Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brutal Consent  (Read 2723 times)

James Clark

Brutal Consent
« on: April 07, 2017, 04:03:37 pm »

A little piece of London architecture that doesn't exactly mesh with the buildings around it.  London does wonderful modern, and the old buildings are beautiful, but brutalism just doesn't fit.   The sign was a happy coincidence.  Well, at least a coincidence :)

Telecaster

Re: Brutal Consent
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 04:49:19 pm »

Creepy, even Orwellian. Who/what occupies this ugliness?

-Dave-

James Clark

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 05:55:22 pm »

I bet someone else knows, but I'll be happy to explain if no one else can.  It's not nearly as ominous as I've made it look though.  This is a pretty good example of how an image taken out of context can imply a wholly different circumstance than reality, even though it's presented exactly as seen.  :)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 06:13:36 pm »

Well, it's definitely not "informed" consent.
Good seeing.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 01:09:43 am »

Good editorial on "brutalist" architecture. A lot of depressingly brutal buildings sprung up in the early 1970s.

John R

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 04:49:48 am »

This angle certainly makes the building look ominous and more like a jail. But in Toronto, I have seem some really nice brutalist examples, like the Robarts Library.

JR

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 06:20:48 am »

I have seem some really nice brutalist examples, like the Robarts Library.

You do know it's a mis-translation? Brut(e) means raw, unmodified. Champagne is either brut or sweetened, but never intentionally brutal :)

It did turn out to be a particularly apt mis-translation though.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 06:53:31 am »

A little piece of London architecture that doesn't exactly mesh with the buildings around it.  London does wonderful modern, and the old buildings are beautiful, but brutalism just doesn't fit.   The sign was a happy coincidence.  Well, at least a coincidence :)

But if this is what you wanted to depict, then surely a bit more context is needed in the picture, no?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 08:13:57 am »

Who/what occupies this ugliness?

It's the National Theatre. Its surfaces, inside and out, have what was regarded as an innovative use of wood planks to form natural textures in concrete....

See https://www.dezeen.com/2014/10/06/brutalist-buildings-national-theatre-london-denys-lasdun/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 08:21:26 am by john beardsworth »

James Clark

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 08:29:19 am »

It's the National Theatre. Its surfaces, inside and out, have what was regarded as an innovative use of wood planks to form natural textures in concrete....

See https://www.dezeen.com/2014/10/06/brutalist-buildings-national-theatre-london-denys-lasdun/

John, that's a fantastic article.  Thanks for digging it up!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 08:47:24 am »

Though I like it inside, James, I've always thought it was pretty ugly while appreciating the purity of the design. I have a couple of architect friends who visited from Italy and it was near the top of their list of places to see. Apparently it has all sorts of allusions to earlier concrete buildings like the Pantheon (see the roof in the interior photo), which is great if you're into concrete. He says, trying to keep a straight face.

James Clark

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 01:37:32 pm »

Though I like it inside, James, I've always thought it was pretty ugly while appreciating the purity of the design. I have a couple of architect friends who visited from Italy and it was near the top of their list of places to see. Apparently it has all sorts of allusions to earlier concrete buildings like the Pantheon (see the roof in the interior photo), which is great if you're into concrete. He says, trying to keep a straight face.

To be perfectly clear, from an architectural standpoint I can understand why it's a relevant structure, and I can also understand why people that appreciate those things would see great value in it.  I'll even concede that in my image I've intentionally made it more foreboding than it is in actuality.   My "criticisms" (inasmuch as they ARE criticisms, which strictly in the context of the building itself, they are not) are limited to the harmony (or lack thereof) between the building itself and the surrounding aesthetic (and indeed that of the Thames waterfront in general). 

I do quite  bit of work professionally (photographically as well as architecturally) with modern/contemporary design in the residential sphere, and one of the ongoing problems is the integration of forward-looking construction with the established neighborhoods.  Unfortunately, there are too many instances where an excellent designer fails to consider integration into the greater surroundings, and the result ends up being less than it could have been, with the side effect of making neighbors suspicious of modernist architecture in general.

But anyway, back to the original image - it is indeed the National Theatre, and the sign is showing the current performances.  Right now, they are "Consent" and another play called "Ugly Lies."   Both worked well with the compositions I was playing with in camera, and combine with the architecture to create a "message" that's somewhat ironic.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 02:08:14 pm »

I've never liked that style of building, and I think it dehumanises places. Visually, all it suggests to me is that somebody in charge of spending is trying to save a lot of money or has absolutely no sense of design at all, and is playing safe in the hope that future owners will find a way of slapping on the finishing touches. That anybody really finds a kind of beauty therein stretches my mind to explosion point. But hey, it's a small mind built for one. And absolutely without consulting me, as future owner of said mind. Though I expect that I have as much chance of getting my money back as has the guy who commissioned the building. (But then, as you know, when committees commission, you get transportation camels where you expected a racehorse.)

Wasn't similar stuff pulled down not long ago in either Birmingham of Manchester? I suppose they are insignifacant enough cities to feel entitled to admit mistakes...

;-)

Rob

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 02:51:24 pm »

I think Birmingham was more like redevelopment of the Bull Ring area, which was certainly ugly and concrete, but the obvious example of something like the National Theatre being demolished would be Northampton's bus station - known locally as the "mouth of hell". 

The National Theatre works well inside and for people walking by, even when the undercroft was occupied by skateboarders, it worked OK on a human level.

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 05:00:40 pm »

I have a psychologist friend who hates this South Bank stuff - understandable perhaps, she's a member of the Victorian Society. I love to mess with her head by saying I find it rather pretty.

Truth is I do admire a bit of brutalism.

Are we still talking buildings?

Just discoverd there's a book on Terence Donovan, Terence Donovan Fashion that's obviously going to cost me some money... it's the least I can do to repay ancient spiritual debts.

;-)

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 05:21:37 pm »

But anyway, back to the original image - it is indeed the National Theatre, and the sign is showing the current performances.  Right now, they are "Consent" and another play called "Ugly Lies."  Both worked well with the compositions I was playing with in camera, and combine with the architecture to create a "message" that's somewhat ironic.

Hah, got me! I've walked past that area…shoulda known. Most definitely not a fan of Brut-alism. Or of Brut aftershave.  ;D

-Dave-

AnthonyM

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 02:07:41 pm »

The National Theatre has been compared, architecturally, to a multi-storey car park.

Fortunately, the three theatres inside are superb venues. 

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 09:53:06 am »

I love to mess with her head by saying I find it rather pretty.

Oh yes... I deeply offended an architect friend by saying I rather liked a lot of the Soviet-era architecture in the previously East Berlin. With the important caveat that I wouldn't want to live in it, but mainly due to the reputation of Soviet-era heating.
Pages: [1]   Go Up