Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing my very old Polaroid SS4000 scanner  (Read 2004 times)

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
Replacing my very old Polaroid SS4000 scanner
« on: March 26, 2017, 03:20:04 pm »

Hi,

I have the feeling my old and reliable Polaroid SprintScan 4000 is perhaps saying goodbye in the next weeks. It is starting to fail ...

I would like to ask how good are the Plustek or Pacific Image scanners.

I have looked into the B&H page and see there the following models

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883631-REG/Plustek_783064365338_OpticFilm_8200i_Ai_Film.HTML

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1007388-REG/pacific_image_primefilm_xa_prime_film_xa_scanner.html

I have been working with Silverfast since I started to scan my slides 20 years ago.

What is the opinion about these scanners ? and the Price is no problem. That is more or less what I wanted to invest up to US $ 700.00 for a scanner ...

Thanks for your comments

Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Replacing my very old Polaroid SS4000 scanner
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 04:13:59 pm »

You can read my review of the Plustek 7600i on this website. The 8200i is pretty similar, but I have not tested one. Nor have I tested any of the Pacific Image products.

You may also want to check used equipment sites to see whether you can buy a used Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 or 5400ii - they could be available in your price range and they are very high quality scanners. The used Nikon scanners are scarce and extremely expensive.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 04:29:04 pm »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comments.My main problema is I live in Mexico and mostly we have nothing here :-(

Will take a look at the used corner of B&H

I am here for

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 04:32:15 pm »

You may also want to take a look at eBay. Any reliable source that provides safe shipping to Mexico would be worthwhile checking. But I should add with used scanners it's important to find out what kind of usage they've had, what condition they are in and whether the seller will take it back if it's not working properly when it gets to you.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 05:33:38 pm »

You may also want to take a look at eBay. Any reliable source that provides safe shipping to Mexico would be worthwhile checking. But I should add with used scanners it's important to find out what kind of usage they've had, what condition they are in and whether the seller will take it back if it's not working properly when it gets to you.

Yes, and there is the risk. I better get a Brand new one from B&H. Never had any problem with them.

Importing to Mexico costs and Eye and an Apple and if I get something used and it does not work then I am fried as exporting it again is more complicated then importing ...

Now just have to find out the diffeerence of Plustek and Pacific ...

I think I will go with the Plustek 8200I as it comes bundled with Silverfast AI Studio software. I just schecked and the software goes fo US 299.00 ...

thanks again and regards
 I am here for

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 01:16:16 am »

Importing to Mexico costs and Eye and an Apple and if I get something used and it does not work then I am fried as exporting it again is more complicated then importing ...

Consider yourself luck...
Look how much is for B&H to send a $99.0 lens to Rio de Janeiro...  :o
(Brazil minimum wage is +- $300 per month.)

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 02:12:29 pm »

Hi,

Yesterday Friday April 7 I did get my new 35mm Film scanner. It is a Plustek OpticFilm 8200i Ai.

All afternoon I have played around with it using Lasersoft Silverfast software v8.8 lates update. So far scans look good and the same as my scans from my Old and Dying Polaroid SS4000.

One positive fact is the easy calibration of the scanner with the included IT8 target. Never made a profile that fast. Not even with i1Profiler from X-Rite :-).

First surprise is that the scanner is 3600dpi optical and not as advertised 7200dpi. I took a look at one of the tutorial videos of Solverfast in regard to the size of the scan and the guy says there about the dlider when it is in the Green area it is the optical resolution and when the slider goes into yellow and read it is interpolated resolution. Well that means the new scanner has 10% less optical resolution as my old Polaroid SS4000. OK, that is not a big issue at all.

What is  really annoying is that stupid maual feeding of the slides or negative film into the scanner. The first obstacle is the pressure you need to apply in order to get the slide holder into the scanner. It is so high that even with a weight of nearly 1.6kg the scanner moves from its place, so the only way to avoid it is to hold the scanner with one hand while introducing the holder with the other. I will try putting some of my old lead weigths from the time I was scuba diving :-)

The next annoying issue is the positioning of the slide or film holder is wau off from where it should be. Look at the firstimage. The only way to get a goof full scan of the slide or negative film is by Trial & Error after a few scans and delicate adjustments to the slide holder.

This makes me wonder, why on a cheaper scanner Plustek has an automatic feeding and in this exensive on they can not implement that.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1191681-REG/plustek_783064366878_opticfilm_135_35mm_slide.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883631-REG/Plustek_783064365338_OpticFilm_8200i_Ai_Film.html

OK, all in all as I do not need to scan thousands and thousands of my old slides and negative film as I already did it a few years ago in order to have them as thumbnails for choosing what I want to scan for printing I can live with this nit PITA's :-)
 I am here for
Pages: [1]   Go Up