Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 lost 2 color channels  (Read 2033 times)

andre_m

• andré muehling
Epson 4900 lost 2 color channels
« on: April 25, 2017, 04:54:35 am »

Hello

Looking at the nozzle check pattern I totally lost the PK/MK and the VLM (Vivid light Magenta) channels. The same day I had to change the Maintenance Box. Is there a correlation?

I know the X900 printers are different, but until now I was more or less happy with the printer. Clogging problems mostly were solved after usual cleaning procedures.

(Epson Stylus Pro 4900, 5 years old)

Does someone have an idea?

Thank you!

André

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
andremuehling.de

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson 4900 lost 2 color channels
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 07:05:05 am »

It isn't possible to answer anything based on the information provided. One needs to know a lot about your usage pattern over the past six months or so, the environmental conditions in which the printer os being operated, the frequency and regularity of use per week, the age of the inks and the EXACT measures you have taken to declog those nozzles that remained clogged. Once all that is known one may begin to suggest possibilities.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

andre_m

• andré muehling
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 08:18:21 am »

Hello Mark

thank you for helping to analyze.

Mostly I made ABW or converted BW prints 17'/17' in a room who today has 53% humidity. I use the printer also as an office printer (frequently using). Never had any clogging problems with black. Sometimes VMagenta and Yellow were not perfect but easily solved using 'Clean Print Heads'. The ink isn't old (MK ink EXP 09.2017, PK EXP 07.2016 and VLM EXP 11.2016).

I tried the Manual Clean two times (one time individual ink MK and one time all colors) Have to buy a LK ink today.

The pattern doesn't show any signs at PK and VLM. Its poor paper white.

Thank You

André

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
andremuehling.de
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:20:10 am by andre_m »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 12:59:16 pm »

If you mean that there is a complete drop-out of PK and VLM, this means there could be an air blockage affecting those two channels, or something larger than usual causing an ink clog. As you have already tried the normal cleaning procedure twice and did not resolve it, you will need to resolve to "Clean>Powerful" but do it only for the nozzle pairs having those two inks, not all the colours (wastes a lot). After each "Powerful" clean, run a print through the printer that exercises those channels and the other channels in the pairs. You can go to the website of Marrutt USA, Epson 4900 maintenance, and download their colour files for doing this. It is important to run the prints between Powerful clean cycles. So your sequence of actions will be: Powerful clean, run a nozzle check to see whether they are unclogged yet, if not, run a print with the colour pairs concerned, then do another Powerful clean. Then a nozzle check, etc. Run through this procedure of clean-check-print up to three times in one day - no more. If after three replications of this cycle the nozzles are still clogged, shut the machine overnight, then go back to it the next day and retry the same cycle. If after another three replications the next day you are still having a problem, call for a qualified technician. DO NOT use stuff like Windex or Simple Green or any ammonia-based solvent on the printhead - this can destroy it. There are people on this Forum who disagree with this warning, but I have this advice from very senior, responsible people within Epson.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up