Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

High resolution, scaled focus dial for the Actus??

<< < (7/7)

Hening Bettermann:
Hi Bob
Thanks you for your comment. - So you don't believe in Jeffrey's solution with the micrometer dial for the focus? -  I wonder how much precision I need. As said, on my CY Zoom, I have applied a mm scale that translates 5 mm of focus travel to 8,5 mm on my scale. That's a factor of slightly under 2, not 10 as from 0.1 to 1.0 mm. This scale works fine for me. Otherwise, I would try mount a helicoid between the bellows and the camera. But it would interfere with short focal lengths.

BobDavid:

--- Quote from: Hening Bettermann on June 03, 2017, 05:33:02 pm ---Hi Bob
Thanks you for your comment. - So you don't believe in Jeffrey's solution with the micrometer dial for the focus? -  I wonder how much precision I need. As said, on my CY Zoom, I have applied a mm scale that translates 5 mm of focus travel to 8,5 mm on my scale. That's a factor of slightly under 2, not 10 as from 0.1 to 1.0 mm. This scale works fine for me. Otherwise, I would try mount a helicoid between the bellows and the camera. But it would interfere with short focal lengths.

--- End quote ---

You may need the wide angle bellows for wide lenses. Perhaps a call to Steve Hendrix at Capture Integration is due. If anyone will be able to help you find a solution, it's Steve. I'm not sure you'd need focus staking with a wide angle lens, as the tilt movement and a smallish aperture should be able to help you. It's also possible you may run into focus breathing issues with a wide angle lens, and that would not be good.

Doug Peterson:
Quick question: Have you compared to the Arca Swiss Universalis?

BobDavid:

--- Quote from: Doug Peterson on June 04, 2017, 10:40:07 am ---Quick question: Have you compared to the Arca Swiss Universalis?

--- End quote ---

No. I haven't used nor seen a Universalis.  I daresay comparing a Universalis to an Actus is comparing apples to oranges.  I read this in the blurb about the Universalis:

"1. Scheimpflug is More Important Than Ever

With higher resolution comes a higher level of scrutiny of the focus and detail. Especially for still life and product shooters, this means an uphill battle against depth of field. Judicious use of tilt and swing can make the difference between the entire subject being in focus in a single shot, and having to resort to time consuming and error-prone techniques like focus stacking."

I think the OP is looking for a less expensive option than the Arca Swiss Universalis. However, if he requires a tool that will pay for itself within a year or so, the Arca is a vastly superior product.

Hening Bettermann:
In case Doug Peterson's question was addressed to me (,too):

Yes I have compared to the Arca Universalis. The main reason I opt for the Actus is the Actars. They are light weighted and moderately priced compared to the Rodenstocks. I have no old MF lenses.
Your link has me discover the soon to be released focus rail sled. However, it sounds like it measures the distance to the object in the field rather than the rail distance.

Bob:
In my part of the woods, the price for the Universalis DSLR is 2.618  €,  for the Actus GFX 2.677 (OK, 1.738 for the Sony E version). NO camera will *pay* for me, I am an amateur. I would be interested to hear your thoughts why you find the Arca vastly superior.

Thanks for your comments to the both of you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version