Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Dropping My X1D Order, Affirming My GFX Order  (Read 39791 times)

Bo_Dez

Re: Dropping My X1D Order
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 12:56:25 pm »

I agree that it doesn't feel like a camera. Thankfully. It handles better than any camera I have ever used. Everything else feels and handles like a brick by comparison. And BTW, EVERY camera is a recording device. That's its function. So, I am not sure what you mean.

Like I said it's probably ahead of its time. Personally I will be happy with a Hasselblad V and a Leica M6.

Every camera is a recording device but some are more, but it's maybe more to do with lenses. If you don't know what that means then it doesn't matter.  ;)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 12:59:39 pm »

Hi,

OVF means mostly SLR technique and that means a shutter release lag. With OVF the shutter release lag can be very short, say 20 ms, but the viewfinder image may also have a significant lag.

The odds may be that you won't shoot birds in flight or fast, unpredictable action like say ice hockey with an MF DSLR.

One thing I have sort of noticed that folks who use EVF regularly sort of prefer it. It can be set up as What You See is What You Get. For me personally the magnified live is the essential parameter. OVF has some problems in bright conditions, but a good rubber eyecup helps a lot and I prefer to work with an eyecup on DSLRs, too. In the dark an OVF can be magnificent.

EVFs can drop the mirror box and can therefore offer a short flange distance, that makes the camera compatible with view cameras like the Cambo Actus or in my case the pocket size tilt and shift adapter called HCam Master TS II.

This is not saying that EVF is preferable to OVF, but EVF is an enabling technology in many senses.

Best regards
Erik
This should be the case on all digital touch screens now.  Apple still owns the patent on using you fingers in a pinching movement to zoom in and out. 

Insofar as my gripes about the system, I have the same two I have with all mirrorless cameras, the EVF lag and its poor performance in high contrast or low light situations.  This is a camera made for handheld use, and to have a lag in the view finder is unacceptable.  High contrast scenes make highlights and shadows in the VF too bright and too dark with little mid tones, and possibly way too much noise in lower light situations. 

I will continue with my OVFs for now, although I would love the lower weight.   
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:10:06 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 02:27:20 pm »

Hi Eric

Don't you mean EVF's drop the mirror box?  This allows the shorter flange distance?

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

hubell

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 02:58:00 pm »

Like I said it's probably ahead of its time. Personally I will be happy with a Hasselblad V and a Leica M6.

Every camera is a recording device but some are more, but it's maybe more to do with lenses. If you don't know what that means then it doesn't matter.  ;)

All cameras are recording devices. You may prefer the way one camera "records" ("creamy" and "dreamy" bokeh) to the way another records ("clinical"), but they are still recording devices. All painters feel that way. Many photographers want to believe it is otherwise.

NickT

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2017, 03:06:31 pm »

I think this is a great thread. I have decided not to buy several cameras this year.

I've also decided not to by some strobe gear and a car.

I'm going out to dinner tonight but I've decided not to buy the fish because it just isn't meaty enough and doesn't really suit my meal needs.

Bo_Dez

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 05:11:49 pm »

I think this is a great thread. I have decided not to buy several cameras this year.

I'm going out to dinner tonight but I've decided not to buy the fish because it just isn't meaty enough and doesn't really suit my meal needs.

So you'd rather discuss why people shouldn't discuss cameras on a camera discussion board?

jamgolf

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 05:26:31 pm »

I don't know if its a great thread or not but it is as useful as a thread titled "Keeping My X1D Order" or "I just placed an X1D order".
OP is providing his reasoning and thought process, for canceling his order. Some might find that useful.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:58:34 pm by jamgolf »
IQ3 100 • Cambo 1600 • Rodenstock 32,50,90 • Zeiss 350SA
[URL=http://"http:

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 06:13:43 pm »

I could go on and on, and I have been following all of this for seven months. I have learned more from Lloyd Chamber’s new MF section than anywhere else. He actually has an X1D and is putting it through its paces. I need all of the chapters and verse and it is worth the subscription price.

I've been reading Lloyd Chamber's reviewing of the X1D with interest as well. Image quality is outstanding on the whole, but he describes issues with various aspects of using the camera, e.g. the lack of a 4-way controller (or joystick, as you mention, Michael) as notable hassles for him. One of the ones that surprised me the most was is that, apparently, you can't view an image in Playback mode through the EVF. This is a feature that is really nice on EVFs that allows you review an image for critical focus, especially when zooming in and scrolling through the image. He also mentions exposure variation at different apertures and observations using fill flash. Perhaps some of these can be addressed with firmware upgrades.

Well worth a subscription, IMHO, for reading, and for reference comparing to other MF camera systems.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 07:41:18 pm »

Finally some progress and new MF gear and already people are complaining.

It must be the low price.

Edmund

I've been reading Lloyd Chamber's reviewing of the X1D with interest as well. Image quality is outstanding on the whole, but he describes issues with various aspects of using the camera, e.g. the lack of a 4-way controller (or joystick, as you mention, Michael) as notable hassles for him. One of the ones that surprised me the most was is that, apparently, you can't view an image in Playback mode through the EVF. This is a feature that is really nice on EVFs that allows you review an image for critical focus, especially when zooming in and scrolling through the image. He also mentions exposure variation at different apertures and observations using fill flash. Perhaps some of these can be addressed with firmware upgrades.

