Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice: Trouble with 9900/9890 Paper cutting issue.  (Read 1785 times)

disneytoy

Advice: Trouble with 9900/9890 Paper cutting issue.
« on: March 31, 2017, 02:24:40 pm »

Hello!

I've had an issue Printing thick paper like 44" Baryta and watercolor.

So etimes, it will not complete the cut. Leaving it drooling out if the printer.

What should be done with this? It can't be rewound into the roll.

I ended up cutting it with a scissors. But leaving a terrible edge.

Second issue. After that, I reloaded the paper but it did its measuring, but left about 18" hanging out.

I tried another print, thinking it would rewind and print my regular 2" border, but it just printed from there wasting all that extra paper.

Any thoughts

Thanks

Max

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Advice: Trouble with 9900/9890 Paper cutting issue.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 11:53:09 pm »

Same issue with the p9000 and thick media, the cutter struggles.  If you get a little tension on the paper by gently pulling both sides straight down before the cutter starts it usually cuts much better. Tough to do because you have to be right by the printer when it finishes printing and grab the paper right after it spools out but before the cutter starts across.

I've also tested setting the printer to roll paper/cut, but then turning off cutting in the driver when making the print.  Sometimes after printing it just sits there, and when you press the cut button on the printer it advances the paper appropriately and cuts, and pulls it back in.  The advantage is you can wait to cut until you be at the printer ready to give it that little bit of extra tension that helps it cut.  But I haven't been able to consistently reproduce this behavior yet, not sure what I do different when it works and when it doesn't.

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 01:14:20 pm »

I have experienced the same with the P9000 and thicker papers.  Takes some quick movement after you press the cut button to get down there an give a bit of tension.  I have had pretty good luck with just manual cutting but prefer the cutter as it is much better in cutting straight than I am. :(

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 07:34:52 pm »

I thought I mentioned some testing I've done on this issue.  As mentioned in the thread, the best way to get the p9000 to cut Epson Legacy Baryta reliable is to grab both sides of the paper and pull gently straight down away from the printer before the printer sends the blade across.  The added tension will pretty much guarantee the cutter works well.

The challenge is being there when the print is finished, because the printer doesn't waste much time in advancing and cutting.

My current work around which seems to be reliable.  When loading the roll of paper in the printer, set the printer to roll paper/cut.  When printing the print, in the driver turn cutting off.

What then happens is when the printer is finished, it just stops.  If you then go to the printer at your convenience, you can easily hit the cut paper button, then the OK button and then grab the edges of the paper on both sides as it begins feeding down to the cutter.  Keep gentle tension on it while it cuts.  When it is finished cutting, it pulls the paper back into the printer and aligns it as though it was operating in the roll paper/cut mode.  No big wasted paper advance.

Edit:  OK, i've been doing this for three days and it's been working perfectly. Now tonight, the printer decided to spit 12" of paper out before it started printing.  No clue why it is inconsistent.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:43:45 pm by Wayne Fox »

disneytoy

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 04:58:45 pm »

Same 12-18" wasted paper here. I thought it had a sensor to detect the eading edge?

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 06:16:33 pm »

Same 12-18" wasted paper here. I thought it had a sensor to detect the eading edge?

This is embarrassing.  As I started to write this I suddenly realized I couldn't remember the exact reason this issue happens occasionally, but it is/was something I was familiar with on the 9900 as well.  I believe it had something to do with not having "Roll Paper Banner" selected in the driver, but not sure.  It has now been about 2 months since my 9900 was sold and I haven't had a printer since, but planning on a P7000 soon.  I cannot believe I have forgotten the actually fix for this issue so soon, but I guess that's what age does for one sometimes.  I know it will come back to me eventually, but likely not before someone else chimes in and proves me wrong.

OH YES, just thought of it, I believe.  I think it was actually not having "Roll Paper" selected on the printer control panel if I'm not mistaken, but there's no guarantee that I'm right this time either of course.  I am almost certain it was one of the above though :-[.  The strange thing is that this topic came up a few months ago and it was second nature for me to chime in with a fix, but being without a printer for a period of time has made a difference.  That's my story and I'm stickin' with it.

EDIT, AGAIN:  I was just looking for another thread and came across the one with this issue that I had responded to previously.  So now I have to confess that neither of the above are the correct fix for this problem.  It is indeed the "Paper Size Check" setting in the printer menu.  If that is turned off the printer will print the proper size, but cannot determine exactly where to cut apparently.  Sorry to keep you waiting, but now I'm sure that's the correct answer, as verified by the OP in the aforementioned thread  :D   

Gary   
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:45:41 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up