Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX 50S -real world experience  (Read 35827 times)

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
Fuji GFX 50S -real world experience
« on: March 02, 2017, 11:56:02 am »

Initial thoughts on the GFX50S –

I wanted to start a thread on user experience with the GFX50S now that they are starting to ship.  Since I’m heading to Japan in 2 days for a couple of weeks I don’t have time to process images.  So, this is likely not much help to people but it’s a start.

First some perspective that may be helpful.  I currently shoot with the XF100 and the Nikon 810 as my backup camera.  I shoot primarily seascapes and landscapes.  I have never owned a Fuji camera so no experience with their menu system.  My reason for buying the GFX50S is to use it as my primary camera when weight is an issue or if I’m limited to one camera and need a smaller pack.  I realize that much of my comparison is based on my experience with my Phase One which has an exceptional user interface that’s very intuitive.

Yesterday I received my shipment that included 3 lenses – the 63/2.8, the 32-64/4 and the 120/4.  I also received the EVF tilting adapter.

These are my initial random observations based on only trying to make sure everything worked properly before I left for my trip.

-   Everything worked right out of the box which is always helpful :)
-   The weight was what I expected and certainly meets my expectations.
-   Setup of the menu was fairly straight forward and on only took a few minutes.  Raw was available but why large JPEG and sRGB is the default setting makes no sense to me.  Does Fuji really believe that people who buy these cameras don’t shoot raw!  I thought there were a few things in the operation that weren’t intuitive but a Fuji user should have no problem.
-   Only 1 battery is included which seems ridiculous to me.  Additional batteries are not available yet which makes the camera pretty useless for me at this time.
-   The quality of the camera seemed adequate but didn’t impress me.  It’s not an attractive design but certainly has a utilitarian feel/look to it.  In my hand, I thought the balance was only OK.  I know this is very personal but when I hold a camera with one hand at my side I like the hold to feel secure. Not so here.
-   The lenses quality matched the body quality.  Auto focus seemed very responsive and quiet and it’s very easy to change focus points.  The lens shades are a bit flimsy in my mind.
-   The EVF was very responsive and provided adequate resolution.  I don’t have a lot of experience with EVFs so it’s hard for me to compare.  It works for me.
-   The rear display is nice and do like the ability to tilt it.  The resolution is excellent and it’s easy to evaluate the sharpness of images.  Very simple to zoom to 100% and then move the image around to evaluate sharpness.
-   For what it’s worth, the JPEGs on the display seem to very accurately render the colors of the image.
-   Perhaps I haven’t figured it out yet but I believe I need a cable release for long exposures.  Aperture priority is limited to 30 seconds so I need to use bulb for longer exposures.  I don’t understand why camera manufactures don’t allow you to increase shutter time to 60 minutes in the manual mode.  My XF100 allows you to do that.

Bottom line.  Good first impression, and assuming the images quality is there, I believe this will be a very strong competitor in the market.  It should represent good value on a relative basis.  Hopefully, this will start a thread of real world experiences.

Rdmax

Re: Fuji GFX 50S -real world experience
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 02:11:37 pm »

Hi there,
Thanks for sharing. If I may ask what made you go for the Fujifilm and not Hasselblad X1D, if weight was a concern?

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 02:26:08 pm »

I felt like it would be a more robust system and that Fuji would make a commitment to continue to improve it.  I have to admit I did not like the way Hasselblad handled the communication of the X1D launch.  I also felt that Fuji was a more stable company.  Very subjective at the end of the day.

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 03:23:36 pm »

I previously stated the - following

-   Perhaps I haven’t figured it out yet but I believe I need a cable release for long exposures.  Aperture priority is limited to 30 seconds so I need to use bulb for longer exposures.  I don’t understand why camera manufactures don’t allow you to increase shutter time to 60 minutes in the manual mode.  My XF100 allows you to do that.

I was wrong, you can do it by very simply setting the shutter speed dial to T and sensitivity dial to the C.  This activates the control of the command dials to set aperture and shutter.  Easy enough!

bbrantley

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 03:41:54 pm »

Thanks, Cam.  Could you comment on the speed/latency of the live view zoom/scroll, perhaps in comparison to the IQ100 back? 