Well worth a subscription, IMHO, for reading, and for reference comparing to other MF camera systems.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 07:45:01 pm »

Finally some progress and new MF gear and already people are complaining.

It must be the low price.

Edmund

Lloyd loves the image quality, micro-contrast, dynamic range and color from what he's written, and the lenses. He does have some issues with how he needs to work effectively with the camera; his needs are as valid as anyone else's.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 07:57:11 pm »

Lloyd loves the image quality, micro-contrast, dynamic range and color from what he's written, and the lenses. He does have some issues with how he needs to work effectively with the camera; his needs are as valid as anyone else's.

I'm not criticizing Lloyd, just it's obvious that the H and M have 20 years of bugfixes, so the newcomers should be allowed a couple of firmware upgrades to fix their minor ergonomic issues.

I got a Fuji X100, stored it because it was hopeless to use without thinking, 6 years later with two firmware upgrades it's the camera which Leica should be making.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2017, 08:10:51 pm »

Thanks Paul!

Erik

Hi Eric

Don't you mean EVF's drop the mirror box?  This allows the shorter flange distance?

Paul Caldwell
Erik Kaffehr

hubell

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2017, 09:42:02 pm »

I agree with Lloyd that the image quality from the X1D files is exceptional. I have no problem accepting that he has issues with the X1D not matching his needs as to the way he likes to work. However, I have not had any difficulties working the way I like to work shooting what I like to shoot. I frequently like to shoot multiple files at different focus points to blend together in Helicon Focus. I will move around the focus points to where I want to focus and then use back button AF to focus in those spots. Is it as easy as it would be with a joystick? No, but it was still pretty quick and easy.

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 10:31:05 pm »

I agree with Lloyd that the image quality from the X1D files is exceptional. I have no problem accepting that he has issues with the X1D not matching his needs as to the way he likes to work. However, I have not had any difficulties working the way I like to work shooting what I like to shoot. I frequently like to shoot multiple files at different focus points to blend together in Helicon Focus. I will move around the focus points to where I want to focus and then use back button AF to focus in those spots. Is it as easy as it would be with a joystick? No, but it was still pretty quick and easy.

That is good to hear it is working for so well for you. If look at Lloyd's photo of a rushing stream taken with a 5 minute exposure in near darkness, the image quality and results are quite impressive. I saw your thread and photos about how compact the system is with three lenses in your backpack. Very nicely compact. Looks like it will be very easy to use in the field and transport around, which is always a good thing. Personally, I think it's great we have such nice entries in the MF market that are mirror-less.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:43:26 pm by Stephen Scharf »

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 10:37:59 pm »

I'm not criticizing Lloyd, just it's obvious that the H and M have 20 years of bugfixes, so the newcomers should be allowed a couple of firmware upgrades to fix their minor ergonomic issues.

I got a Fuji X100, stored it because it was hopeless to use without thinking, 6 years later with two firmware upgrades it's the camera which Leica should be making.

Edmund

Agreed. Let's hope that they can address these. Hubell had some great recommendations in the Hasselblad Digital Forum. 

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 11:11:51 pm »

Lloyd has been putting up more data in his initial review. His image of a oak tree showing the dynamic range capability of the X1D is...impressive, to say the least.

Osprey

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 11:50:04 pm »

.One thing I have sort of noticed that folks who use EVF regularly sort of prefer it. It can be set up as What You See is What You Get.

Horrible for halfway challenging flash work though.  Have to go into settings and turn it off unless you enjoy viewing your subject as a silhouette while you take pictures.   

Bo_Dez

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 07:40:21 am »

All cameras are recording devices. You may prefer the way one camera "records" ("creamy" and "dreamy" bokeh) to the way another records ("clinical"), but they are still recording devices. All painters feel that way. Many photographers want to believe it is otherwise.

If a camera simply records what the eye sees, then it's a recording device.

If a camera has certain characteristics that can be appropriated to creative endeavour then it becomes something more.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2017, 07:46:27 am »

The X1D is beautiful to look at (and probably hold), but like the Pentax K1 (which I returned), it is not ready IMO for the kind of work I do. I hope the Fuji GFX will be more like what I need. Otherwise, I look to the NIkon D820 for the immediate future.

P.S. I also returned the Sony A7r and A7rII for similar reasons. Just color me particular.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

voidshatter

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2017, 08:11:41 am »

That is good to hear it is working for so well for you. If look at Lloyd's photo of a rushing stream taken with a 5 minute exposure in near darkness, the image quality and results are quite impressive. I saw your thread and photos about how compact the system is with three lenses in your backpack. Very nicely compact. Looks like it will be very easy to use in the field and transport around, which is always a good thing. Personally, I think it's great we have such nice entries in the MF market that are mirror-less.

Lloyd says the long exposure is better than D810's, which is hard to believe, and if true, better than excellent!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up