Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Settings - Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta - Epson SC800  (Read 4637 times)

pearlstreet

Media Settings - Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta - Epson SC800
« on: April 18, 2017, 11:38:24 am »

I am confused over media settings for the Hahnemuhle PR Baryta and the Epson SC800. The profile from Hahnemuhle says to choose Epson Premium Luster which isn't offered in my settings. What settings do I use for this paper? I'm on a windows 10 machine

The luster setting that I have chooses sheet but wondering if this thick paper will feed that way.

pearlstreet

Re: Media Settings - Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta - Epson SC800
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 11:55:42 am »

It seems to work with ultra premium luster setting and front feed. If you have better settings let me know. :-)

I love this paper, btw. Very much like printing on epson exhibition fiber without the oba's. Epson, you should have made this.

MHMG

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 12:59:38 pm »

It seems to work with ultra premium luster setting and front feed. If you have better settings let me know. :-)

I love this paper, btw. Very much like printing on epson exhibition fiber without the oba's. Epson, you should have made this.

Ultra Premium Luster and Premium luster paper are essentially the same paper. On your P800, the ultra premium luster setting is indeed the right choice for printing on HN Photo Rag baryta.  Epson confused longtime Premium Luster users a few years ago by adding the "ultra" description on a new cut sheet package design and then marketing it to desktop printer users as being a thicker, therefore "Ultra" premium cut sheet paper. However, AFAIK, the coating is exactly the same, but you will find different Epson printer models variously calling luster media setting one name or the other.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

pearlstreet

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 01:04:31 pm »

Thank you, Mark. whew.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 03:06:53 pm »

They pretty much have - it's called "Legacy Platine".
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 03:12:36 pm »

As for the optimal Media Type to use for the Hahn paper, for my custom profile I found Legacy Baryta worked best. Please see Figure 1 of this article for details on profiling and settings for that paper: Specialty Papers

pearlstreet

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 03:33:44 pm »

Can I use legacy baryta with the hahnemuhle profile? I don't have a profiler to make my own.

Thanks!

Sharon

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 03:37:05 pm »

Can I use legacy baryta with the hahnemuhle profile? I don't have a profiler to make my own.

Thanks!

Sharon

Normally one should use the Media Type that the supplier of the profile used for making the profile. But in principle you CAN use any Media Type with any profile. Whether the results look OK may be another matter. It should only cost you a sheet or two of paper printing a test image with very familiar colours and grayscales to find out.

pearlstreet

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 03:39:32 pm »

Thanks! I'll get a profile made for future use.

Sharon
Pages: [1]   Go Up