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 05:03:25 pm »

No comparison!  The display has better resolution and is very quick and easy to set focus.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 01:15:28 am »

No comparison!  The display has better resolution and is very quick and easy to set focus.

Which one is better?

Cheers,
Bernard

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 02:59:13 am »

I would really hope the GFX as the IQ screen has been around for a while. ;)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 08:42:24 am »

Sorry - the Fuji vastly superior.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 08:51:28 am »

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rdmax

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 11:47:34 am »

The one thing about the Fuji that concerns me is the sync speed with strobes :/

algrove

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 12:04:22 pm »

Cam
Thanks for your input. Mine is with UPS as we speak.  I was new to Fuji a few months ago and bought the XT2 book for quick reference. It offers very good points and real world insight for setup and he explains why he changes various settings. Since I understand the GFX menu is similar to that of the XT2 menu, I would start out with my XT2 settings on the GFX and see how they influence exposures, focus,etc. Some GFX hints come out through Fujirmors I notice from time to time.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:26:24 pm by algrove »

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 02:27:55 pm »

The one thing about the Fuji that concerns me is the sync speed with strobes :/

That is slow, but you can still solve it two ways: 1) use HSS like a Nikon or Canon user; 2) use the H adapter with a HC lens, which will support the leaf shutter and flash sync up to 1/800th (but without AF).
Instagram (updated often)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 07:02:47 pm »

The Fuji EX-500 supports HSS and works great with the X-T2.  I know that the GFX supports the EX-500, not sure if GFX 500 supports HSS but not sure why it would not.  I know that Fuji made a point of holding the EX-500 for months to make sure it would work with the GFX, (at least one reason for the delay).

I have used the EX-500 with the X-T2 with HSS and shutter speeds of 1/500 and 1/1000 and it works very well.  No blackout and good light.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

cyron123

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 02:22:15 pm »

Which one is better?

Cheers,
Bernard

I have a IQ150 and the LCD is not as good as the GFX. The Fuji LCD is ways sharper than the P1. I don't know if the IQ3Xx has a better LCD.

I think focus control of my IQ is not always easy. But no problem with gfx one.

bbrantley

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 03:30:58 pm »

This comparison matches my experience with IQ3-100 versus X1D.  The X1D version of the sensor just seems to have a way faster readout, where the 100mp Phase implementation has a lag when zooming.  It kind of looks like it is "gaining up" to the correct readout amplification over the course of a few frames or something.

Subtle, but those little delays add up and make a zoom-heavy workflow like mine really tedious.

It would be interesting to know if the IQ350 is faster.  (Or, for that matter, if the H6D-100 is the same.)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 06:35:01 pm »

The image quality is there in spades, believe me.  I have had my GFX 50S for all of 48 hours, with just the 120mm F/4 Macro so far, and have been blown away by it. 

I agree build quality is 8/10, good but not exceptional, but the 120 Maco is superb the focusing accurate, the dynamic range superb, the high ISO perfomance even better.

What's not to like?

Looking forward to the zoom and tilting viewfinder due in a few days

First shots with the GFX 50s and 120mm Macro, Raw conversions using SilkyPix 8 

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 06:40:13 pm by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 07:10:09 pm »

This comparison matches my experience with IQ3-100 versus X1D.  The X1D version of the sensor just seems to have a way faster readout, where the 100mp Phase implementation has a lag when zooming.  It kind of looks like it is "gaining up" to the correct readout amplification over the course of a few frames or something.

Subtle, but those little delays add up and make a zoom-heavy workflow like mine really tedious.

It would be interesting to know if the IQ350 is faster.  (Or, for that matter, if the H6D-100 is the same.)

On the H6d-100c is takes less than 1 sec to enter live view and around 0.5 sec to zoom to 100% anywhere in the scene after a double tap on touch screen.

The quality of live view at 100% is higher than on the D810 and more than suitable to allow perfect focusing even in low levels of light.

Cheers,
Bernard

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 08:50:22 pm »

Quentin,
I agree with your assessment.  I shot a few images around the yard today and I was impressed with what I saw.  Using the 63mm and using Iridient for raw conversion, the color was very accurate and the images sharp edge to edge.  It will obviously take some real testing but I'm very pleased with what I see so far.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 03:16:33 am »

I'd like to know how fast and accurate eye detection is.
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up