Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad Pro 9.7 RAW  (Read 5415 times)

Lundberg02

iPad Pro 9.7 RAW
« on: May 03, 2017, 02:00:14 am »

This may be sacrilege so you might want to have children leave the room. I will soon receive an iPad Pro 9.7 with its 12 mp camera. It shoots RAW with the right app, and I will probably get an olloclip lens kit. Anyone here also surfing the wave of the future?  How good is the conversion?
I'm going to ask Iridient if he's going to do a version for iOS 10.

Lundberg02

Re: iPad Pro 9.7 RAW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 07:25:55 pm »

No one seems to care about this subject, but here's what Brian Griffith of Iridient had to say:

Hi Richard,

Never say, never, but very unlikely in the near term anyway. iOS is always a platform I am watching for potential new products, but at this time I feel even the iPad pros have some very serious limitations for RAW processing. Currently the processors themselves are likely up to the task, but internally memory is a bit lacking an it really has a lot more to do with access to fast, high capacity storage. Wifi just doesn't cut it for a good experience with RAW editing, If these systems had direct USB3 support for external drives and more flexible file system access I think they'd be much more suitable for RAW work.

It will also depend some on user interest levels and so far I just haven't seen a whole lot of interest for RAW on the iPad or iPhone even since Apple added RAW capture support with the latest models. For the near term Mac, Windows and Linux are my top priority platforms for new applications.

Best regards,
Brian Griffith
Iridient Digital

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 10:34:07 pm »

What about Lightroom Mobile???
Regards,
Ron

Lundberg02

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 01:46:47 am »

I have it, but I'm still getting used to the iPad and buying accessories, hAven't used the cameras yet.

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 03:19:17 pm »

I don't find WiFi to be an issue at all for iPad RAW processing. Memory, OTOH, is a bottleneck for anything beyond a basic processor app like PhotoRaw or the cut-down version of Lightroom Adobe offers.

-Dave-

Lundberg02

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 08:03:09 pm »

I have the 128GB version and am awaiting a 128GB SD card. Don't think I'll have memory issues.
I bought the IOGrapher Filmmaking case, because reviews said the Mela case was difficult to insert the iPad. To my surprise, after inserting the 9.7 iPad into the IOG, I couldn't get it out. I contacted them and they offered two videos showing removal. Neither one was the case I received. One was pink and contained a mini. The other was white and contained a regular iPad unspecified model. Both were made of a much more flexible plastic and the iPads came out easily. The black Filmmaker case is made of what is probably ABS and the holding tab takes two strong thumbs to hold it back enough to ostensibly release the iPad and let it fall out with the case held with the tab up. This does not happen. It is an interference fit and requires forcible prying on both sides. I tried numerous times to hold back the tab and pry with fingernail on one side and with a thin blade screwdriver. Two people might be able to do it without tools if they have strong thumbs and strong fingernails, but I finally had to use a vise grip on the tab and thin screwdriver on each side to pop it out. I was emailing IOGrapher  about all this, they were very concerned, and are sending a replacement, but I emphasized several times that I wanted a case that had been tested with a real iPad Pro 9.7. They haven't indicated that they want mine returned. We will see. Next purchase will be a 37mm thread telephoto. They are available in 2x, 2.2x, 3x, 4x, 10x, and 12x. The higher xs need a tripod but I have both small and large already. 2x and 3x don't seem enough, although the combo of 2x and the 3x zoom might be the equivalent of 6x rifle sights, not sure about it. Probably opt for the 4x, ranging in price from 6 bucks to 75. I can imagine the Coke bottle quality of the six dollar. A review of one of the 12x said there was blur on the edges.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:06:32 pm by Lundberg02 »

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 05:35:46 pm »

Just to note: by "memory" I meant RAM rather than storage. The current Pro 9.7" has 2 gigs of RAM while the 12.9" version has 4.

-Dave-

Lundberg02

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 08:45:56 pm »

Yeah that could be a problem. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to use a 128GB SD card with SD Card Camera Adapter to back up files instead of read in images.  Still can't find a decent 37mm thread telephoto. Just installed the iOS 10.3.2 update. My Iogear router is nearly dead it appears so I ordered an Airport Extreme Base Station. I'm going to have 1k bucks in this thing before Im through. Found a nice case with keyboard for 40 bucks, probably get that.

Lundberg02

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 12:46:32 am »

got the base station, solved the problem, trivially easy to setup. Apple does not allow you to access this router through its IP address though. Everything is done through Airport Utility. This means you can't see the channel bandwidth setting. The things you can see in AP utility are optimum so I'll just take it on faith the channels are.   Got this case  and keyboard thing. very nice. KB is Bluetooth not Smart, but so what. KB charges from any miniusb tablet charger.
Pages: [1]   Go Up