Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Love Those Cars!  (Read 16557 times)

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
Re: Love Those Cars!
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2018, 12:20:12 am »

Here's a favorite from a few years ago. Montreal GP.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Rob C

« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2018, 10:17:47 am »

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2018, 11:54:14 am »

First one is some cars parked in front of a hotel I stayed at in May this year, the rest are of the cheap and nasty one in the middle. ;D

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2018, 12:27:03 pm »

Posted elsewhere. Simca type 90 A from the 1950s.

James Clark

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2018, 12:56:05 pm »

First one is some cars parked in front of a hotel I stayed at in May this year, the rest are of the cheap and nasty one in the middle. ;D

Nice Bug!

This one's a little older than the one you captured :)

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2018, 01:14:29 pm »

Nice Bug!

This one's a little older than the one you captured :)
They were made for the race track
http://www.rosser.org.uk/content/_DSC0135_1_large.html

Neilmac50

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2018, 02:34:10 am »

From a car show here in Johannesburg over last weekend.

Rob C

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2018, 11:31:01 am »

From a car show here in Johannesburg over last weekend.

Looks very pretty, and I like the two-tone - even willing to accept the new wheels!

Do you have a shot from the front quarters?

Rob

Neilmac50

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2018, 02:16:29 am »

Just for you Rob.

Rob C

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2018, 02:57:46 am »

Just for you Rob.

Thank you!

I could imagine myself driving one of those, more so than the '59 Coupe de Ville which is my favourite, but which would make me feel a phoney as I couldn't ever have afforded it.

How strange the workings of that inner censor.

I often ask myself why, in the name of all that's cool, Chevrolet abandoned the bow-tie badge for a boring, characterless golden one; cheaper to produce, I suppose. Kinda goes with the rebadged Daewoos, though...

:-)

Rob

James Clark

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2018, 05:32:10 pm »

Some work for a client from this past weekend. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2018, 06:42:08 pm »

Nice, James.

James Clark

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2018, 07:43:57 pm »

Nice, James.
  Thanks - they're very happy with it!   Tricky shoot actually - I've never had to use fill flash on what's basically a mirror before.  This was bare-bulbed with two 600 EX flashes from about 30 feet away to give a little bit of definition to the nose of the lead car, and took 5 people - the two drivers in-car, one lighting the blue car, me, and the guy driving the car I was shooting out of, all of whom had to be up at 5 on a Sunday morning.  :D   
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:47:39 pm by James Clark »

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2018, 08:51:23 pm »

Thanks - they're very happy with it!   Tricky shoot actually - I've never had to use fill flash on what's basically a mirror before.  This was bare-bulbed with two 600 EX flashes from about 30 feet away to give a little bit of definition to the nose of the lead car, and took 5 people - the two drivers in-car, one lighting the blue car, me, and the guy driving the car I was shooting out of, all of whom had to be up at 5 on a Sunday morning.  :D

Where was the light?

James Clark

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2018, 09:03:52 pm »

Where was the light?

Right next to me.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2018, 09:46:02 pm »

Right next to me.

I thought that’s where it had to be, but I’m surprised not to see hot spots from the bare bulbs. Removed in post?

James Clark

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2018, 09:55:16 pm »

I thought that’s where it had to be, but I’m surprised not to see hot spots from the bare bulbs. Removed in post?

Good call :)  There was really only one to remove.  It was just left of center on the nose and you can see a slight change in coloration there in the compressed version I posted, now that you know where to look. 

Rob C

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2018, 08:06:46 am »

When the British magazine Car came out, it did beautiful photography of cars. Of course, this was way prior to digital and in fiscally more healthy times.

I eventually bought a book of its collected pictures that I have to this day. Later issues seemed to have been hit by both money, as in lack of, and less real imagination. That's going back some years too, as I stopped buying or looking for it.

Part of the problem, visually, is the birth of the upturned bathtub design paradigm that I first noticed with the Ford Sierra (what was called that in the UK) that took design into high anodyne.

My current Fiesta, tiny car, scares me every time I am forced into a situation where I have to reverse it anywhere. I see no corners. Function and design relationships?

My son temporarily owned a VW Golf and found exactly the same problem. I remember large cars from up to the late 70s that presented no such problems, because their outer limits were visible; one knew exactly where one was, so to speak.

Car design used to be my favourite version of contemporary sculpture with the added bonus of practical value thrown in for free!

James Clark

« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2018, 11:33:11 am »

When the British magazine Car came out, it did beautiful photography of cars. Of course, this was way prior to digital and in fiscally more healthy times.

I eventually bought a book of its collected pictures that I have to this day. Later issues seemed to have been hit by both money, as in lack of, and less real imagination. That's going back some years too, as I stopped buying or looking for it.

Part of the problem, visually, is the birth of the upturned bathtub design paradigm that I first noticed with the Ford Sierra (what was called that in the UK) that took design into high anodyne.

My current Fiesta, tiny car, scares me every time I am forced into a situation where I have to reverse it anywhere. I see no corners. Function and design relationships?

My son temporarily owned a VW Golf and found exactly the same problem. I remember large cars from up to the late 70s that presented no such problems, because their outer limits were visible; one knew exactly where one was, so to speak.

Car design used to be my favourite version of contemporary sculpture with the added bonus of practical value thrown in for free!

Hi Rob!

Car absolutely did have some wonderful imagery, and even if you don't find it as good as it used to be, I think the UK pubs in general still blow our stuff on tis side of the pond into the weeds.  I'd say Evo is the current gold standard, and has been for awhile.  Their content is genuinely tuned to the true enthusiast, and their imagery, though it adheres to a pretty strict style, is dynamic and really shows a love for the subject, and their subscriber covers are usually strikingly simple, which I like.   Road and Track over here did a rework a few years back, and I think it was pretty successful.  The rest of what we have seems to lack depth.

As for car design itself, so much of it is driven by science and efficiency as opposed to art these days, so there's a commonality in the design language that you certainly didn't see when style was king in the pre-war era up through the "jet age."  There are still some standouts - among others, the recently-discontinued Aston Martin Vantage/DB9 run will remain beautiful for a long  time, even if the successors that came out this year and last are obnoxious, and Porsche's 911 and baby brother Cayman still adhere to a simple, classic look.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:52:54 am by James Clark »

Rob C

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2018, 01:12:09 pm »

If Keith is reading this, he will be sure to agree with your last line, at the very least!

:-)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up