Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PROFOTO RGB  (Read 4602 times)

NAVIN1506

PROFOTO RGB
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:08:07 am »

I use canon 5dsr...it has choice for choosing color space as adobe rgb and srgb only ... which one should i select as default?
I read few articles suggesting to use prophotosrgb as working color space in light room and photoshop..i am confused here..if we capture original image in srgb ad the working color space is prophoto rgb is it a good practice?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: PROFOTO RGB
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 12:12:30 am »

As long as you shoot RAW, it doesn't matter. The choices the camera gives you matter only if you shoot jpegs (and for back screen previews).

aaron125

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 12:16:29 am »

Those settings have no effect whatever on raw images and therefore do not affect your image in any way. It's actually for when taking JPEG or TIFF images as a raw image can't even have a colourspace/working space/any profile associated with it until the file is opened on your pc - or more accurately, when the file is saved.

So regardless of which setting you choose on your camera, if you're taking photos in a raw file format, the ICC profile is only associated or attached to the image when you go to save it.

Hope that helps mate. And wasn't too confusing. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaron125

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 12:26:10 am »

Oh yeah, and with a camera like yours you should definitely be selecting ProPhotoRGB or ProStarRGB (I think that's what it's called - used for when your screen is calibrated and profiled with L* settings rather than a specific number for the gamma setting) and 16bit when working on the file in your image manipulation program. Whether it be Lr, Ps, CaptureOne Pro or whatever app you use. Of course, there are other profiles which are even better suited, such as the myriad DCam variations and other magic Joseph Holmes has created but I'll leave that for another day. But they are - as too is Joseph - absolutely marvellous!

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 01:45:12 am »

I use canon 5dsr...it has choice for choosing color space as adobe rgb and srgb only ... which one should i select as default?
I read few articles suggesting to use prophotosrgb as working color space in light room and photoshop..i am confused here..if we capture original image in srgb ad the working color space is prophoto rgb is it a good practice?

I strongly suggest that you take notice of what Slobodan said - and that you take the following two posts with a pinch of salt.

It's "ProPhoto" by the way, known previously as Kodak ROMM.
best regards,

Ted

aaron125

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 02:30:19 am »

Why a pinch of salt? Do you not agree that Joseph Holmes' DCam and other similar profiles are works of genius? As is most everything he outputs. But just out of curiosity, why do you suggest my posts are essentially to be ignored? Please let me know where I've misinformed Navin or where I'm giving invalid advice. I'm not having a go at you. Honestly, I'd like to know so that if I am talking crap or giving bad advice, I don't do it again in future and also my (according to you - mis) understanding of the subject is corrected for my own benefit and also for those of whom I try to help on this subject at some later date. I've re-read my posts and still can't figure out why or which part(s) are to be ignored (taken with a pinch of salt, in your words).

Thanks in advance if I have given invalid advice, and for enlightening me as to where I've misinformed and where I have misunderstood the thread topic.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 03:32:59 pm »

As Slobodan said, if you are saving the files in raw, it doesn't matter. However it may affect the histogram and therefore the accuracy of the exposure.
From memory, I think my 5DII histogram gave a more accurate warning of highlight clipping when set to srgb and a more accurate shadow exposure set to Adobe rgb. You'd need to do your own testing.
David

Dave Ellis

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 11:24:02 pm »

The answers so far have covered raw shooting. If you are shooting jpeg, then using the Adobe RGB colour space (rather than sRGB) in camera and in PS will potentially give you an image with a wider colour gamut and one that you can possibly push a bit harder with tonal distributions when editing. However unless you have a wide gamut monitor, you wont see the benefit. If you do process in Adobe RGB, you should remember to change to sRGB colour space on an exported jpeg you wish to share on the web as some web browsers and other viewing software aren't properly colour managed and some viewers may see false colours if you retain the Adobe RGB colour space.

I can see little point in editing jpegs in PS in ProPhot RGB. If you edit them in LR or ACR, I believe they will be edited in a linear version of ProPhoto RGB but this will be seemless and you have no choice with this.

Dave

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 11:30:01 am »

Why a pinch of salt? Do you not agree that Joseph Holmes' DCam and other similar profiles are works of genius? As is most everything he outputs. But just out of curiosity, why do you suggest my posts are essentially to be ignored? Please let me know where I've misinformed Navin or where I'm giving invalid advice. I'm not having a go at you. Honestly, I'd like to know so that if I am talking crap or giving bad advice, I don't do it again in future and also my (according to you - mis) understanding of the subject is corrected for my own benefit and also for those of whom I try to help on this subject at some later date. I've re-read my posts and still can't figure out why or which part(s) are to be ignored (taken with a pinch of salt, in your words).

Thanks in advance if I have given invalid advice, and for enlightening me as to where I've misinformed and where I have misunderstood the thread topic.

Not that I have any issues with your advice in general, but steering a user who obviously is entirely new and isn't even aware that the profile setting of a camera has no affect on a raw file to the advanced color management techniques of Joseph Holmes is probably not the best advice based on their knowledge and experience level.

aaron125

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 12:19:04 pm »

Thanks Wayne, point taken.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 01:16:54 pm »

Not that I have any issues with your advice in general, but steering a user who obviously is entirely new and isn't even aware that the profile setting of a camera has no affect on a raw file to the advanced color management techniques of Joseph Holmes is probably not the best advice based on their knowledge and experience level.

I didn't want to pile on Aaron, but some years ago I made this parallel in a similar thread: "A guy stops to ask for directions to the nearest gas station, and you guys engage in a post-doctoral dissertation on the properties of space-rocket fuel!?" :)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:44:42 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

aaron125

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 01:17:33 pm »

Lol

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 01:56:50 am »

I didn't want to pile on Aaron, but some years ago I made this parallel in a similar thread: "A guy stops to asks for directions to the nearest gas station, and you guys engage in a post-doctoral dissertation on the properties of space-rocket fuel!?" :)

Well, that apply to at least half the threads in LuLa

hugowolf

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 08:35:51 pm »

I didn't want to pile on Aaron, but some years ago I made this parallel in a similar thread: "A guy stops to ask for directions to the nearest gas station, and you guys engage in a post-doctoral dissertation on the properties of space-rocket fuel!?" :)

Except space rocket fuel composition is not very difficult.

Brian A

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 04:09:10 pm »

But wait..

You mean we're NOT going to talk about Nyquist frequencies right now?

Aww..  :( :'(
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!
Pages: [1]   Go Up