Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Using cut roll paper in Epson 3880

<< < (4/4)

BobShaw:
I don't store prints except in frames on the wall. One advantage of having your own printer is that you print as required. If you really must store them then get a set of A0 or similar plan drawers.

stockjock:

--- Quote from: BobShaw on May 31, 2017, 07:08:59 pm ---I don't store prints except in frames on the wall. One advantage of having your own printer is that you print as required. If you really must store them then get a set of A0 or similar plan drawers.

--- End quote ---

I have to say that I really disagree with that attitude.  I get a lot of pleasure from actually printing my photographs and looking at the finished product.  I use 6' long menu/check racks to temporarily display them on my walls and I swap out the older photos with newer ones as I print them.  I have hundreds of prints stored in archival 13x19 and 17x22" boxes.  The boxes permit you to store prints safely and archivally for long periods of time.  From time to time I'll bring out a box of prints and look through them myself or share them with friends.  I find everything about the print to be more satisfying than simply looking at an image on the screen.  I do have one wall with a 3x4 grid of 17x22 photos mounted on gator but in general I'm not interested in living with just a handful of my images long term.  From time to time I'll take my best images and assemble them into a book I print using Blurb but I've found those books aren't especially satisfying compared to the prints themselves.  Everybody is different of course but the idea of only printing what you are going to frame sits badly with me.  One of the things I have always loved about the Luminous Landscape site has been the attention they have given to prints, printing, and photo books.

BobShaw:

--- Quote from: stockjock on June 01, 2017, 02:28:57 am ---I have to say that I really disagree with that attitude.  I get a lot of pleasure from actually printing my photographs and looking at the finished product.

--- End quote ---
Not disagreeing. So do I. That is why I print them and professionally frame them so they go on permanent display. We are talking about large prints here, over 30". I also put prints in display folders. For customers however they are always done on demand if they are not buying off the wall. I want to present them in the best possible way.

stockjock:

--- Quote from: BobShaw on June 01, 2017, 07:12:41 am ---Not disagreeing. So do I. That is why I print them and professionally frame them so they go on permanent display. We are talking about large prints here, over 30". I also put prints in display folders. For customers however they are always done on demand if they are not buying off the wall. I want to present them in the best possible way.

--- End quote ---

Yes, for large prints I agree with you completely.  Printing as needed and displaying framed is really the only way to go. I misunderstood your intention/usage. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version