Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Blue Yonder  (Read 1651 times)

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
Big Blue Yonder
« on: June 03, 2017, 05:07:51 am »

A lone yacht on an empty sea.

Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Big Blue Yonder
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 07:53:08 am »

Love image, nice texture.  I took the liberty to crop the image, hope you don't mind.  This begs for a long narrow Horz crop.  This lets the textures of the water add a feel.  The sky was too heavy.  I also darken the exposure and increased contrast to add drama.  Just my two cents.  I would also hit the high end of the curves and lift it to pop the sailboat.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 08:18:00 am »

It's a fine shot, Paul. I don't agree with Kevin's crop though. Or the darkening, I should add.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:07:54 am by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 08:57:43 am »

Beautiful image
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Larry Heath

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 09:29:15 am »

I do like the image as is. But I am also quite afflicted with twittleosis, so on the one hand I like the idea of the horizontal crop, but on the other hand I really think the horizon line should be retained. The horizon line and a bit of sky I think really lends to the impression of vastness as much as the horizontal crop. So take some at the top leaving the horizon line and take some at the bottom to get the horizontal crop and balance the image. Maybe pull a gradient from the top and darken it a bit.

Later Larry

graeme

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 10:19:02 am »

It's a fine shot, Paul. I don't agree with Kevin's crop though. Or the darkening, I should add.

+1.

Leave it as it is & print it big.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 02:29:08 pm »

+1.

Leave it as it is & print it big.
+2.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 09:33:18 am »

Leaving it as is makes for a "one-look wonder". It needs something more, some mood perhaps. It could also use some shape, as the photograph is very flat.

The darkening I agree with, but not the severe crop. I see Kevin's point in making it less "obvious" or "direct", but without the horizon, it would appear more like a photographic mistake or oversight. A 16:9 would work provided the horizon is still there.

Adding a graduated mask to the "foreground" and background seems to help. But, as it is, it just doesn't do it for me. All these "additions" seem likely to make a 6 into an 7 when, perhaps, you're looking for an 8 or 9.

In the samples below, done in LR, the first is with grad masks only and a an adjustment bush along the "background" water. The second is the same. lightened by 0.5 in Exposure.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

BobDavid

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 11:05:13 am »

A lone yacht on an empty sea.

Nice photo. Leave it alone. It's fine.

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 11:23:37 am »

Leaving it as is makes for a "one-look wonder". It needs something more, some mood perhaps. It could also use some shape, as the photograph is very flat.

The darkening I agree with, but not the severe crop. I see Kevin's point in making it less "obvious" or "direct", but without the horizon, it would appear more like a photographic mistake or oversight. A 16:9 would work provided the horizon is still there.

Adding a graduated mask to the "foreground" and background seems to help. But, as it is, it just doesn't do it for me. All these "additions" seem likely to make a 6 into an 7 when, perhaps, you're looking for an 8 or 9.

In the samples below, done in LR, the first is with grad masks only and a an adjustment bush along the "background" water. The second is the same. lightened by 0.5 in Exposure.

Thanks for the comments and edits, I do like the top edit you made, it does add a bit more depth to the composition and the 16 x 9 format works well.
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6
Pages: [1]   Go Up