozoa much worse than Lyme disease) and on a par with the Powhassan virus, for nature photographers to worry about.

The former is dangerous, but manageable, while the latter can also be fatal (in fact, Bill Gates is devoting millions to find the cure for Leishmaniasis.)

While Leishmaniasis is thought to be a Mediterranean disease, the fact is it has been in the US for over 2 decades, and the Sand Fly is in fact its #1 vector. (It is 100% fatal to dogs also.)

If you're worried about DEET, you can buy pure Neem Oil and dilute it for organic application. Look for authentic outlets for pure, 100% Neem Oil. As for how to use, Mix 15 ml of Neem Oil with the 16 oz of water. Add 3 ml of Ivory Liquid as an emulsifier and shake well. (If you're using a 32-oz bottle, then add 30 ml of Neem Oil and 5 ml of Ivory Liquid). Shake well to distribute evenly. Apply to all exposed areas of skin.

For those who poo-poo natural derivatives, consider these facts:
  • FACT: The most common drug used to repel fleas, flies, mosquitoes, ticks, etc. on pets and livestock (in the United States) is pyrethrin, which is derived from the Chrysanthemum plant
  • FACT: The oil derived from the Neem Tree in India contains even stronger insect-repelling properties than the Chrysanthemum plant.
  • FACT: Over 60% of all the outstanding drugs, medicines, and other pharmaceuticals that have proven time and again to be effective are NOT permitted in the United States (e.g., such as Berenil). Robert Higgs, who has made it his life's work to invesigate the FDA, concludes that (because it can cost millions to get drugs "approved" by the FDA, as they want their cut) millions of Americans are universally deprived of excellent, proven medicines used effectively in many other places of the world.
Take ticks and blood-borne parasitism seriously. If you don't like using chemical repellents, Neem Oil is perhaps the best organic alternative available.

degrub

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 08:34:15 am »

All of those are "chemical" repellents or pesticides no matter the source.
And yes, many useful chemicals have and continue to be extracted from plants and other sources in the world for use as medicines, pesticides, anti-fungals, etc. Using natural selection to pre-screen molecules is a useful tool.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 09:46:29 am »

Not a fan of DEET because of potential damage to equipment. Repellents with Picaradin seems to work well for me.

ken

JKoerner007

• "A picture's worth a thousand words."
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 02:22:57 pm »

Avon (the cosmetics company), do a moisteriser called 'Skin so Soft' - brilliant at keeping insects away, with none of the unpleasant effects you get from DEET. Good enough for 3 Commando Brigade to use during jungle deployments in Belize & Brunei, and trust me, if you want insects, they're the sort of places you want to go :-)

Here is some reference material from the CDC, outlining accepted mosquito/tick-preventative formulas, which indicates Skin-So-Soft formulations are in fact effective:

DEET (U.S.) and Picaridin (non-U.S.) are considered as being the primary “conventional repellents,” the latter of which is the active ingredient in the product “Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus.”

For those who don't want to use harsh chemicals, Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus has an “Expedition Formula,” which contains an alternative, “biopesticide,” IR3535 (naturally-derived), for those who don't want either DEET or Picaridin on their skin.

Think I will order both online, and give each a try, to see which I prefer.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 02:26:38 pm by JKoerner007 »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up